< Labs | Bespin | StatusMeetings
Bespin Reboot Project Update
- Wednesday, November 11 - 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
- Aiming to have the call on Skype, due to superior sound quality
- Contact BlazingThings (Kevin Dangoor) on Skype
- #bespin for backchannel
If you have trouble with Skype, feel free to email email@example.com or get in touch with kdangoor on IRC and we can use the standard phone conference bridge as well.
- Reboot Recap
- The purpose of the project is to move part of Bespin out of the "experiment" phase and onward to something more usable in the real world
- Process changes: code review, docs and unit tests
- Rebuild around plugins
- CommonJS modules (potential server-side plugins)
- SproutCore GUI toolkit
- Bespin Embedded becomes a first class citizen
- Non-goals: redoing the UI, major server-side changes
- Reboot status
- Lots of code shuffling in the repo!
- New packages: bespin, bespin-supported, bespin-labs
- supported are plugins that are, at this time, core parts of the user experience and relatively stable
- labs are plugins that are not yet stable
- Everything is in CommonJS modules
- the scrollbars in the editor have been broken out into a separate SC component so that we can use the framework properly
- the editor now supports the standard SC ScrollView interface, so you can actually swap out the scrollbars
- New docs
- Starting of new tests
- Bespin Embedded preview release this week
- will have bugs, but largely work
- first actual downloadable tarball with docs and everything, ready to place on your site.
- Need to bring back the rest of bespin.mozilla.com
- Next week, the server will be re-attached for login
- Plugins and command line to follow in the couple of weeks after that
- Likely some intermediate releases of Bespin Embedded
- Shooting for December 15th to release Bespin 0.6 on bespin.mozilla.com.
- Won't necessarily have all of the features of the current bespin.mozilla.com
- Will have *enough* of the features, and some nice new changes (including plugins)
- Julian: Concern about the size, with SproutCore specifically
- Kevin: Current size is 700k, can be slimmed down a lot. Aiming for same size as old build
- Julian: Can we use SproutCore require?
- Kevin: We're going to manually trim packages for now
- Julian: Can we have Bespin without SproutCore?
- Kevin: No
- cers (IRC): Will SproutCore fix the I18N problems?
- Kevin: Probably not, but we will
- robotarmy (IRC): Is SproutCore replacing Dojo?
- Kevin/Joe: Yes
- Julian: What happened to version 0.5?
- Kevin: The first embedded release will be 0.5. Then the first rebooted full release will be 0.6. Then 1.0 will be fairly soon after then.