All Hands/2015 Orlando/volunteers
What is it? -- Multiple work weeks, happening in the same city, at the same time + some opportunity to get together as one big group as well as with other teams as it makes sense. Then, on the last day, we have a fun social event for all, Mozilla-style!
Dates, Location and Weather
Monday, December 7 - Friday, December 11, 2015 (travel days are Monday & Saturday*) in Orlando, Florida, USA at The Swan & Dolphin Resort.
Averages temperatures range from lows of 54 Fahrenheit (12 Celsius) to 74 Fahrenheit (23 Celsius). Layers recommended for evenings.
This is an invite only event. Invites and registration was emailed in September.
Participation will be coordinated by Francisco Picolini and George Roter. Please reach out to the team with any specific questions.
~subject to change~
- Monday: Arrivals, *Welcome Reception
- Tuesday: Work Week Meetings, Dinner on own with park pass and gift card for dinner
- Wednesday: Work Week meetings, *Hosted dinner
- Thursday: Work Week Meetings, Dinner on own with park pass and gift card for dinner
- Friday: Work Week Meetings, *Hosted dinner
- Saturday: Breakfast, departures
Booking Air Travel via Egencia
Please refer to the email sent by Francisco for specifics on how to set up an account and book airfare.
You should arrive into Orlando International Airport (MCO).
Air Travel Guidelines
Our standard travel guidelines apply (pre-populated in Egencia) when booking with a few additional budget constraints. Anything booked outside of them will require approval.
Most people will arrive on Monday, December 7th and leave on Saturday, December 12th. Here are some exceptions:
- Anyone who must endure more than an eight-hour time change traveling to Orlando may arrive on Sunday (this is time zone change, not travel time). If this is you, please let firstname.lastname@example.org know so she can approve in Egencia.
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on weekends, you may travel on Friday, December 4th and Monday, December 14th, if you’d prefer (not required).
- If you plan to spend some extra time in Orlando, choosing to arrive before Monday, December 7th or depart after Saturday, December 12th, you are responsible for any additional costs for this +/- $100 USD. Please send copies of the standard itinerary and the custom itinerary to Brianna Mark for approval. Accounting does not have a reimbursement system, so flights booked must be within policy.
- If you are attending the Monday Director's event (by invite).
Volunteer contributors will be sharing guestrooms with another volunteer. You are able to identify your preferred roommate in registration.
Mozilla will cover the standard hotel rate of $159, resort fee and taxes for arrival on Monday, December 7th - departure on Saturday, December 12th.
If you must endure an EIGHT HOUR TIME CHANGE (not travel time), you may arrive on December 6th.
If you are from a country that requires a business visa to enter the US, please plan for it early as government processing time constantly change.
Please visit the following website to learn more about the process and timing for your country: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html#overview
VWP: You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:
- Intend to enter the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit
- Have a valid passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country
- Have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization
- Arrive via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier (all commercial airlines meet this requirement)
- Have a return or onward ticket
- Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas
- Are a citizen or national of one of the Visa Waiver Program countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Malta, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan or United Kingdom.
Food & Drink
All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will be provided and paid for centrally. Any other food or drink expenses (including room service and in-room minibar charges) will be the responsibility of the attendee.
- Allergies: We will ensure that all food/environmental allergies are taken into consideration and will always have gluten-free and vegan options (and gfv options). If you have severe allergies that we need to know about; you can indicate in registration.
- For dining in the theme parks, please refer here for dietary accommodations.
Out of Pocket Expenses
The intention of our work weeks are to centrally organize a structure within which teams can come together to work on deliverables and plans, to socialize, to meet and share with other teams, and generally come together as one Mozilla family, two times each year. The central organization includes meals (three/day + snacks), transportation, accommodations, and some number of social events.
Because of that, we’d expect a very limited number, if any, of work week-related expenses for food or social events (this includes team events, room service, mini-bar charges, and food/drink costs above the vouched amounts). Any social events that are not part of our central plan will generally be self-organized and funded by participants. This is a modified policy from Portland. For specifics on meals, please go to the Food & Drink section (above). If you have questions about any of this, please reach out to email@example.com
Volunteer Reimbursement via Reps
Volunteers attending this event may submit for visa and U.S. travel/health insurance- related costs (and other incidentals) via Mozilla Reps:
Mozilla Reps attending this event may submit for reimbursement through the standard process. Mozillians who are not Mozilla Reps should contact a local Rep and the Rep will help them get reimbursed. The process is as follows:
Step 1: contact a Rep in your country* Step 2: once the Rep has accepted to process your reimbursement, give them an estimate of what your costs will be. If you need the funds beforehand, be sure to say that Step 3: after the event, send him/her all your scanned receipts and bank details/paypal account Step 4: inform the Rep once you have successfully received the funds