Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-10-22 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 5.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
- 5.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 5.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 5.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 5.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 5.16 Firefox OS Telephony/Connectivity (kenhkchang)
- 5.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 5.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 5.19 GFX (milan)
- 5.20 Identity (jedp)
- 5.21 JS (naveed)
- 5.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.23 Media (jesup)
- 5.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.25 Performance (vladan)
- 5.26 Plugins (bsmedberg)
- 5.27 Seceng (mmc)
- 5.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Note: Please start using the 'feature' keyword on bugs that could benefit from advance notice to QA, Stability, User Advocacy, Press team and others so that those bugs show up on https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Release_Tracking based on target milestone
|Next Merge: February 13, 2023||Next Release: February 14, 2023|
|Central: 111||Aurora: 54||Beta: 110||Release:
- Unless a new critical issue is identified, FF25 is now code complete
- We spun up our final beta and an RC last night with this changeset from b9
- Sign-off is Thursday, followed by merge (!!) on Monday and release on Tuesday alongside 17.0.10 and 24.1
- B2G v1.2 (Gecko 26) will diverge from the Aurora/Beta track on Monday, v1.3 (Gecko 28) will continue development on mozilla-central
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 110 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
- overholt: I'm making the guidelines around exposing things to the web "official"
- watch for "Is this good for the WEB?" (a la Office Space; see relevant clip from movie here) banners in various MozSpaces
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- The main work: Q4 Goals
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
App Tools (dtownsend)
- App Manager announcement
- Manifest editor has landed, preffed off
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Light week. Only 33 bugs fixed including App Manager.
- Reflows in Web Console landing bug 926371
- Hoping to get CodeMirror landed for Firefox 27 merge. bug 919709
- Added color swatches to Inspector Style view bug 918716
- Debugger responsive when side-docked bug 927375
- Better Error handling and display in the Debugger bug 812764
- Hide Non-enumerable properties in the JSON tab in Network Monitor bug 862344
Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- Front end polish and bug fixing continues.
- APZC: Kats and botond have come over for a short period to help out on all our of scroll and zoom issues. Lots of bug triage took place last week. Most every bug has been updated (bug 886321). Bug fixing will commence after a work week this week.
- After lots of feedback at the summit, we are seriously considering switching from a separate profile to a shared profile with desktop (bug 924860). Investigation into this is currently taking place. Some key notes:
- Users would have to chose a default browser mode (metro or desktop) on Win8 and up. Only one mode would be active at a time.
- Launching the browser from any location (shortcut/tile) would launch into the default mode.
- Users would be able to switch from one mode to the other within each browser. This would shut down the existing instance and relaunch the other using the same profile.
- Most everything would be shared, although certain user data sets (most notably bookmarks and prefs) would be kept separate.
If you have any thoughts/feedback on the above please post in the public metro mailing list (email@example.com), to the tracking bug, or chat with one of us in #windev.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Overhaul of the favicon system landed in Fx27 bug 914296
- Landed in Fx27 bug 742832 - Add support for tab sharing for getUserMedia
- Uplifted to Aurora: bug 917947 - Search engine icons are minuscule in search engine preference dialog on large DPI devices
- Converging and testing the new about:home for Fx26 continues
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- Sprint 3 is in progress
- Team is committed for 29 koi+
- 18 remain
- Team is committed for 29 koi+
- 1.3 features
- DSDS is the highest priority
- Scope is defined, some uses cases are still in discussion
- Api and implementation work are in progress
- DSDS is the highest priority
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 1.2 Blocking Bugs
- 1.3 User Stories in Progress
- [Music] [User Story] Provide access to music controls in the notifications tray - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902981
- [Music] [User Story] Provide access to music player controls when the screen is locked - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=891024
- [Gallery] [User Story] Edit image orientation to correct for tilt sensor
- [Gallery] [User Story] Image Enhancement - color and light balancing https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=917445
- [Gallery] [User Story] Display Image File info on Gallery - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925216
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- FxOS 1.2 Blockers
- 10.25 Sprint
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Current sprint activity: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/867311
- v1.2: Ongoing fixes for blocking bugs
- v1.3: Good progress on POP3 support last week. Basic operations are working (recv, send, move) and will be ready for review this week.
Firefox OS Telephony/Connectivity (kenhkchang)
- Last week
- Fix koi+ issues.
- RTSP Client, to add the test cases for RTSP
- NFC -
- To refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
- To add NFC communication protocol in NFCD .
- EAP-SIM, try to read the authentication data from SIM card, testing in Nexus 4.
- Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
- WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager.
- WIFI-Direct, to support start/stop DHCP server in Network Manager.
- Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI.
- This week
- Fix koi+ issues.
- RTSP Client, to add suspend and resume functions.
- NFC, to refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
- EAP-SIM, to discuss with partner to have their support.
- Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
- WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager, implementing.
- WIFI-Direct, to implement the main codes of wifi-direct.
- Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
Please read our full status at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Team/Taipei/Meetings/2013-10-22
v1.1hd: e.me bugs is finally fixed. need to uplift a few patches. mostly lefts are [POVB]s and visual bugs and left others to handle. v1.2: koi?/+ is on track to be reduced to Zeero next (or next next week)
- Input cursor management: Engineering planning with SC and Phoebe. Maybe at risk depend on what we figured out.
- Camera work: halt. status changed to nice-to-have and wait for UX input
- DSDS: specific bugs created and is being worked on. Will be working on API change assurances first.
- NFC: Still figuring out how Gaia-Gecko should divide the work. Work week coming next week.
- Settings (EAP-SIM/MTP/SD card format): MTP is dropped from v1.3. SD card format is waiting on UX spec. EAP-SIM is waiting on UX spec.
- Tablet: UX spec released and is being worked on. Need to resolve Music app conflict with Media team. E.me have some landing issue too.
- CDMA: tracking. No outstanding issue.
- 3rd-party keyboard support: Working on v1.2 left overs. Some eng. conflicts to be resolved today.
- Zhuyin IME: In-memory search completed. Set-up CI with SlimerJS. Next: estimate performance on low-end phone and update Gaia patch
- Settings engineering: Need more planning and discussion.
- Window management update: no update this week.
- IME API w/ hardware keyboard: No feedback on dev-webapi, but Jan have been working on a apc.io bug according to the API proposal.
- Hardware button events for apps: no update
- Bluetooth file queue: UX spec released, to be worked on this week.
- Bluetooth keyboard: On halt. Not a v1.3 feature.
- Hardware showcase app: just landed \o/!
- Screenshot comparison tool: in progress.
- Compiler (JIT)
- Worked to land last of patches needed to speed up Dromaeo.
- Garbage Collection
- Now down to the neighborhood of 15-17 hazards in the browser.
- Front End and Other
- Generators are in SpiderMonkey central - http://wingolog.org/archives/2013/10/07/es6-generators-and-iteration-in-spidermonkey
- Intl patchwork: landed patch to make Intl initialization fully lazy, wrote/landed patch to make mochitests be fine with the presence/absence of Intl as appropriate for branch/nightly/b2g/etc. -- Intl is now on in nightlies! \o/ more work to be done yet re updating ICU, but we're in good shape on this front, finally
- Got better child process memory reporting working. Now need to clean up the patch and post for review.
- Dealt with several bugs that conspired together to take out AreWeFastYet .
- Compiler (JIT)
- Reduced output delay in AudioStream/cubeb landed (some cleanup still occurring)
- TURN over TCP will be available on nightly soon
- Latency measurement code is being extended
- Innovative uses of DataChannels are appearing - http://uproxy.org/ and http://blippex.com/
- Converted PeerConnection and some related bits to WebIDL
- Preparing an about:webrtc with details about ICE, connections and stats (will grow over time)
- WebAudio will hit Release for Desktop and Android in 25 (next week); B2G in 1.2
- For network performance tests, we'll be lobbying for "webpagetest" to be canonical, not tp5
- motivator: predictive network API ("seer") (bug 881804) seeing 5% speedup on webpagetest "page revisit" example, but causes 6% tp5 regression.
- expect a post to dev-tree-management soon from Nick Hurley with more info.
- yes, we should move webpagetest infrastructure out of Bob Clary's basement :)
- Looks like we're finally mopped up all followup bugs from landing off-main OnDataAvailable for image parsing.
- HTTP/2: spec work continues. Too many bugs discovered in draft 6, so we won't be shipping a version of it.
- HTTP cache re-write: working on in-memory index.
- bug 810149 and bug 846921: Investigating feasibility of skipping resursive directory scans for unpacked addons. If it's possible, it should give us a big startup time win
- bug 807322: Improving Android cold startup time
- bug 929494: Using template typedefs, not inheritance, to define nsTArray element copiers results in code size savings on Android of about 570K (!), or ~2% of libxul .text size
- Java block was deployed Friday. Expected negative feedback is flowing, but not at the moment too terribly. Mainly watching some high-value sites, such as pogo and a few banks (TD ameritrade).
- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-enable-java-if-its-been-blocked shows the UI
- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Site_Author_Guide_for_Click-To-Activate_Plugins is something we can reach out to broken sites
- Goals finalized: https://wiki.mozilla.org/SecurityEngineering/2013/Q4Goals
- OCSP: bug 918120 landed to reduce OCSP timeouts (cviecco)
- PSM: bug 911336 landed to help with NSS shutdown crashes(cviecco)
- CSP: bug 927493 landed to short-circuit CSP on B2G for certified apps but broke python gaia unittests (fabrice)
- Chromium sandbox progress: bug 922756 (bbondy)
- Cookies/Safebrowsing: bug 897516 landed to isolate safebrowsing cookie from other Google cookies (ckerschb)
- Marking downloads from internet zone on windows: bug 916126 to fix regression in FF 25 landed (affects FF 24 only)
- lots of discussion around proposed WebSerial API
- Workerification continues (bug 916204)
- priorities for Firefox OS: IndexedDB (bug 701634), TCP Socket (bug 916199), mozContacts (bug 916197), Data Store (bug 916196)
- if you want something to be available in workers, file a bug and block bug 916204
- Exposing JS implemented APIs in workers is hard (for now, we're working on ways to make it easier)
- SharedWorkers getting closer to being preffed on (bug 924089)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Kyle Huey wrote a chapter on MemShrink for the Performance of Open Source Applications.
- Overall numbers look good for all channels
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- Developer Productivity: The program management team is seeking suggestions for ways to improve Mozilla developers' workflow. (cpeterson)
- Please add your ideas and comments here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/kHpv9jvGMj
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Tom Schuster (evilpie) stopped the findbar clearing selections on autohide (bug 897872, bug 921343).
- Arnaud Bienner prevented multiple color pickers from appearing (bug 917917).
- Max Vujovic fixed a CSS parser assertion (bug 913990).
- Landry Breuil (gaston) maintained the OpenBSD port (bug 927810, bug 927898).
- Nils Maier (nmaier) corrected an OS.File regression (bug 926691).
- [first patch!] Bob Owen implemented the allow-popups sandbox directive (bug 766282).
- Rik Cabanier implemented standardized 2d canvas line dashing (bug 768067).
- Benjamin Peterson (benjamin) fixed some SpiderMonkey warnings (bug 926948, bug 928738).
- Soumya Kanti Chakraborty modernized some video controls JS (bug 926471).
- [first patch!] Narihiro Nakamura removed an unused macro (bug 899477).
- Ms2ger performed build system maintenance (bug 908142, bug 923249, bug 923395).
- Andy Wingo (wingo) made a bunch of iterator-related changes to SpiderMonkey (bug 919948, bug 923160, bug 924040, bug 924318).
- Marcos Aruj added a createUnique method to OS.File. (bug 866571).
- Dan Gohman (sunfish) fixed some SpiderMonkey problems (bug 918607, bug 923659, bug 924660, bug 925586).
- Sankha Narayan Guria (sankha93) made some exceptions non-silent, and fixed a SpiderMonkey Map problem (bug 864895, bug 918341).
- Anhad Jai Singh (ffledgling) added a mach command for quick pastebins (bug 902209).
- Tareq Khandaker made a WebIDL parser error more useful (bug 924397).
- [first patch!] Carsten Sommer fixed a gnome UI problem (bug 924395).
- Benjamin Bouvier (bbouvier) improved SpiderMonkey JIT performance (bug 918163).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
- Video: "Enter the Compartment - Gecko's Script Security Architecture Explained" by Bobby Holley
- Margaret: http://blog.margaretleibovic.com/post/64091037975/remote-developer-tools-and-firefox-for-android
- Finkle: http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2013/10/geckoview-embedding-gecko-in-your-android-application/
- khuey: The Performance of Open Source Applications: MemShrink
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
[2:00pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-10-22 [2:00pm] lmandel: gavin: Do you have a desktop update today? [2:01pm] gavin: lmandel: no [2:02pm] teoli joined the chat room. [2:03pm] johnath: lmandel: we're on, but can't control our vidyo, because #ipad [2:03pm] ozten joined the chat room. [2:03pm] vladan joined the chat room. [2:03pm] lmandel: johnath: OK. Thanks. [2:03pm] KaiRo: bsmedberg: anything in stability update from your side today? [2:03pm] • lmandel hopes toronto has audio [2:04pm] johnath: lmandel: we do, and are probably unmuted now [2:04pm] bsmedberg: KaiRo: no, the Java stuff is in the plugin section [2:04pm] KaiRo: bsmedberg: ok, thanks [2:04pm] KaiRo: lmandel: in that case, nothing audible for stability today [2:04pm] lmandel: KaiRo: Thanks [2:04pm] johnath: robcee: one more "selfview" and a "0" will make things nearly perfect [2:05pm] mschifer joined the chat room. [2:05pm] blassey joined the chat room. [2:06pm] robcee: the new vidyo control software is hilarious. [2:08pm] margaret: woooo app manager [2:09pm] lsblakk: margaret: talk in london! [2:10pm] karl joined the chat room. [2:12pm] bsmedberg: 6% isn't really a "minor" regression... [2:13pm] chofmann left the chat room. (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.90.1 [Firefox 26.0a2/20131022004006]) [2:13pm] omeringen joined the chat room. [2:14pm] gavin: 6% in what? [2:15pm] gavin: (missed it) [2:16pm] marcia left the chat room. (Ping timeout) [2:16pm] chofmann joined the chat room. [2:16pm] lmandel: roundtable items? [2:18pm] lsblakk: mfinkle has the best blog name [2:19pm] robcee: 6% in vidyo disconnection time [2:20pm] robcee: (Tvd) [2:24pm] marcia joined the chat room. [2:24pm] Cww: akeybl: email sent about java & banking.