Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-05-27 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: conference# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.6 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.8 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.9 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.18 GFX (milan)
- 3.19 Identity (jedp)
- 3.20 JS (naveed)
- 3.21 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.22 Media (mreavy)
- 3.23 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.24 Performance (vladan)
- 3.25 Seceng (grobinson)
- 3.26 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.27 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- 30.0b8 goes to build today
- Last mobile beta next Monday, last desktop beta on thurs (RC next week)
|Next Merge: September 21, 2015||Next Release: September 22, 2015|
|Central: 43||Aurora: 42||Beta: 41||Release: 40|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 8.61 (Previous Week: 7.61).
- \m/ to Nicolas Silva (nical) for fixing bug 924622 after an insanely tedious, tear-filled process.
- #1: bug 1015200 - Frequent B2G emulator reftest timeouts.
- Currently blocked on missing stacks (bug 1015178.
- #2: bug 1005274 - Intermittent browser_dbg_addon-console.js | Test timed out followed by 30+ more failures.
- Currently unowned.
- #3: bug 1010423 - Intermittent browser_wa_properties-view-edit.js | Test timed out.
- Currently unowned.
- bug 950653 - Intermittent PROCESS-CRASH | b2ginstance.py | application crashed [@ JSAutoCompartment::JSAutoCompartment].
- Big spike starting yesterday. Bisection underway.
- 14 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Risk factor moving in the right direction (down). \o/
- Images larger than 16 KiB are now listed individually in about:memory.
- Jonathan Watt has reduced the memory usage of SVG icons by 70%, though they're still quite a bit slower and larger than PNG icons.
- Overall numbers look decent for desktop, awesome for Android - Nightly has a few regressions and still some missing ADI.
- ADI on Nightly are normalizing after backout of bug 1006615, work on new infrastructure continues, will make sure to only re-land when the whole stack works.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
<Read Only> A sampling of current-ish things:
- IPC a11y work is progressing (Trevor's initial patch is r+'ed)
- We have a fun OMTC (WM_GETOBJECT) fallout issue to resolve. bug 1014673
- FFOS/GAIA a11y work is full speed. New collab is happening with Ux and components people.
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- Debug Button on Slow Script Dialog!!! bug 717749
37 bugs fixed.
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- bug 913249 - Implement OMTC Windows Basic
- bug 978913 - Dragging e10s window between HiDPI and non-HiDPI displays causes text to be scaled incorrectly
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Iteration 32.3 started today, details in Madhava's firefox-dev post. Highlights include:
- More work on the instant translation feature trial
- Investments in Sync migration and bug fixes/polish
- Form auto-fill breakdown
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
Work In Progress
- Firefox Hub (817716, 998009, 1004850,1010986,942877,987869, 701725)
- Sync (775104,985504,891600,966105, 899643, 997288, 1003877, 1014150)
- Intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners (1006947, 1013024, 1013684, 1014242, 1014283, 1014988)
- Other (1013326, 1011059, 1012720, 1013478, 1014136, 1014233, 1014244)
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- Add a "Remove" context menu item to top sites thumbnails on about:home (Bug 913457)
- No tooltip when long-pressing action bar's icons (Bug 943908)
- Make Fennec "Synced Tabs" tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts (Bug 958889)
- Reading list icon persists when aborting page load and going back to about:home (Bug 972723)
- Number-only search queries don't work (Bug 993705)
- Support URI autocomplete on Swype (and other composition focused) keyboards (Bug 994472)
- "Switch to tab" does not work for Reading List entries (Bug 997049)
- Clicking Download icon is required in nightly, no error feedback (Bug 1001129)
- Can't attach a downloaded .doc file to bugzilla (Bug 1001851)
- WebApp update prompt looks scary - update icon (Bug 1007770)
- Default home panel indicator is broken in settings in Fx30 (Bug 1010268)
- System locale changes not correctly reflected in running Fennec activities (Bug 1011008)
- Duck Duck Go content gets shifted down on every resize (keyboard dismissal) (Bug 1014034)
- Duck Duck Go, artifacts remain on screen after resize (Bug 1014054)
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- WebBluetooth API refinement is in progress (bug 1005848)
- 1.4 QC blocker
- Bluetooth test cases on ICS emulator will be enabled in a few days. Patches are all ready to go.
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- bug 904177 - Integrate MediaCodec into gecko for media playback
- mp3 playback works. Working on mp4 now.
- bug 904177 - Integrate MediaCodec into gecko for media playback
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
- No update.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 989945 - [B2G][WebRTC] long video lag when using H.264 codec.
- bug 983489 - 983489: Crash on nsIAppStartup.quit()
- bug 1009980 - can't take snapshot with canvas 2D with skiaGL enabled
- bug 987529 - Implement Vsync dispatch pipeline
- bug 814524 - Make WebGLContext::TexImage2D avoid readback for video elements
- bug 973777 - Breaking down the information of GrallocReporter
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 1001897 - crash in wifi_connect_on_socket_path
- bug 1008557 - [Flame] Unable to send or receive SMS
- bug 1010252 - Wifi known network is forgotten while auto-connection failed
- bug 1014485 - [Flame][NFC]: NfcConnector::Create() still keep calling socket() to consume performance even device has no nfcd.*
- bug 790056 - Enable WPA-EAP
- bug 824717 - WebSMS: When sending a SMS fails, it would be handy to have the message in the error event object.
- bug 843452 - B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection.
- bug 922584 - B2G RIL: provide WebAPI to setup network connections and expose connection state
- bug 939046 - B2G RIL: Data call and RILNetworkInterface enhancement
- bug 975778 - [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting
- bug 981519 - [CDMA] Number and name presentation.
- bug 993836 - [NFC] Emulator support for reading NDEF data from type 2 tag.
- bug 999867 - [Sora]MMS receiving is not possible
- bug 1001315 - [NFC] Testcase for reading url from type 2 tag.
- bug 1002314 - WebAPI: WifiManager.getCapabilities()
- bug 1003711 - [RTSP] Build Darwin Streaming Server on B2G emulator
- bug 1003775 - B2G NFC: removePeerTarget in Nfc.js doesn't work for Browser app.
- bug 1010292 - crash in strstr | update_ctrl_interface
- bug 1010733 - Capability for partner's app to implement WISPr function
- bug 1011414 - [RTSP] Request for a new repository: darwin-android
- bug 1013745 - Refine telephony dialling flow and pending outgoing call mechanism
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Windows latest landing seems to have stuck.
- The original plan was to not have this on 32 Aurora, but we will reevaluate this decision in the next two weeks. We may be able to get to all the issues that may be stopping it from riding the 32 train.
- Linux - one more review, should land this week.
- This has slowed down given the 1.4 games performance work.
- Low res tiling landed, got backed out (OOP tests), should have another solution this week.
- Overscroll effect will get the pref this week so that it can be tested.
- 1.4 WebGL games performance
- Looking at the first bottleneck. Have a few approaches that should all remove it, but need to make sure they're shippable code.
- Landed a 17-part patchset to clean up and integrate OMX HW H.264 codecs into WebRTC
- Firmware issues on the JB-based flame kernels will require updates to KK+new DSP firmware to have usable delay
- Vendor driver problems with Audio on Flame are causing problems for GetUserMedia/WebRTC - bug 1008017
- MSE and EME work under way
- OpenH264 nearing initial source release; integration with GMP codec plugin work landed but more followups are being done
- Who builds and how and API details for the GMP interface are being resolved. Cisco has to do distribution.
No update this week.
No update this week
- bug 1004351 We're pinning Twitter in Nightly as of Saturday's build!
- Landed new CSP (in C++) parser behind a pref (security.csp.newbackend.enable)
- Has test coverage on TBPL
- Helping B2G folks transition their apps so we can
- use CSP 1.0 on B2G, then
- get rid of the old parser and X-CSP support entirely
- No verbal update this week.
- Ongoing projects:
- PBackground-ification (enabling more stuff on workers)
- W3C manifest support
- Service Workers
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:54 laura: dholbert: you are awesome, thank you 10:55 dholbert: laura, np! 10:55 dholbert: interesting, https://air.mozilla.org/engineering-meeting-20140527-3/ has last week's video embedded, it seems 10:58 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from stability today 10:58 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks 11:03 KaiRo: heh, there's an old video that's already ready to watch on airmo instead of a live stream 11:04 davidb: robot ryan 11:04 lmandel: davidb: I think C3PO's voice processor would be an upgrade for Ryan. 11:04 robcee: he's just a protocol droid. 11:05 davidb: useful nonetheless 11:08 jesup: blassey: serious voiping... try turning off AEC when on headset - not guaranteed, but I've seen that many times before with vidyo (less in the last year though) 11:09 jib: Here's the right link https://air.mozilla.org/engineering-meeting-20140527/ 11:09 blassey: jesup: thanks 11:09 blassey: vidyo really insists on turning those back on unfortunitely 11:09 overholt: cpeterson, I should have marked the WebAPI section as read-only 11:10 jesup: yeah; I think they changed that. Also, OS media processing "enhancements" (like on win7/etc) can mess up an AEC 11:10 jesup: Takes digging to turn off