Thunderbird meeting notes 2015-02-10. Previous meetings: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/StatusMeetings#Meeting_Notes
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Action items from last meetings
- 3 Friends of the tree
- 4 Current status and discussions
- 5 Critical Issues
- 6 Upcoming
- 7 Lightning to Thunderbird Integration
- 8 Round Table
- 9 Question Time
- 10 Support team
- 11 Other
- 12 Action Items
aceman, cloep, florian, jcranmer, Jorg K, mkmelin, Paneglab, rkent, Roland, sshagarwal, wsmwk, MakeMyDay
Action items from last meetings
- wsmwk to get in touch with Standard8 re: beta.
- done - bkerensa and sylvestre are on it
- rkent to work with Standard8 (and Fallen) on issues of 1.management of tracking flags and 2. pushing into aurora and beta for TB 38. (meeting generally agreed that mkmelin and rkent would be appropriate to manage pushing patches forward into aurora and beta).
Friends of the tree
Current status and discussions
Critical bugs. Please leave these here until they're confirmed fixed.
- Auto-complete improvements - some of those could go into esr31
- Current beta blocked due to Windows XP failures. rkent has try server configuration that can test a beta build, and will try Standard8's suggestions.
- Thunderbird 38 moves to Earlybird ~ February 24, 2015
- GSOC https://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode15:Brainstorming#Thunderbird
- Deadline to add project ideas is February 20th, but don't wait for the deadline :)
We need people to commit to being mentors.
Lightning to Thunderbird Integration
- As underpass has pointed out repeatedly (thanks for your patience!) , we need to rewrite / heavily modify the lightning articles on support.mozilla.org. let me know irc: rolandtanglao on #tb-support-crew or rtanglao AT mozilla.com OR simply start editing the articles
- So I started a new job recently, but because of that plus school, my time for TB stuff is very, very low. I will continue doing ui-reviews and reviews, but implementing anything has pretty much come to an end until summer break.
- release management https://etherpad.mozilla.org/XxBwrpMHKz
- disable HWA for 38? it has been suggested by someone in support to disable because "3d acceleration ... does little or nothing for Thunderbird but messes menus, font and causes crashes (the kind with no crash reporter reports)." bug 1131879
- Hot bugs
- Unfortunately a long review queue that I will be looking at for the next few days.
- I now have access to Thunderbird ADI data. Our ADI reached a new peak last month (in spite of SlashDot assuming "Thunderbird usage is dropping") and Japan has now surpassed US as #2 country (after Germany).
- Hopefully going to work down my review queue by this weekend
- Main jsmime perf regression fixes are r? rkent
- I have a non-promisified version of OAuth2, but still no UI hookup
- Mozharness-based mozmill tests: I've updated the runner, need to make updates to three or four repositories to make it work
- Trying to get this in progress for Thunderbird 38, so we don't need to maintain the old mozmill buildbot stuff for ESR
- I've been doing some work with the emailjs team to add functionality to their SMTP libraries (specifically with regards to SASL) that we could share between TB/Whiteout.io/Gaia email teams.
- Add-on signing is coming to Firefox. Is this something we could/would ship in a 38.x release or not before next year in 45? http://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/02/10/extension-signing-safer-experience/
- "There are no plans to implement this on Thunderbird, since Thunderbird extension malware hasn't been a problem in the past. So it shouldn't make a difference if your extension is signed or not for it to work on Thunderbird. Whether we automatically sign AMO extensions for Thunderbird or we don't will probably depend on what's easier to implement for AMO." [jorgev https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.addons.user-experience/YKK4zwA48H0/5bgUuknZfJgJ ]
- addon-compat bugs http://tinyurl.com/m6mwaqw
I have an XP machine (32 bit), I could run (not build) and debug (with WinDbg) the beta, if that's of any help. I'd need to know where do download it ... and the mentioned suggestions to try. (Contact via e-mail to start off).
- the critical regressions fixed
- 3 prominent complaints still not done: the "tab too quickly doesn't complete", "show as red even if found", "insert link missing paste url in context menu"
- ordering: now landed on esr, some complaints still, need to investigate
I'd like to know what happened to the "Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla", ie. the letter that was meant to be sent to the Mozilla management, re. funding, donations, staffing, etc. There was a lively discussion on the tb-planning mailing list in early January 2015.
- won't happen before 38 branching
- As underpass has pointed out, we need to rewrite all the Lightning articles, they are out of date whether or not we finish the integration for TB 38. email me or irc roland or just edit the articles (see above under "Lightning to Thunderbird integration". Tonnes do you have time to write some of these Lightning articles in English?
- Note - meeting notes must be copied from etherpad to wiki before 5AM CET next day so that they will go public in the meeting notes blog.
(Extra) Meeting next Tuesday, Feb 17.