The Keon, a Firefox OS developer preview phone, is now available to all Reps! This is a huge milestone for the Mozilla community! We have allocated a few hundred phones specifically for Reps, who, as leaders in their communities and representatives in their region, are encouraged to test the device, to demo it, to share it with their fellow Mozillians, but also to share it with local developers if they want to test he capabilities of Fx OS in a real environment.
Testing, Demo'ing and Sharing
As a Rep, you will be able to request one Keon phone by filing a swag bug (see details below). Once you have the device, you'll be expected to regularly work with the following audiences:
This phone is first and foremost a device aimed at a developer audience, to test the capabilities of Firefox OS in a real environment with a mobile network and true hardware characteristics (like the accelerometer, which measures movement, the GPS, and the camera). Getting real phones into the hands of developers enables them to explore the potential of the open Web and bring the power of it all to mobile for billions of users worldwide.
Those who can't write lines of code can also play a critical role by "dogfooding" the device. You'll be asked to use the phone yourself but also to lend it to a fellow Mozillian who is committed to using the phone and filing bugs through bugzilla whenever a problem comes up.
Showcasing the power of Firefox OS to the general public is essential to raise awareness and interest. As a Rep, you'll be asked to demo the phone at all the events you will be organizing or attending.
If you need to fill a bug on bugzilla related to the Phone, please refer to this page prior. We ask you also to Append the bug summary to include [Keon] or [Peak]
Requesting a Keon device
To request your device, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Go to the swag request form
- Step 2: For the fields called "Event Name" and "Event Page", please enter the link to your Mozilla Reps profile page (yes, you will fill in your Reps profile link 3 times)
- Step 3: For the field called "Other (please specify)", type in "Mozilla Reps Keon Device"
- Step 4: Submit the form
- Step 5: Once you submit the bug, please make sure to leave a comment, detailing your mission statement following the template found here. Make sure also to cc your mentor in the Bug CC list.
- Step 6: Update the bug once you have received it by indicating the serial number (S/N) and IMEI number of your device.
- Step 7: The phone will come with a special leaflet with specific instructions and guidelines on how to best use your phone. A link to this leaflet will be shared on this wiki shortly.