Talking about some of the learnings and takeaways we had from the snags we hit when implementing the Firefox 3 Theme. An agenda of things to talk about would be:
- making it easier to find / browse the file structure of a theme
- making it easier for themers to build themes, be aware of our changes
- what we need out of NSITheme (native widgets, native colours, colour theory)
- better ways to support Windows Classic
- do we need theme owners?
- do we need to localize themes?
There is a PDF of the whiteboard notes available, too.
- Lost in (directory) structure
- Hard-coded images
- Problems with platform-specific theme bits
- Not enough native colors/icons (high priority)
- Alternate "native" themes - colors & icons
- Tracking theme-impacting changes via Bugzilla keyword (high priority)
- Simple theme support
- CSS overlays
- Performance guidance & measurement
- Base theme / non-native theme
- Ship with multiple themes (XP & Vista)
- SVG images (high priority)
- Scalable UI
- CSS gradients