- 1 Actions from last meeting
- 2 General Topics / Roundtable
- 3 Friends of the Firefox team
- 4 Project Updates
- 5 This week I learned
Actions from last meeting
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- [MattN] Looking into options for form auto-fill (multiple fields at once). Currently in proposal/planning stages.
- [mhoye] Engineering onboarding sessions begin today. Join #engineering-onboarding to participate.
- [RyanVM] New Firefox QE data engineers
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees): https://mzl.la/2arWY45
- More than one bug fixed:
- Geoff Lankow (:darktrojan)
- PSA - With e10s enabled, initial browser in new windows will soon be remote by default
- Shipping to 1% of our release channel target population, starting today! Looking for saturation by Friday.
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/E10s/Status/July22 (URL is erroneous, this is for July 29)
Firefox Core Engineering (+ team formerly known as "performance engineering")
- Reminder: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_Core_Engineering
- Symbolapi.m.o is being rewritten (temporarily? unless it's performant enough). (Rewrite will include the current ability to use local symbol files.)
- Client-side stackwalking:
- pushed out slightly -- moving minidump analyzer to its own executable, launched by the crashreporter.
- we are using the crash ping as the transmission vehicle. Post-submission data analysis determination is the next focus.
- still aiming for FF50 uplift (Nightly/Aurora only, regardless of version).
- Plugin/Flash blocking:
- still in definition phase (determining heuristics, UI, messaging, etc)
- setting up TestPilot approach
- Telemetry work (I can add more on that if people want more -- it's about dashboards, data, and aggregation changes; dunno how much interests/affects platform)
- Activities winding down
- Passing on system add-ons & process knowledge to other areas.
- Most of the team working on activity stream at least in the short term.
- mixedpuppy is cleaning up Social API
Platform UI and other Platform Audibles
- [Tim Chien (no audio/video)] Date/time input in-flight; Front-end UI panel WIP (HTML-based) to be posted this week for feedback (who should review this?)
- bug 1283381 - still empty, should have something tomorrow
- mconley and jaws are going to be mentoring a project to update and upgrade the styling and interactions around <select> dropdowns
- Bug 1091592 - Implement improved style for <select> dropdowns
- PWA on Fennec work by daleharvey is proceeding apace - concentrating on theme-ing the toolbar based on the web manifest
- Bug 1189618 - Update the style of the password manager autocomplete popup
- Going to replace the XUL tree-based autocomplete popup with a richlistbox one instead to get the styling
- In the process of refactoring and deduplicating the e10s and non-e10s Autocomplete mechanisms
- [MattN] Captive portal code has been put behind a Nightly-only pref as there are some MVP issues to finish and Nihanth has been on vacation after his internship ended.
- [MattN] Finalizing short-term password manager priorities to prepare for more contributors
- [MattN] New "Password Manager: Site Compatibility" component for pwmgr issues specific to certain sites
- In the control center panel, the permission dropdowns have been replaced with 'X' buttons (bug 1203292)
Quality of Experience
- New work starting soon:
- Dao working on long-awaited fixes to theme bugs in Windows high-contrast mode (A11Y, bug 1016556)
- Mike and Jared will be creating a plan for replacing XUL themes
- [Tim Chien (no audio/video)] Ray Lin is working on video control visual fresh and de-XUL, in-flight
- [Tim Chien (no audio/video)] Fischer Liu has swept in-content pref bugs and picking on low-hanging fruits.
- Mike de Boer is continuing work on the new dimmed and highlighted find toolbar
- Follow along in the meta-bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1291278 for when it gets enabled again
- jaws is working on un-janking our panel animations
- zoom controls in location bar are getting real close to complete
- HiDPI images for Windows 10 start tiles is in review now
- (Gijs on PTO, still working on automigration)
- Dao working on updates to last-used-order CTRL-Tab tab switching
- Now discoverable in about:preferences
- The awesomeness of this feature made me all teary-eyed.
- One off buttons in the awesomebar panel ready to land, will be behind a Nighly-only pref to give us time to handle feedback
- Short-term fix for hi-res favicons ready to land. Long-term fix still being worked on.
This week I learned
- [mconley] Blob URLs can now be shared between processes and work properly
- So if you need to pass images or files between processes, don't serialize to a Data URL. Use a Blob URL.
- (if they're not shared over the message manager, how's the data get across processes?)
- Details are in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1279186
- [mconley] I'm guessing there's some shmem magic going on, but I honestly haven't looked.