Calendar:QA Chat:2007-11-08:Log

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[18:28] <Andreas> hi mschroeder
[18:31] <ulf> hi folks!
[18:31] <mschroeder> Hi ulf.
[18:31] <mschroeder> Let's start the QA chat.
[18:31] <Andreas> hi ulf
[18:31] <mschroeder> Our agenda:
[18:33] <mschroeder> good morning, ctalbert
[18:33] <ctalbert> afternoon, mschroeder 
[18:34] <ulf> hi, clint!
[18:34] <mschroeder> ctalbert posted about testdays etc. on the newsgroup yesterday. my post about QA work for 0.7 is almost finished.
[18:34] <ctalbert> hi ulf
[18:34] <mschroeder> please add comments in the newsgroup. :)
[18:37] <mschroeder> We have only one item on the agenda: post 0.7 activities.
[18:38] <mschroeder> I had no time to look at Litmus and our testcases.
[18:38] <ulf> mschroeder: surely will do (addign a comment), pls. be patient w. me - having the day off tomorrow
[18:40] <mschroeder> okay :)
[18:41] <ulf> mschroeder: you mentioned some documentation for
[18:41] <ulf> automated testing you wanted to create
[18:43] <ulf> any update on the automated testing front?
[18:43] <mschroeder> yes. so, I set up the testing framework myself and wrote my first tests. I'll transfer a structure for the tutorial + my first ideas to the wiki over the weekend.
[18:44] <ulf> great!
[18:44] <ulf> what's that framework you are talking about? what does it do?
[18:44] <mschroeder> enabling tests on the Mozilla1.8 tinderbox isn't possible.
[18:44] <ctalbert> awesome, mschroeder 
[18:44] <ctalbert> It's the XPCShell framework
[18:45] <mschroeder> maybe we can enable tests on the trunk.
[18:46] <mschroeder> So, what it does: :)
[18:47] <ulf> cool!
[18:48] <mschroeder> You can test anything available to the XPCOM layer, so it's JavaScript with some predefined methods you can use to check results.
[18:49] <mschroeder> We can test datetime objects, timezones, ics roundtripping/parsing, provider...
[18:50] <ulf> regarding those first tests. I guess these are demo tests. Do you consider it too early to think about areas where it would make most sense to start writing test scripts i.e. areas where we oftenly regress
[18:50] <ctalbert> mschroeder: Can we test Javascript XPCOM objects - like calIEvent?
[18:52] <mschroeder> ctalbert: I think so. see
[18:52] <ctalbert> yiiihah!
[18:52] <ctalbert> I thought so
[18:53] <ctalbert> If we can spin up this infrastructure support here soon, then that means that Daniel and I can write unit tests for the timezone stuff that we'll b landing in a week or two
[18:54] <ctalbert> I think we also should publicize that we'll have the first "test automation summit" meeting next week, to go over what documentation we have.
[18:54] <ctalbert> That way we can get the two guys that were interested in helping to pop back onto the radar.
[18:54] <mschroeder> good idea
[18:55] <ulf> ctalbert: off topic: did you say that the foreign tz support is almost finished
[18:55] <ctalbert> It is getting close.  Daniel expects to be finished with his piece next week.  I will endeavor to have the timezone database side of it finished at the same time
[18:56] <ulf> "test automation summit": that sounds really big and important
[18:56] <ulf> :-)
[18:56] <ctalbert> that was my intention :-)
[18:57] <ulf> you mean you'll blog about it 2 days in advance?
[18:57] <ctalbert> ROFL
[18:57] <ctalbert> maybe even *4*
[18:57] <ctalbert> *still laughing*
[18:57] <ulf> ok, will reread your post on m.d.a.calendar
[18:58] <ctalbert> ulf: you had mentioned that Tuesdays are not so good for you anymore for test days, would thursdays be a better choice?
[18:58] <ulf> yes, Thursdays are great for me
[18:59] <Andreas> +1
[18:59] <mschroeder> +5
[18:59] <ulf> I like your idea of coupling the test days w. the qa-chat; that brings us new members, possibly
[19:00] <ctalbert> cool
[19:00] <ctalbert> When we did it on a test day in preparation for 0.7, I thought it worked really well.
[19:01] <ulf> I think so too
[19:01] <ctalbert> While we are early in the cycle, I'd encourage us to go look at the QA Wanted bug list, and make sure that those have:
[19:02] <ctalbert> 1. The necessary steps/reseach that they were lacking
[19:02] <ctalbert> and 2. The necessary flags, because I suspect some of those are probably wanted-0.8 or even blocking-0.8
[19:03] <ulf> +1
[19:04] <mschroeder> next good idea :)
[19:07] <mschroeder> Should we have a look at qadiscussionneeded bugs?
[19:08] <ctalbert> sure
[19:09] <mschroeder>
[19:10] <mschroeder> First one: bug 352872
[19:10] <firebot> mschroeder: Bug nor, --, ---,, NEW, improve UI for moving to readonly calendars in the event dialog
[19:11] <mschroeder> When will the prototype dialog become the new standard dialog? :)
[19:11] <ctalbert> i nominate that we ask mvl what he wants to do with this bug.  Because I don't know.
[19:13] <mschroeder> We should do that. Maybe it is a topic for the next status meeting and/or the newsgroup.
[19:13] * ctalbert votes for the newsgroup, because mvl can't make the status meetings
[19:14] <mschroeder> agreed
[19:14] <mschroeder> but we should coordinate it with daniel
[19:16] <ctalbert> true
[19:17] <mschroeder> Next: bug 366139
[19:17] <firebot> mschroeder: Bug nor, --, ---,, NEW, Wrong end time set on multi-day events
[19:18] <mschroeder> ctalbert: mickey didn't respond to your commt
[19:18] <mschroeder> comment
[19:22] <ctalbert> hmmm
[19:22] <ctalbert> and he just left the chat room
[19:22] <ctalbert> in #calendar
[19:22] <ctalbert> I'll try to ask him tomorrow
[19:22] <mschroeder> ok
[19:22] <ctalbert> or you can if you see him, since he's in your tzone
[19:23] * mschroeder has his own timezone. ;)
[19:23] <ctalbert> he might leave early on Friday
[19:23] <mschroeder> Next: 385914
[19:23] <mschroeder> bug 385914
[19:23] <firebot> mschroeder: Bug min, --, ---,, NEW, ICS provider using file: protocol tries to read disabled calendars causing error messages
[19:24] <mschroeder> I'll ask him.
[19:24] <ctalbert> thx
[19:25] <ctalbert> I don't think Christian ever saw 385914
[19:25] <ctalbert> and I'm not sure the follow on bug was ever filed
[19:25] <mschroeder> It was't.
[19:27] <mschroeder> I'll try to file the follow-on bug myself.
[19:27] <ctalbert> Why can't we just morph this one into the enhancement bug as per comment 2? 
[19:27] <ctalbert> and cc christian
[19:27] <mschroeder> hm... I think, I aimed for a clean RFE by the reporter.
[19:28] <ctalbert> yeah that would be better
[19:28] <ctalbert> less confusing
[19:28] <mschroeder> It's on my todo list.
[19:28] <ctalbert> cool.
[19:29] <ctalbert> I need to run.  I have to take my dog outside, and then head in to the office.
[19:30] <mschroeder> We run out of time.
[19:30] <mschroeder> ctalbert: see you later
[19:30] <mschroeder> That's the end of the QA chat.