- 1 CA Program Bugzilla Dashboards
- 2 Bug Triage in Mozilla's CA Certificate Program
- 3 Compliance Problems and Incidents
- 4 Root Inclusion/Change requests and EV Treatment Enablement Requests
- 5 CA Audit Statement Bugs
- 6 CA Program Process or Policy Related Bugs
- 7 Certificate Revocation Related Bugs
- 8 Common CA Database (CCADB)
CA Program Bugzilla Dashboards
- CA Inclusion/Update Requests: https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Dashboard
- CA Compliance Bugs: https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Incident_Dashboard
- Common CA Database (CCADB) Bugs: https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/CCADB_Dashboard
Bug Triage in Mozilla's CA Certificate Program
Mozilla’s CA Certificate Program governs inclusion of root certificates in Network Security Services (NSS), a set of open source libraries designed to support cross-platform development of security-enabled client and server applications. The NSS root certificate store is not only used in Mozilla products such as the Firefox browser, but is also used by other companies in a variety of products.
The Bugzilla products/components related to the CA Certificate Program are:
- NSS :: CA Certificate Compliance - Problems found in certificates issued by Certificate Authorities included in the default certificate store.
- Concerns that are raised about certificates being issued by CAs, and the resulting action items for the CAs.
- NSS :: CA Certificate Root Program - For Certificate Authorities to file requests asking for their certificates to be included in the default certificate store.
- Root inclusion/change requests. When approved, the actual code changes are requested via a new Bugzilla Bug in NSS :: CA Certificates Code.
- EV treatment enablement requests. When approved, the actual code changes are requested via a new Bugzilla Bug for PSM.
- CA Audit statements, when they are not on the auditor's website (ETSI audits) or do not have a WebTrust Seal (WebTrust audits).
- CA Program related concerns or action items.
- Requests to add certs to OneCRL.
- NSS :: CA Certificates Code - For actual code changes to NSS. Kathleen should be the only person filing these bugs on behalf of the CA Program.
- NSS :: Common CA Database - For requesting updates to the Common CA Database (CCADB).
The CA Certificate Program deviates from Mozilla's standardized Bugzilla Bug Triage process by not using bug priorities (P1, P2, P3, or P5), because CA Certificate Root Program bugs do not directly include code changes to Mozilla's release trains or iterations.
Compliance Problems and Incidents
To report a concern about certificates being issued by a CA in Mozilla's Program, or their audit statements:
If the bug is in regards to CA certificate issuance, then the bug summary should begin with the CA name, so sorting the bugs by Summary will sort the bugs by CA.
Open CA Compliance bugs: https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Incident_Dashboard
If the concern is in regards to audit statements not containing expected information, then the bug summary should begin with auditor's name, so sorting the bugs by Summary will sort the bugs by auditor name.
Open Auditor Compliance bugs: https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Auditor_Compliance
The whiteboard tags for NSS :: CA Certificate Compliance are:
- [ca-compliance] -- For concerns about a CA's certificates failing to comply with Mozilla's CA Certificate Policy and/or the CA/Browser Forum's Baseline Requirements, and it is not considered to be an imminent security concern.
- [auditor-compliance] -- For concerns about an auditor failing to properly detect and report on CA compliance issues that occurred during one or more periods when the CA was audited.
- [delayed-revocation-ca] or [delayed-revocation-leaf] -- appended after [ca-compliance] whenever a CA fails to abide by the Baseline Requirements' requirement to revoke certificates in a timely fashion.
- [audit-delay] -- appended after [ca-compliance] when a CA is unable to provide audit statements within one year and 3 months of the previous audit period end date.
- [covid-19] -- appended after [ca-compliance], [audit-delay], or [delayed-revocation-ca] when delays are due to mandated restrictions regarding COVID-19.
Root Inclusion/Change requests and EV Treatment Enablement Requests
A representative of a CA may begin the process of root inclusion, change, or ev-enablement by filing a Bugzilla Bug as described here:
Root Inclusion Requests are prioritized as described here:
The whiteboard tags for NSS :: CA Certificate Root Program are:
- [ca-initial] -- not enough information to begin the Information Verification phase, or not yet assigned to someone to do the Information Verification
- [ca-verifying] -- in Information Verification phase. This is a high-level review to ensure that all of the required data has been provided and the appropriate tests run.
- [ca-cps-review] -- in Detailed Review phase, in which all of the relevant CP/CPS and audit documents will be thoroughly reviewed. During this phase, the CA may be required to update their CP/CPS and audit documents to become fully aligned with Mozilla's Root Store Policy.
- [ca-ready-for-discussion yyyy-mm-dd] -- Information Verification and Detailed Review phases complete. Ready for public discussion. In parentheses add date when Detailed Review phase was completed.
- [ca-in-discussion] -- in discussion in the MDSP mailing list.
- [ca-discussion-hold] -- discussion on hold, pending CA actions.
- [ca-hold] -- CA's request is on hold, typically because the CA is a super-CA, so all of their subCAs have to achieve inclusion first.
- [ca-pending-approval] -- final notice of intent to approve the CA's request
- [ca-approved] -- request is approved, pending code changes in NSS, also including certs which are in NSS and pending code changes in PSM
- [ca-denied] -- request was denied. Under normal circumstances the CA may submit a new root inclusion request for a new root certificate that fully complies with Mozilla's Root Store policy.
CA Audit Statement Bugs
- [ca-audits] -- One bug may be created per CA to store audit statements or CP/CPS documents.
- Link to create ca-audit bug
- Make sure the bug has the correct product/component for the CA Certificate Program, which is NSS :: CA Certificate Root Program
- Add [ca-audits] to the Whiteboard
- Add Comment: "This bug may continue to be used for uploading audit statements and documents for this CA."
- Close bug as RESOLVED | WORKSFORME
CA Program Process or Policy Related Bugs
- [ca-program] -- bugs related to CA Program process, wiki pages, or policy. Note that most CA Program Policy issues are tracked on Github.
Certificate Revocation Related Bugs
- [ca-onecrl] -- bugs related to updating entries in OneCRL. Under normal circumstances a Bugzilla Bug is not needed for this. Rather, the CA should report the revocation via the Common CA Database.
- OneCRL Entries Generated -- bugs for verifying OneCRL entries before they are pushed to production. These bugs are automatically generated from CCADB for standard revocations of intermediate certificates that are reported by CAs. Otherwise these bugs are generated by manually running the tools for specially requested additions to OneCRL.
Common CA Database (CCADB)
- [ccadb-api] -- for requesting API access to the CCADB as per https://github.com/mozilla/CCADB-Tools/tree/master/API_AddUpdateIntermediateCert
- [ccadb-bug] -- for issues or problems using the CCADB.
- [ccadb-enhancement] -- for requesting minor updates to the CCADB, such as adding sections or fields to pages for root store members.
- [ccadb-roadmap] -- for tracking large updates to the CCADB, which are prioritized by the CCADB Council in the CCADB Roadmap.
The Priority field is used for Common CA Database bugs as follows:
- P1 - In Progress and being actively worked on
- P2 - Needs to be started soon
- P3 - Ongoing project that is being done as time permits
- P4 - To be scheduled for work later