All Hands/2015 Orlando
What is it? -- Multiple team meetings, happening in the same city, at the same time + some opportunity to get together as one big group as well as with other teams as it makes sense. Then, on the last day, we have a fun social event for all, Mozilla-style!
- 1 Dates, Location and Weather
- 2 Registration
- 3 Schedule-at-a-Glance
- 4 Airport Ground Transportation in Orlando
- 5 Monday Night
- 6 Mozlando Plenary Sessions
- 7 Tuesday & Thursday Night
- 8 Wednesday Night
- 9 Friday Night
- 10 Families in Orlando
- 11 Meeting Space & Internet
- 12 Food & Drink
- 13 Out of Pocket Expenses
- 14 Volunteers in Orlando
- 15 FAQ
- 16 Booking Air Travel via Egencia
- 17 Hotel Information
- 18 Immigration
- 19 Extracurricular Activities
- 20 Presentation Templates
- 21 Session Notes
Dates, Location and Weather
Monday, December 7 - Friday, December 11, 2015 (travel days are Monday & Saturday*) in Orlando, Florida, USA at The Swan & Dolphin Resort.
*For those countries where rest time is required on weekends (vs. work travel), Mozilla will cover a return on the next available work day, if you choose. This needs to pre-approved and pre-arranged.
Averages temperatures range from lows of 54 Fahrenheit (12 Celsius) to 74 Fahrenheit (23 Celsius). Layers recommended for evenings.
This is an invite only event. Registration invite was emailed September 15.
Volunteers in Orlando: Please visit the volunteer wiki for everything volunteers.
Agenda - Week at a Glance here
The Mozlando Event Calendar
https://mozlando2015.sched.org has been filled up with meetings and meals and is now ready for your consumption and sync’ing.
Create an account
We don’t recommend using the same email & password as anything like bank accounts, etc. We care about your security!
If you already have a Sched account from Whistler, it still works, just log in with that.
Add items to your calendar
Just hit the circle on any agenda item to add it to your calendar (you do need to have an account & be logged in to do this)
You can also share a link to meetings to invite others. Go into the meeting and copy the short link. You can email that out to anyone and they can quickly add it to their calendar.
Subscribe to GCal Calendar Link
Click on the mobile phone on the right hand side of the screen. All the calendar options are available here. You have the option to choose ALL meetings or YOUR meetings. Unless you have 400 items on your calendar, just select your calendar. It will add anything on your calendar to your GCal (also an option for Outlook and iCal). It syncs once per day.
The "only syncs once per day" only applies to Google Calendar. With almost all other clients (like Apple Calendar, Outlook, or the calendar app on your phone) you can set the refresh interval, and Sched's instructions recommend 1 hour.
Visit https://mozlando2015.sched.org from any mobile device - bookmark or add to your homescreen for quick access. There is a bonus icon you get by doing this. It caches the last time you opened the page offline and refreshes anytime you are connected.
We have better (much needed) filtering functionality. You can filter by: Departments (ex: Firefox or Engagement) AND Functional Teams (ex: Dev Tools or Community Marketing)
- Search by Room, Speaker/Leader
- Audience - who should be there (ex: Team only or Invite)
- Homerooms (you can quickly see what is happening in homerooms, by team) - why do you care? If you have a cross team meeting in their room, its a quick way to search
- Views - Lots of view options. It defaults to the simple view, but there are quite a few options.
Airport Ground Transportation in Orlando
All guests who have flights arriving into Orlando on Sunday, December 6th, between the hours of 4:00 pm - 11:59 pm, and anytime on Monday, December 7th, will be transferred to the Swan & Dolphin Hotel. The ride between airport and hotel is about 20-30 minutes.
Arrivals to Orlando Int’l Airport (MCO)
Everyone will be greeted in Baggage Claim (regardless if you check a bag). At the bottom of the escalator in the baggage claim level, look for a greeter holding up a Mozlando sign. Please identify yourself to the greeter and they will direct you to the shuttles. Transfer time from the airport to the hotel is approximately 20 minutes.
For Domestic Arrivals
Upon arrival, proceed to the baggage claim area of your respective airline. There are two separate baggage claims – A or B. Please listen for the announcements from your airline flight attendants or while you are on the shuttle from the gates to the main terminal, for your baggage claim. Once you exit past Security, look to the left and right to see the large A or B to find your respective baggage claim.
For International Arrivals
Upon arrival, you will proceed thru Customs. Some International flights allow you to take your luggage directly from Customs to the main terminal and some require you to put it on the luggage carousel and re-collect it in the main baggage claim. Regardless if you collect your luggage at Customs or not, you have to take the shuttle to the main terminal. Once there, please proceed down the escalator to the Baggage Claim, Level 2. (Do not go directly to Level 1.)
Departures from Dolphin Hotel to Orlando Int’l Airport (MCO)
Everyone departing on Saturday, December 12th, will receive shuttle transportation to MCO. You will be met by transportation staff in the hotel lobbies and assisted onto the shuttles. More details about departures will be sent via email.
Plan to depart the hotel 2.5 hours prior to your flight time.
Plan to depart the hotel 2 hours prior to your flight time.
You will receive a personalized email, with your assigned hotel departure time. These times were assigned based on your flight. We do not recommend you miss your designated time. Our shuttles are expected to be very full.
If you are bringing family and are all arriving on Monday, December 7th and departing Saturday, December 12th, you may all use our company-arranged transportation provided you request it ahead of time (for your guests). You should have done this during registration.
Arriving early and/or leaving late (w/ or w/out family)?
If you arrive other than December 7th or depart other than December 12th, with or without guests, you will have to cover and arrange your own ground transportation, to and from MCO, including rental cars and parking.
Recommended Airport Shuttle: Mears Transportation http://www.mearstransportation.com/global/orlando/ Loading is on Level One at the airport, clearly marked, and the shuttle makes 1-3 stops at hotels in the same proximity. Enter Promo Code “WEB10”.
Additional help is here:
- Transportation Information (airport and parks) http://swananddolphin.com/aboutus/transportation.html
- Transportation FAQ: http://swananddolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html
- Transportation booking (via Swan & Dolphin): http://swandolphinconcierge.com/public/login.cfm
Exceptions are those attending the Director's meeting on Monday. Transportation will be arranged for you.
Welcome to Florida!
Monday, December 7th, 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Florida inspired appetizers and entertainment.
Dolphin Pool Deck and Beach (follow signs from the elevator to the pool)
Mozlando Plenary Sessions
Mozlando Opening Plenary Tuesday, December 8th, 9:00 am - 11:30 am, Pacific BC
Immediately following the Plenary, we will head outside to take an all company photo.
Mozlando Closing Plenary Friday, December 11th, 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm, Pacific BC
We will not be streaming the Plenary sessions on AirMozilla, but they will be recorded and a link to the recordings will be emailed to staff within 24 hours of each plenary.
Tuesday & Thursday Night
As with Whistler, Tuesday and Thursday evenings will be of your own to structure as you wish. Staff and volunteers (only) will be given a theme park pass valid for both evenings after meetings are done (valid in Epcot, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s Hollywood Studios) and a gift card for your dinners.
Your gift cards are valid at any Disney owned restaurant (inside and outside parks). This list is sorted by location, with information on walkability and phone numbers to make reservations. For information on dietary accommodations at any Disney restaurant, please go here.
Theme Park Passes
You were emailed your confirmation of tickets in early November and will get a final confirmation the last week of November. Note that park closing hours vary by day. Check here for hours on the day of your visit.
- If you choose to visit non-Disney parks (Universal, etc…) and/or not use the gift card provided for dinner, please be aware that these expenses will be at your personal expense.
Getting to the parks
Due to the elaborate holiday celebrations, a special ticket is required for Magic Kingdom. This special ticket can't be changed or refunded once selected. You were emailed your confirmation of tickets in early November and will get a final confirmation on December 1.
Getting to the parks
We will not have Mozilla specific transportation to the parks on Tuesday or Thursday.
A Friendship Launch offers access from the hotels' dock, running approximately every 15 minutes to and from Epcot® and Disney's Hollywood Studios™. A series of walkways will also lead you to the entrance of these Theme Parks.
Walt Disney World shuttle buses arrive at the main entrance of the hotels approximately every 20 minutes to transport guests to Magic Kingdom® Park, Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, Downtown Disney® area, and to all other Walt Disney World® Resort hotels and attractions.
My Disney Experience is an online portal that allows you to connect all of your plans to one location and you MagicBand. Just a few steps to get connect.
Set up a Disney account: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/registration/
- Connect your Magic Band to your account: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/bands-cards/
- Connect this week: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/trip/my-vacation/
- Link your park pass tickets
- Link your gift card
- Add FastPass+
- Make Dining Reservations
- Link your hotel reservation
We’ll all come together mid-week to enjoy a meal and some casual time with friends and family. We’ll also get a special peek into the magic of Walt Disney World. Our gathering will start at World ShowPlace, a venue within Epcot. We’ll enjoy an internationally themed dinner, a short Mozilla presentation, and a dessert reception with the IllumiNations fireworks show from our own Mozilla-viewing area.
6:40 pm - Meet outside Dolphin Fountain to walk to Epcot
7:00 pm - Doors open at World ShowPlace
8:15 pm - Presentation
8:45 pm - Dessert Reception Outside
9:30 pm - IllumiNations Fireworks Show
10:00 pm - Walk back to hotel
What you’ll need
- A wristband (VERY IMPORTANT). Stop by the Mozilla Information Desk in the Convention Lobby on Wednesday between 7 am and 7 pm to get a wristband for you and your registered guests*. This wrist band is your ticket into Epcot & the venue.
- Your Mozlando name badge (and guest badges for your guests).
What to wear
Casual attire and walking friendly shoes (save fancy for Friday).
How to Get there
Everyone will be walking from the hotel, along Disney’s Boardwalk to the Epcot International Gateway (less than 0.5 mile). There will be helpers along the way to make sure you get there. Once you arrive at Epcot, you’ll be escorted by Epcot staff (identifiable by their colored flashlights) to World ShowPlace.
If you want to walk with a group, meet outside the Dolphin hotel at the Fountain by 6:40 pm and we’ll walk as a large group.
Note: We will not be exploring Epcot during our event - if you want to see the full park, we recommend making plans to come over on Tuesday or Thursday.
Our Friday Night Event is at Orlando House of Blues, a venue within the newly renovated Disney Springs. We’ll celebrate the week and the year together, over some delicious dinner, tasty treats and bubbly beverages - and of course karaoke and dancing!
6:00 pm - Shuttles start leaving Dolphin Hotel to Disney Springs
7:00 pm - Doors open at House of Blues; Dinner & Drinks + Games, Karaoke & Lounging
9:00 pm - DJ & Dance Party (with continued Games, Karaoke & Lounging)
12:30 am - End of event
What you need
- Your Mozlando name badge and Identification (you may be carded for alcohol).
- Be advised that all bags will be searched. If you don’t need it, don’t bring it.
What to wear
This is our end of the year holiday party. Feel free to get fancy, whatever that means to you (we’d be happy to see you in your fave t-shirt, and even happier in some special holiday sweaters).
How to Get there
Mozilla hosted shuttles will be leaving from the front of the Dolphin Hotel from 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm (dinner is served until 9 pm). Looks for helped holding Mozlando signs. Doors open at 7:00 pm, so you have time to explore Disney Springs (if you would like).
They will drop on the West side of Disney Springs with a short walk to House of Blues (less than 0.10 mile). Shuttles will return to the Dolphin starting at 9:00 pm, from the West Parking Lot (same location as drop off).
See childcare options below under family section
Families in Orlando
Walt Disney World is certainly a great spot for families so we’d love it if, for those who can make it, you’d invite them along. We’ve tried to make it easy to coordinate air travel and hotel stays for them and many of our social events on Monday, Wednesday & Friday nights are open. Special offer for discounted family park passes is here.
Of course our focus, for the majority of the week, will be on Mozilla. Everyone is expected to be present and engaged each day, during work hours (as your schedule dictates). Please do what you can to make sure your loved ones understand the kind of commitment you’ve made. Family should not join you during your work sessions (other than the more tiny beings).
Families are invited to join Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings only. Please notify us in registration of the number of people and ages of any children so we can ensure we have enough food. If you did not notify in registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to add.
Here’s a quick summary logistics
Air Travel: Family travel can be booked/coordinated through Egencia by calling direct.
Hotel: They are welcome to stay with you, however, any additional room expenses (listed in hotel section) will be yours to cover.
Ground transportation to/from airport: If arriving on main arrival and departure days, we will accommodate family transportation to the Swan & Dolphin. Transportation outside of main arrival/departure days are you own expense, with or without family.
Meals: Families invited to join us for Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, as long as you register them when you register (we need a count, so we don't run out of food). All other meals (including breakfast and lunch) are on their own to purchase. If you need to add an RSVP for families to any of the evenings, please email email@example.com.
Park Tickets: Mozilla is not providing passes for family members. See above for a link to purchase passes directly. The discounted passes are not valid for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. You must purchase those separately. The discounts on this link expire December 4.
This is a chance for families to meet other families (maybe explore the Parks together or just hang out). It’s lightweight; coffee, juice and some light breakfast served.
Date: Tuesday, December 8th Location: Asia 3, Lobby Level Time: 9:00 am – 10:30 am Action: Let your family know, that’s all
What it is and how it works: We are working with our hotel and a company called Kid’s Night Out to arrange for optional childcare on Wednesday and Friday Nights. The child care would take place at the hotel, provide age-appropriate activities with certified professionals, and include dinner. Here are the specifics:
Wednesday, December 9th
6:00 pm – 10:30 pm
Cost to parents is a flat $100 per child (drop off and pick up any time within the time block).
Mozilla will host dinner.
Friday, December 11th
6:00 pm – 12:00 am
Cost to parents is a flat $120 per child (drop off and pick up any time within the time block).
Mozilla will host dinner.
If you are interested in childcare for either or both nights, the registration and credit card authorization form needs to be filled out and emailed directly to Amanda Apatow at Amanda.Apatow@swandolphin.com. The deadline to confirm a space is December 4th at 5:00 pm EST. Any requests received after the deadline will be subject to availability.
Please note that while we are facilitating the organization of the childcare, we are not managing the payment or registration for participation. So, if you have specific questions about those things, send them to: Amanda Apatow, Amanda.Apatow@swandolphin.com
Meeting Space & Internet
We are in the Dolphin Convention Center - connect directly to the Dolphin hotel from the lobby.
In your room
Access: last name + room #
In the meeting space
Food & Drink
All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will be provided and paid for centrally. Any other food or drink expenses (including room service and in-room minibar charges) will be the responsibility of the attendee.
- Allergies: We will ensure that all food/environmental allergies are taken into consideration and will always have gluten-free and vegan options (and gfv options). If you have severe allergies that we need to know about; you can indicate in registration.
- For dining in the theme parks, please refer here for dietary accommodations.
Out of Pocket Expenses
The intention of our work weeks are to centrally organize a structure within which teams can come together to work on deliverables and plans, to socialize, to meet and share with other teams, and generally come together as one Mozilla family, two times each year. The central organization includes meals (three/day + snacks), transportation, accommodations, and some number of social events.
Because of that, we’d expect a very limited number, if any, of work week-related expenses for food or social events (this includes team events, room service, mini-bar charges, and food/drink costs above the vouched amounts). Any social events that are not part of our central plan will generally be self-organized and funded by participants. For specifics on meals, please go to the Food & Drink section (above). If you have questions about any of this, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers in Orlando
Please visit the  for everything volunteers.
Anything not covered here, please add to this and we'll answer.
Booking Air Travel via Egencia
All paid staff and Elancers (MoCo only , exceptions below ) will be booking their air travel to Orlando International (MCO) through Egencia. All staff can now book their airfare through Egencia with this link. It takes you right to booking portal for Orlando and using the portal ensures we can meaningfully balance 1,200 of us to booking our own flights with a need to be mindful of budget.
- Once launched, you will sign in using Single Sign-On aka “SSO” with your LDAP (don’t “create an account for Orlando Work Week”).
- If you do not have an LDAP, you will need to submit a Service Now Ticket. Questions: email email@example.com
 Mozilla Foundation employees - Phia Sanchez is your coordinator.
 Employees from our Tokyo office will use a local agency and Yuka Takagi is your coordinator.
 Employees from our Taipei office will use Swire, your local agency and Bella Su is your coordinator.
Not paid staff?
If you are a vendor (paid by a company other than Mozilla or Elance), contractor, or seasonal staff, your manager must confirm your participation before you will be able to book travel. We reached out to managers already for this confirmation and will alert you know when you may book your travel. If you have a direct report who qualifies but did not receive an email, please reach out to bmark@.
Volunteers -- Participation will be coordinated by Brian King, Francisco Picolini and George Roter. Communication about the process for nominating is coming by end of August. Please reach out to the team with any specific questions.
Partners -- Invitations will be considered on a case by case basis. Please send those requests to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
We have a process to identify new hires each week and will invite them to book travel (and register, once that’s live) on a steady basis. No action necessary from managers other than to let them know about the event.
Air Travel Guidelines
Our standard travel guidelines apply (pre-populated in Egencia) when booking with a few additional budget constraints. Anything booked outside of them will require approval.
Most people will arrive on Monday, December 7th and leave on Saturday, December 12th. Here are some exceptions:
- Anyone who must endure more than an eight-hour time change traveling to Orlando may arrive on Sunday (this is time zone change, not travel time). If this is you, please let email@example.com know so she can approve in Egencia.
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on weekends, you may travel on Friday, December 4th and Monday, December 14th, if you’d prefer (not required).
- If you plan to spend some extra time in Orlando, choosing to arrive before Monday, December 7th or depart after Saturday, December 12th, you are responsible for any additional costs for this +/- $100 USD. Please send copies of the standard itinerary and the custom itinerary to Brianna Mark for approval. Accounting does not have a reimbursement system, so flights booked must be within policy.
- If you are attending the Monday Director's event (by invite).
Booking travel if you have family joining you
To book travel for family, whether they will accompany you on your flight or join us later, please call Egencia directly at +1-877-264-1622 - you will need to have your itinerary and phone number ready. You can pay for your family directly (including the Egencia booking fees) and coordinate with your own travel (which can be billed to Mozilla). You will not be able to book families online. The trained agents are available Monday - Friday 9 am - 5 pm EST (and strongly suggest you call within that window).
Air Travel Fine Print
Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only. If you need a change and have manager approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to requesting the change with Egencia. Once you have approval, call Egencia to make the change at +1 (702) 939-2530 or +1-877-264-1622 (note this will not be possible without prior approval so be sure to get that by way of an email from your manager to Brianna Mark). If you are changing for personal reasons, the change in airfare, change fee and Egencia fee is your responsibility.
If you plan to arrive on December 7th and depart on December 12th (i.e. you’re not planning to spend any extra time in Orlando), you do not need to book your hotel room -- all you need to do is register.
Booking "Extra Nights" at The Swan & Dolphin
The hotel is SOLD OUT December 4-12. There is enough space for each employee to have one (1) guestroom each ONLY.
- *There is an additional per-person fee per night of $25 (>one). Also, the $159 rate goes up after November 13th so book soon if you’re serious about this.
- *The first night's deposit + resort service package + tax will be charged to your credit card upon confirmation of your reservation.
- *Should you need to cancel a personally arranged reservation, your individual deposit and the resort service package is refundable if notice is received at least five (5) days prior to arrival and a cancellation number is obtained. Cancellations may be made by calling the hotel directly at 800-227-1500 or 407-934-4000 ext 2300 or by email at email@example.com.
- *All guestrooms have a small, empty mini fridge. Cribs are complimentary, but subject to availability.
Hotel Fine Print
Mozilla will cover the standard hotel rate of $159, resort fee and taxes for arrival on Monday, December 7th - departure on Saturday, December 12th. If you choose to arrive early, depart late, upgrade your room type and/or have anyone join you, you will be responsible for the additional fees.
If you are from a country that requires a business visa to enter the US, please plan for it early as government processing time constantly change.
Please visit the following website to learn more about the process and timing for your country: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html#overview
VWP: You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:
- Intend to enter the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit
- Have a valid passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country
- Have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization
- Arrive via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier (all commercial airlines meet this requirement)
- Have a return or onward ticket
- Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas
- Are a citizen or national of one of the Visa Waiver Program countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Malta, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan or United Kingdom.
A pocket letter is not required to enter the US - as long as you have a proper visa, ESTA or qualify for the VWP. You can use your hotel confirmation email. If you feel you need a customs letter, you can request one from firstname.lastname@example.org until 2 pm PST on Friday, December 4th. After that date, they will be unable to issue new letters.
ESTA Point of Contact
In the ESTA application you need to give a "U.S. Point of Contact Information".
Please list Brianna Mark as your US point of Contact. Address: 331 East Evelyn Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94041
- Find folks to run with!
- Mozilla Christians prayer meeting, Wed-Fri, 8.30 - 9am, "Australia 1". Come and pray for each other, other Mozillians, the project and the world. :-)
- Anyone interested in board games - start a wiki page (though finding a good time might be tough, given the evening plans and options for entertainment). I suggest quick items that could be played during lunch or in other down moments. (Card games, dice games, etc). I'll bring a couple including Cosmic Wimpout, and likely a fast co-op game (Forbidden Island), perhaps a few more. (jesup)
People are meeting at the Southern Hemisphere room in the evenings (around 10pm on Tuesday and likely a similar time on Wednesday).
- Indoor Skydiving, let's fly (safely) and fun together
- Shooting range, learn shooting a real gun in a near shooting range and it's totally legal!
- Visiting Kennedy Space Center Rocket!
Keynote template for Mozlando : https://mozilla.netx.net/public/D3gr2a5P/orlando-2015_keynote.key
"Style guide" or sorts to help you think about how to visually present your content : https://mozilla.netx.net/public/5UNaXgG2/orlando-2015_styles.key.