This position is already filled - Dec 20 2009
Mozilla Drumbeat - Online Community Lead
Location: Toronto, Mountain View or Paris, remote work possible for exceptional candidate
Mozilla Drumbeat’s web strategist will create and manage an online platform that helps people around the world understand and participate in creating a better internet.
Based in the Mozilla Foundation, this position is part content strategist, part storyteller and part open collaboration enabler -- crafting and executing a web strategy that helps people around the world to work on projects that make the web better and more open.
The position requires a diverse mix of skills: content strategy, information architecture, strong writing ability and an art director’s eye for design and brand. An ability to inspire online participation and design web work spaces that work is essential, as is the ability to inspire and support a global global community of volunteers.
Mozilla is a global community of people creating a better, more open Internet.
Mozilla produces well known open source software like Firefox and Thunderbird. It is also launching a new global initiative called Drumbeat to support people using technology to bring understanding, participation and individual empowerment to online life.
Mozilla is like no other work environment -- global, collaborative, fluid. It's a place to challenge yourself, and have fun in the process.
- Lead the creation and evolution of the Drumbeat web site
- Develop and execute content strategy, architecture and designs for the Drumbeat web site
- Write site copy and develop stories stories that explain Drumbeat to a broad audience
- Work with community and contractors improve the site on an ongoing iterative basis
- Establish an transparent and participatory way of working from the outset
- Develop and spread Drumbeat’s story and online brand’’’
- Keep the Drumbeat site’s content fresh, engaging and on mission
- Help Drumbeat projects succeed at building up their projects online
- Tell the Drumbeat story through the site’s blog and a broad mix of social media
- Lead Drumbeat’s online community community building strategy
- Grow the Drumbeat online community, partly by reaching out to other social media
- Maximize partner and volunteer participation on the site
- Help evangelize Drumbeat and Mozilla’s mission, both online and at events
- Lives and breathes the open internet. It's their passion.
- Has a track record of success in helping to lead successful online campaigns and properties.
- Is able to work in the open and facilitate open collaboration.
- Knows how to design web sites that look and work great and generate participation.
- Can move quickly and iterate -- making and design choices that allow us to evolve.
- Can help make complex messages simple and attention grabbing.
- Understands major open internet issues and trends.
- Has strong networks in the open internet field.
Team and Location
The Drumbeat web strategist will work closely with the Mozilla Foundation executive director, Drumbeat director and others in the Drumbeat team.
Highly competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.