Firefox/Content Performance Program
Improve the performance of web content within the Firefox browsers.
- Compared top 20 sites for scroll and navigation performance between 3 browsers, filed 5 bugs.
- October 22: New observations page which summarizes all the experiments and their observations (both Desktop/Android).
- October 9: Q3 update
- June 16: Announcing the Content Performance program + 1st update
|IRC||#contentperf on irc.mozilla.org||devs, PMs|
|Mailing firstname.lastname@example.org||devs, PMs|
First Priorities (Q3 2015)
- Evaluate top sites (Aaron, Avi, Vladan)
- For the initial set of sites (Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo search) + Google properties + ~5-10 other top-sites we choose ourselves from Alexa top 20, do the following:
- Agree on & write up the "most common" use-cases (i.e. user interactions) with these sites
- Evaluate relative performance (wrt other browsers) for each of these uses-cases
- Profile & determine why our performance is worse
- This evaluation will need to be repeated for Fennec & mobile versions of sites, but with a smaller subset of sites
- Gfx impact on scrolling (Avi)
- Re-do Aaron's scrolling measurement (using the scrolling bookmarklet) on the reference HP laptop with the 3 reference sites (Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook) using every relevant gfx configuration setting (see my blog post for list + consider Windows theme impact).
- Windows 10 (Aaron)
- Compare content-perf on Windows 10 vs Windows 8
- Figure out how to make dynamic websites reproducible (Wander)
- New page-load test (Wander)
- Create a new cross-browser page-load test that measures how long it takes for the browser to become idle after loading a page (time-until-quiescent). This test could be a webpage
First Priorities (Q2 2015)
Improve the scrolling performance of Firefox on three websites: Twitter, Facebook, and Yahoo search results. See Aaron's Write Up: Focus on two platforms: See Hardware Distribution List, Here.
- A modern and popular Windows 8.1 laptop/tablet: HP Pavilion - 14t Touch Laptop
- The most popular Android phone: Galaxy S4
Optimize the following page navigation experiences:
- Entering a search term in the Firefox Homepage -> Yahoo search results listing
- Entering a search term in the Firefox search box -> Yahoo search results listing
- Yahoo search results listing -> an individual search result
Again, focusing on the Windows 8.1 laptop/tablet and a particular Android phone.
Existing Benchmarks and Measures
- Eideticker: http://eideticker.mozilla.org/#/android/samsung-gn/mozilla-central/nytimes-load-poststartup/timetostableframe/7
- Benchmark Results: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Benchmarks/Oct2013
- Benchmark Raw Data: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao22mdF2xZhudDVjQmc0c1RYMm1EVk11Q3lXZ1VMb1E&usp=sharing#gid=17
- Top Issues, Firefox for Android
|942609||--||[meta] Reduce Fennec's storage impact: APK and data||NEW|
|947390||--||[meta][project] Improve page load performance||NEW|
|959776||P5||[meta][project] Improve startup performance||NEW|
|979119||P5||[meta][project] Firefox for Android power consumption||NEW|
|996062||--||[meta] Low-res and slow painting issues when scrolling subframes in Fennec||RESOLVED||Kartikaya Gupta (email:email@example.com) (away until 17-Feb-2020)|
|1158951||--||[meta] - Reduce memory||RESOLVED|
6 Total; 4 Open (66.67%); 2 Resolved (33.33%); 0 Verified (0%);
- Moz bench for games: http://ouija.allizom.org/grafana/index.html#/dashboard/file/mozbench.json
See hardware inventory, here.
Vladan's team should do detailed diagnosis/profiling and suggest
- engineering projects
- measurement strategies
- Product sponsor/driver: bsmedberg
- Engineering program manager: elan
- Technical lead(s):
- Android: Avi Halachmi
- Windows: Vladan Djeric Aaron Klotz and I will look at Windows.