« previous week | index | next week »
- 1 Friends of the Tree
- 2 Development Updates
- 3 Foundation Updates
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 Other Business
Friends of the Tree
Five people, Stuart, Tony, Clint, Tim, and Aakash all wrote in to nominate Joel Maher as a Friend of the Tree for his great work over the last 2-3 weeks
- Handled and drove Beta 3 maemo AND winmo a3 release testing
- Created a test harness to run mochitests on winmo
- Created first test harness to run reftest, crashtest, xpcshell on winmo
- Driving the log compare effort to get known failures factored out of tinderbox output for maemo tunit reports so that we can have a system that we can use going forward to maintain detailed information about our testing on Fennec and even Firefox going forward.
- verified 140+ Fennec bugs last week alone
- leading charge to debug known failures for maemo fennec on tunit
- Mentoring QAE folks on how to test Fennec, aiding with Fennec testday
And I (Asa) would like to nominate David Tran for all his help this summer in improving the experience of streaming content to Air Mozilla.
Firefox Front End Work
- review our list of active projects and this quarter's goals
- last week's team progress reports are available on Planet Firefox, which will get prettier in time
- next milestone: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1
- no more interns, boo-hoo
Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x
- Firefox 3.0.14 / Firefox 3.5.3
- QA is wrapping up cycle
- hoping to go to beta tomorrow
- on track for release next week
- Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4
- please work on your blockers
- code freeze set for September 22 at 11:59pm
- targeting mid-late October release
Bearing down on 3.0b4:
- Slushy Code Freeze: Monday 7th Sept 23:59 PDT.
- Full String Freeze: Wed 9th Sept 23:59 PDT.
- Code Freeze: Friday 11th Sept 23:59 PDT.
- l10n Complete: Monday 14th Sept 23:59 PDT.
- Release builds start: Tues 15th Sept.
- VeriSign EV cert for addons.mozilla.org (08/25/2009) bug 503040
- Added Layer42 as a transit provider in San Jose.
- Added multi-state flags
- status1.9.2 bug 512539
- blocking1.9.3 bug 510664
- The Amsterdam Reboot
- Turned down sites last week. Did we break anything yet?
- Derek & Arzhel in transit Tuesday, onsite Wednesday
- Fx3.5.3/3.0.14 ETA to beta, 9/1
- there will be a refreshed major update (MU) offered between these
- some improvements on the nightly update situation:
- Armen has landed code to prioritize en-US update generation ahead of l10n updates.
- we've switched l10n nightly builds to be triggered immediately after the en-US nightly rather than at a set time (7am). This means we'll get l10n nightlies earlier for each platform, and the update generation machine won't be swamped with a huge batch of updates each morning at 7am PDT.
- Fx3.5.3/3.0.14 ETA to beta, 9/1
- Winmo Alpha 3 testing in progress, 2 blocker bugs remain: bug 511535, bug 513520
- Iterating the list and contacts on the Firefox 3.6 Testplan
- Investigating crash reports
- Automating of manual litmus tests progress: Smoketests 88%, BFTs 20%
Web Dev Testing
- Shipped AMO 5.0.9
- It was a beast, at 116 bugs
- This release included the run of over 100 Litmus testcases
- Helped in the relaunch of Mozilla.org
- Finished testing SFx 3.0.4 changes, and wrote News & Events and Campus Reps testcases
- Small testing of AMO in China (for a CDN)
Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community
- Testday on Fx3.5 Session Store Testing using QA Companion! is this Friday, Sept 4th
- Next German Open Source Community Meetup is on September 25. See new blog post.
- Helped es-MX contributor. See bug 512553.
- Accessibility: Reviewed of provided feedback on these bugs. Provided ports and updates to patches for these: bug 499816 and bug 504053. Evaluated both the Yahoo! RichText editor and the CKEditor WYSIWYG editors for web applications to advise on their accessibility.
- Filed a bug on the MAKE rules of security component bug 512341 to allow instrumenting the code base. Provided the solution as well!
- Mac OS Firefox instrumentation is a success.
- Investigating the mochitest-browser-chrome test harness hang issue. Seems to be caused by memory leak while switching between private browsing and regular browsing in the harness testing.
- Started a new usage based code coverage project
- Mac OS X86 coverage Report
- Have a full run of Reftests over HTTP for Tegra, will put failures into bugs this week.
- Beginning work with Electrolysis team to work on test harnesses for electrolysis. Our first priority will be testing Out of Process Plugins.
- Working with Dmandelin to use his python harness for JS Shell testing
- Released the first release of QAC For Mobile
- Pushed Mozmill 1.2.1
- Nearing completion for the log comparison tool to help get the Fennec Test Tree Green
- More details here.
- No updates
- Nokia N900 launched with Mozilla-based browser
- Open source's impact on MSFT in CNET
- Why People Don’t Upgrade Their Browser post in Beta News
- Snowl featured in Linux Magazine
- Lifehacker's Five Features We Want to See in Firefox
Mozilla Service Week
- Overall update:
- Pledge hours are over 6,000!
- Focus for the coming weeks is on awareness and growing organic events.
- Created video to help promote
- Featured on Case Foundation home page!
- Wondering how you can be a part of Mozilla Service Week?
- Join a local sprint
- Stay tuned for "challenges":
- We're still going global!
- SQ, PL & KO going live this week
- Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre en Chile October 7 - 9, 2009, Santiago, Chile - Sponsoring event and bringing together the Mozilla Hispanic Community. + 2 day MozCamp Prior.
- WordCamp Philippines September 19, 2009 in Makati City, Philippines - We are sponsoring this event. Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.
- Philippine Blog Awards October 9, 2009 in Luzon, Philippines - We are sponsoring this event. Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.
- Currently working on a solution to help our users understand what Plug-ins are and how to update them.
- Three phase project:
- 3.5.3 What's New Page (embedded Flash plug-in detector)(Bug 512483-FIXED)
- Plug-In Updater Page for end of Sept (detects all users plug-ins and shows users how to update vulnerable ones) Website/Sprints/PluginProblem#Plug-In_Problem (bug 391433, bug 512787)
- In product plug-in updater (similar to Add-Ons updater) for 3.6
- Three phase project:
- One-day sprint to write crash articles for the knowledge base on Thursday September 3
- Goal is to document the most common crash signatures in Firefox so that they all have a Knowledge Base article explaining the cause of the crash and the way to fix it (and any other info that is relevant).
- See blog post and list of crash signatures (still being worked on) for more info
- We're currently implementing a solution that will allow us to easily do optimization testing on Mozilla web sites (e.g., mozilla.com, addons.mozilla.org, support.mozilla.com, etc.). We'll soon be talking more about goals/objectives and planning (and eventually, findings/impact).
- Firefox 3.6 documentation is progressing. Don't forget to tag relevant bugs with the
dev-doc-neededkeyword so we can find them while looking for the next thing to write about!
- Snowl 0.3pre3 has been released. It's the last preview release before 0.3. It includes some new features and some bug fixes. More info is available in the blog post.
- Weave 0.6! OMG Weave 0.6! It is released. It has major performance improvements, new better UI on the about:weave page, and better Fennec support.
- Lots of new stuff in 5.0.9
- Collections Phase II
- Add-on recommendations
- Collection based statistics
- Rating for collections
- Public Stats Dashboard
- Contributions on search results, home page, and category pages
- Post-install "Meet the Developer" pages now available via the Developer Tools
- Collections Phase II
- Next release (5.1!) is 9/24, will be focused on the Developer Hub
- Join us in Miami on 9/15 or Chicago on 9/29 for our Add-ons meetups
- Built web pages and applications for other groups.
- AMO 5.0.9 launched last Thursday. Read about it.
- Making progress on the plugins front. Adding warning to whatsnew page on mozilla.com (see screenshot) and creating a plugin campaign.
- SUMO 1.3 goes out Thursday (foundations for Fennec support)
- Verbatim Alpha launched
- Jeremy Hiatt intern finished with a presentation to platform on l20n. Blog posts here.
- Lots of work ahead on Mobile l10n for the client application and web content
- Mark posted extensively on Drumbeat, an initiative to engage huge numbers of people as promoters and stewards of the open web.
- This is likely major MoFo priority for 2010. Feedback and involvement highly encouraged.
- A wiki and google group have also been put up to support Drumbeat conversations.
- Thank you to everyone who helped with the relaunch of www.mozilla.org
- The second Mozilla Service Week action template is up: Digital Marketing.
- Please have a look at the first template Internet health and help us by testing it before service week.
Intern Show & Tell
Eric Hergenrader (metrics) and Anthony Hughes (QA) will be doing their presentation on Thursday, at 2pm PST in the common area.