Extension Manager:Projects:Install Third Party Add-ons to the Profile
|Extension Manager:Projects:Install Third Party Add-ons to the Profile||Not started.||Mossop|
Third party applications can install add-ons into Firefox using the registry or certain special filesystem locations. These extensions are loaded by Firefox and while the user can disable them they cannot be auto-updated and cannot be uninstalled (though see Extension_Manager:Projects:Uninstalling_Third_Party_Add-ons).
Third-party apps should be able to provide add-ons that Firefox installs into the user's profile where they would be fully managed by Firefox.
As this project hasn't yet started this is just a rough guide of who has expertise in the area
- Module owner: Mossop
- Available reviewers: Mossop, Unfocused, rs
- Must pass security review
- Decide on an API for letting apps tell Firefox an add-on is available
- Decide whether the app will be able to update the add-on
- Decide what to do after the user uninstalls the add-on, can the app make it become installed again in some way?
Related Bugs & Dependencies
- Add-ons provided by applications should be installed to the user's profile at the first available opportunity
- The user should be able to uninstall the add-on from their profile