Mozilla Community Store - Zazzle.com
Inspired by a T-shirt design contest held earlier this year (), we're creating a new "Community" Store where Firefox fans from around the world can design, customize, and buy their own stuff - focusing initial launch on T-shirts/Apparel. We've partnered with Zazzle.com which offers high quality print-on demand services with global reach to help manage and host the store on their site.
The Community Store will be a side-kick to the official Mozilla Store, which currently has limitations in inventory and shipping - so our intention is not to compete, but foster the Firefox design community by opening our creative process a little more. The Mozilla Store will operate as usual and feature unique items not offered in the Community Store. Revenue generation is not a primary goal and all items will be sold at minimum cost. Proceeds will support the Mozilla Foundation.
Community Empowerment & Branding
- Continue to grow and establish the design community through a new channel of engagement
- Strengthen and spread Mozilla brand through customized / community generated products
Main contact: Tara / JSlater
Contact at Zazzle: Tracy Clements
PR contact: Melissa
WebDev contact: Morgamic, Alex, Ryan
Q/A contact: stephend
Legal contact: cBrady
- NewStore Deployment:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=461393
- Zazzle Contract: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=438468
- Click agreement: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=449631
- Domain Name:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=460688
This Timeline needs to be adjusted for a new target launch date of November 24th
- Mock-up and Content Structure [approved]
- [10/17] Design files and Feedback hand-off [in progress]
- First mockups and files sent
- First batch of copy, sent
- [11/07] Webdev to finish building the site.
- [11/14] Q/A to be complete
- Product Placement [done]
- New back designs to be provided (Tara) http://www.intothefuzz.com/2008/10/17/getfirefoxcom-vs-firefoxcom/
- [10/24] API Product templates complete [in process]
- [10/24] Store complete
Initial blog post
About:mozilla newsletter R1
Update on all-hands call
Discuss PR outlets with Melissa
- Sending Bloggers some shirt samples (Tara / Melissa )
Schedule conf call with Zazzle PR lead to discuss outreach / syncing up PR efforts (Tara)
- Sync up with UK (Melissa)
Discuss Campus Rep outlets with Jay
- create postcards (tbd)
- SFX post (tbd)
Photoshoot for sample products, tentatively scheduled for 10/23
- products are here
- Models: Amie, Melissa, Laura, Ryan, Juan
Second update blog post by 10/24, encouraging designs to begin.
- [10/27] - 10/14] Tara OOO
- [11/03] Begin initial outreach to design schools and groups. (Tara / Slater)
JSlater to contact seneca art school
- http://www.T-ShirtContests.com (contact is Matt)
- [11/03] Submit request for Google Snippet
- Graphic (Tara)
Polished copy (Jslater)
- Sync with Goog + review with pkim (Rolo)
- [11/17] Tara back in office
- [11/17] Create Spreadfirefox group: "Mozilla Store Community of Designers"
- Linking from TContest group
- Providing a channel for discussion
- [11/19] Target Launch date , no later than [11/24-12/02]
- Submit request for about:mozilla newsletter R2 (Tara)
- Article + Side graphic (currently links to original Store)
- Google Snippet (Rolo)
- Entire marketing team to blog! cross link and go crazy.
- Zazzle Merch booths, widgets and more: http://www.zazzle.com/sell/promotion/tools
- "about" page
- "what's new"
- SFX: Featured Project (Alix)
- SFX: Campus Rep (Jay)
- Press outlets (Melissa)
- Notify Bloggers of launch
- Moz Blog
- Notify Bloggers of launch
- Zazzle: (Tracy/Tara)
- Zazzle blog
- Email blast to opted in members
- Front page promo - temporary expos
Currently the Store will focus on a variety of t-shirt styles (still offering 400+ options to choose from). In the future, we can expand the design selections to:
- Re-purposing designs from internal projects and campaigns such as Mozilla.com, Robot, etc such as those from Mozilla.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/intothefuzz/sets/72157606069938392/
- Host design challenges or contests, keeping entire pool open to print.
- Promotional merchandise created by us as limited items.
- Including a set of images where people can mash up in a variety of ways. For example the Firefox Logo plus some fun elements they can stitch together. This is part of Zazzle's current offering
- Including template shirts, where people can input their names and how they are involved with the Mozilla Project. "My name is ____ I work on ____". Something like that.
- Of course, we can also expand the product lines to include a wide variety of other items.
Finalize click agreement with cbrady
Contact designers from contest pool to seed the store.
- Resulting in 50+ designs/products
- Identify other design sources [done]
- re-purposing designs from internal projects and campaigns such as Mozilla.com, Robot, etc such as those from Mozilla.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/intothefuzz/sets/72157606069938392/
- Customizable "name" shirts. Perhaps a way for community members to say how they are involved with the project. "I'm ____ and I work on ____". These serve as templates which can be filled in and customized by anyone.
- Product line:
- All T-shirt styles between women, men, and kids. Offering 400+ varieties.
- Product placement and Store maintenance will be covered primarily by Zazzle team.
- Product templates sent to Zazzle
- Possibly including other merch categories in the future.
COMMUNITY STORE WEB PROPERTIES:
- Zazzle Store: zazzle.com/mozilla
- Currently hidden
- Will feature a limited number of products which will help increase visibility and sales within the established Zazzle community.
- Main gallery hosted by us: communitystore.mozilla.org
- Color palette and style echoing Mozilla.com / Mozilla Store
- Site / page layouts [done]
- Main header banner [done - tbd]
- Pages elements:
- Landing page / Gallery view. Customizable with category filters
- Design Guidelines
- Upload tool
- Thank you / confirmation page
- About the Store
- Tag Cloud / Tag Search
- Homepage [to be designed]
- Gallery [drafted]
- Design Preview page [to be designed]
- About page [drafted]
- FAQ [drafted]
- Design guidelines and steps [drafted]
- Upload tool [drafted]
- Thank you page [drafted]
- Bug File for domain name: CommunityStore.Mozilla.com [done]
- Q/A [pending assignment]
- Identify input fields [done]
- Email (required)
- Fname / Lname (search tag unless chosen to be anonymous)
- Web portfolio / blog (for reference, no published due to security)
- File (required) Auto detect very low res files.
- Design name and/or tags (searchable)
- Background display color (required)
- JPG files will default to a white background. OK for printing.
- PNG files need a background color
- Upload preview
- Term of Agreement
- Privacy click option
- Admin Interface
- Place all designs in queue via spreadsheet view
- Allow for batch updates:
- batch delete, approve, tag, theme, etc.
- Build actual tool with webdev [pending]
- First mockups reviewed, feedback provided
FLOW / WALKTHROUGH
- Main landing page is communitystore.mozilla.org
- Users can browse gallery by:
- Featured products, recent, popular, category themes, all, or keyword search.
- Users can create their own design, we have guidelines to help them
- They can upload a design. Once uploaded the confirmation page gives two options:
- Head back to the gallery
- Head over to zazzle to customize, create and buy right now via API.
- All designs are reviewed (by Zazzle or Mozilla) for brand / style guidelines