Scribed by Ksenia
ETP Shims (thomas)
The ETP shim have been landed. Thomas will give a status.
- tom: those are new type of interventon listeniing for a network request and overwright certain things, but a bit more complicacted than changing the UA/css. when a shim kicks in and a user is a strict mode there will be a console.log. if a site is broken, it worth checking in private window with strict mode enabled
- karl: can it be replaced with a different version of a script on our side?
- tom: yes. if you could think of any candidates, let me know :)
- james: are there webextension api being used?
- tom: yes
Monitoring Help Menu - Report Site Issue (karl)
Report Site Issue has been moved from the meatball to the help menu. To note that in the current scenario, the meatball menu has NOT been removed yet. So it's probably a bit weird to have the Report Site Issue moved over there. We need to get the number, probably next week.
- karl: the Proton project plans to remove meatball menu elsewhere. as an experiment Report site issue was moved to the Help menu and we are trying to figure out how reports are affected. the problem is that meatball menu wasn't moved anywhere. lets treat it as an experiment
- denis: writing a tool to compare report numbers
- james: the long term plan for the meatball is to be removed?
- dennis: yeah, it will be removed completely. Report site issue can be potentially placed in the beginning of the url bar
- karl: Report Site Issue was enabled on iOS, so we might get a little bit more reports
BugBug vs Webcompat ML (ksenia)
We are in the process of discussing if we should/could use the ML pipeline of BugBug instead of managing our own devops for ML.
- Ksenia: There is a similar project to our ML bot, working specifically on Bugzilla, called BugBug. I'm talking to the maintainer, Marco, and there is the possibility that we can replace parts of our ML stuff with BugBug. We'd have to write the GitHub issue retrieval, but we would not have to maintain a bot. I'm not sure how much work that would be, I'll have meetings to figure that out.
- Karl: Would be very cool, and will free time for us to make things more clever - and less DevOps.
- James: Marco is excited about doing the learning stuff and has some expertise there. Makes a lot of sense to reuse this code and have Marco maintain the ML pipeline, since he's doing that anywhere. It's also likely to be continued.
- Tom: Which programming language is that written in?
- Karl: Python.
Capping User Agent String (karl)
Status about the discussion and what will happen next. https://www.otsukare.info/2021/03/02/capping-user-agent-string
- karl: new macOS version broke some sites. Apple decided to cap the UA string for Safari and we did the same thing. We need everyone to be on the same page. There is a discovering right now on which part of UA string we can freeze. Another big part is fingerprinting.
FYI. Fission and wpt ( 👹 )
- james: been helping the Fission team to make sure that wpt tests are not regressed by Fission
Two Minutes ( 👹 )
This is the summary of what you have done during the last two weeks. * Feel free to add your own 2 minutes. * Keep it short. * Feel free to add your name if you think you need to share something.
- Dennis: Diagnosis, investigating touch radius issues, outreach, writing a tool to compare webbug numbers per Nightly cycle, ...
- Karl: Meetings and Diagnosis. Closing a lot of old bugs related to Marquee and discovering issues still valid. Adding a UseCounter for DOMMouseScroll. Fixing stuff on webcompat.com and dashboard. Adding detection for firefox ios. Collecting issues about wheel and friends. Capping UA string coordination. Management stuff for grumpiness optimisation. Starting gardening.
- Ksenia: Documented automation part of ML bot. Now trying to figure out how the model was built.
- Tom: ETP shims landed, documentation/blog posts/etc are getting done. Phase 2 soon! Also, can't wait for winter to end, and neither can my dog.
PTO / Travel ( 👹 )
(no more travel until the end of 2020… probably) Coming holidays across the world https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/ March 29-April 2 (Dennis, PTO) June 22-26 (TomW, PTO)
FYI: 2021H1 Ideas (karl)
Let's keep this around so we have a reference. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w3_AU4ZYJJLSkqOW5j_6K49JxmutEsxcpsiwHXz8Tbw/edit?usp=sharing