Scribed by James
Raul Bucata (karl)
OKR 2021Q1 checkin (karl)
- Dennis: You can now use GitHub actions in `mozilla` org repos on GitHub!
From May 24 - August 24, 2021. Final project proposals are due March 7, 2021
- Karl: What do you all think?
- Karl: Outreachy is an internship program for underrepresented people. It takes a bit of time, and depenend on the candidate, it can take more or less time.
- Karl: For this to be a thing, you need to create a project and a proposal. The question is: do we think we have the time and resources to do it? Is there anyone interested?
- Dennis: It's a great learning experience for both sides. You don't have to do it on your own - you can reach out to everyone if you need help.
- James: You'll get to work with a lot of great people. Worth knowing: a lot of the time spend on the mentors side is front-loaded... coming up with the project, the whole application process, a lot of the work happens before the internship.
- Karl: When I mentored people, code reivews are especially useful to understand things, and also to understand how to explain things. If you have an idea for a project, Dennis and Karl can share details on how project should be structured, I'm supportive of anyone who wants to participate.
There's a discussion going on with Firefox UX about the new placement of report site issue button in the context of Proton project (redesigning of elements of the browser chrome). https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Proton
- Karl: Proton is a UI refresh, and a lot of things will change. Currently, in Nightly and DevEdition and Beta, the "Report site issue" is in the meatball menu that will be removed in Proton.
- Karl: They wanted to hide the icon in some context menu initially, but we've had discussions, and the current state is that the icon will be directly in the address bar.
- Karl: Oana and Raul might get flooded by issues. If you see that it's too much, please press the Panic Button and we can talk about this and make changes.
FYI: brainstorming/listing our common pain points for diagnosis begins (Tom)
- Tom: I'm about to start a discussion with the devtools folks about the kinds of issues that are slowing us down, and what we can do to help fix any papercuts/bugs. It would be great if everyone (even those who don't just diagnose, but have pain while triaging issues) could make a fresh list of their bugs/issues with the devtools for me. For instance, things like adding HTML pretty-printing, improving pretty-printing to make code more vertical, etc.
Two Minutes ( 👹 )
This is the summary of what you have done during the last two weeks. * Feel free to add your own 2 minutes. * Keep it short. * Feel free to add your name if you think you need to share something.
- Dennis: Finishing migrating wptsync to Github Actions, diagnosis and outreach, ...
- James: Sick. Recovering a bit. Added some test debugging features to wpt. Trying to figure out how to count tests.
- Karl: Report site issue button. Diagnosis. Kibana kibana and ML fun. Long bicycle rides.
- Ksenia: Looking through ML repos nad trying to make sense of all the moving pieces and document my findings
- Oana: Triage & Moderation. Bugzilla verification and ETP issues re-check. Bad weather rainy & cold, but I managed to do a hiking trip in the snow.
- Raul: Triage & Moderation. Manual testing on Education site (edX) and Bugzilla verification. Did a little bit of snowboarding over the weekend.
- Tom: Diagnosis, also finally have team momentum on the shims effort, which might potentially be done soon (initial version, anyway). Starting to think about other efforts, too. Otherwise, my work laptop died, so I'm Zooming on my phone and waiting for its replacement.. yay!
PTO / Travel ( 👹 )
(no more travel until the end of 2020… probably) Coming holidays across the world https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/
FYI: 2021H1 Ideas (karl)
Let's keep this around so we have a reference. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w3_AU4ZYJJLSkqOW5j_6K49JxmutEsxcpsiwHXz8Tbw/edit?usp=sharing