We had an All Hands Mozilla Work Week Meeting from December 2 to December 6, 2015.
- 1 Logistics
- 2 Attendees:
- 3 Agenda
- 4 Topics Bank
- 4.1 [Compat-Scanning-as-a-Service]
- 4.2 [Measuring Web Compatibility]
- 4.3 [Designing/building tools for site outreach]
- 4.4 WebCompat.com
- 4.5 Compat regression testing for Desktop/Mobile
- 4.6 Related to previous topic, crawling the web to measure compatibility heuristics.
- 4.7 Hacking on canopener
- 4.8 Tools and workflow
- 4.9 Webcompat.com Retrospective
- 4.10 Release readiness automated regression testing
- 4.11 Webcompat "PR": articles, talks, etc.
- 4.12 Presentation materials for talks/workshops
- 4.13 Web Compatibility in China and Japan
- 4.14 Web Compatibility and workload increase
- 4.15 Future Work Weeks
- 4.16 Joint meetings
- 4.17 with release management
- 4.18 with layout and DOM
- 4.19 Notes during the work week.
- Location: Portland, Oregon (No lobsters sniff)
- Brad Lassey
- Hallvord Steen
- Karl Dubost
Arrival: 8:42 AM, December 1st, 2014 Departure: 10:51 AM, December 6th, 2014
- Lawrence Mandel (limited availability)
- Mike Taylor
Arrival: 5:15 PM, December 1st Departure: 6:00 AM, December 6th
- John Jensen is interested but will only be able to sporadically attend
- Alexa Roman
Arrival: 12:42 PM, December 1st Departure: 10:15 AM, December 6th
Tue, December 2, 2014
- 9:00am - 11:00am Company wide thing
- 11:00 - EOD Topics
Wed, December 3, 2014
- 9:00am - 11:00am Company wide thing
- 11:00am - 12:00am WebKit CSS discussion. Us with platform.
- 11:00 - EOD Topics
- 2:00 - 5:00 Compatibility Data & Service project planning, Hilton Broadway 1
- (3:00 - 4:00 mike (maybe?) attending Intro to how Gecko works, Ballroom F, all welcome to attend)
Webcompat.com Goals and Roadmap
- Establish/document/clarify goals for webcompat.com
- Choose success metrics that align with goals
- Idea generation to reach goals (think of new ideas + pull stories from backlog)
- Dot vote on ideas
- Six-up sketching on 3 highest voted ideas
Thu, December 4, 2014
8:00am - 10:00am (optional meeting for those interesting in streaming video compat): https://etherpad.mozilla.org/web-media-mozlandia-2014
WebCompat and release management.
Flags, big releases or small releases, trunk, not trunk. etc. Miketaylr is the only one releasing for now. We sometimes have long standing branches without releases.
TODO: miketaylr to send to karl the script for deploying webcompat.com TODO: miketaylr to put karl'ssh public_key on the webcompat.com servers.
There is a need to break down the features on the home page in a couple of more targeted features. See the drawings (photos by Karl)
Catering is taking care off. Location too.
- 2 unresolved questions.
RSVP + tracks/formats. Alexa suggested using EventBrite (free if our event is free).
Fri, December 5, 2014
Topics for the whole day.
: discussion on webcompat-internal.
[Measuring Web Compatibility]
: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.compatibility/80C2gXAJRt8 Also recent thread about measuring # of Desktop vs. Mobile sites on Firefox OS:
> 1/ Which is the % of Websites that do not recognise FirefoxOS User Agent and hence sent a Desktop version of the Web Site. > 2/ Which is the % of Websites that are using ³proprietary² features that break the WebSite in FxOS
[Designing/building tools for site outreach]
Testing webcompat.com issues with SlimerJS / Compatipede
WebCompat and UserSnap
Hallvord has asked if we should promote it. They've given us a lifetime free account and it provides some cool info in GitHub issues. Let's discuss.
Compat regression testing for Desktop/Mobile
Related to previous topic, crawling the web to measure compatibility heuristics.
Hacking on canopener
set up the new version of Willie/canopener which has built in webhosted logging (i think) and make sure it's daemonized properly
Tools and workflow
Let's teach each other how to be more efficient or learn new things. Show off tools or workflows that help you.
- What's going well, what could we improve on webcompat.com
Release readiness automated regression testing
Webcompat "PR": articles, talks, etc.
- What did we publish this year?
- Where did we talk?
- What do we want for 2015?
Presentation materials for talks/workshops
- Do we need a slideset if we do not talk anymore that much?
Web Compatibility in China and Japan
- work traceability
Web Compatibility and workload increase
- Acknowledging the work we do on Desktop component
- Acknowledging the webcompat.com work done outside of webcompat
- Dashboard for participants (contributors and employees)
Future Work Weeks
- WebCompat meeting in Paris in 2015
- To note that TPAC 2015 will be in north Japan in Sapporo http://www.w3.org/2015/11/TPAC/
- We need a few things in devtools to do a better job. What are they? Bugs list?
- Can we help devtools with submitting patches?
- Being able to copy full URLs from everywhere there is URL-related UI (script listings, CSS files etc) would be very useful for bug discussions
Some of the things we might want to discuss with DevTools
- Network view or Console: Log of HTTP headers Requests/Responses when requesting a Web site with a specific profile. Ready to cut and paste in a bug or send an email. (option to add the body)
- Profiles that can be saved for simulating requests.
- Inspector: Deminification of HTML pages.
- Console: Errors linked to the right columns (not only line) in CSS and JS from Console to Style Editor or Debugger.
- Console: CSS errors and links to the appropriate line from Console to Style Editor.
- Debugger: Rename JS variable and propagate in the code (issue analyzing the scope.)
- Debugger: Make it possible to see dynamically with a small bubble near the variable the value of this variable (currently it's in the right column of the debugger.)
with release management
in order for us to collaborate more directly on the quality of releases from a compat prespective
with layout and DOM
about how to reduce the change of Web regressions due to CSS and DOM changes (possibly with JS team as well?)
Notes during the work week.
- To have a public open space to discuss web compatibility issues with a focus on issues that impact more than one browser
1) Create a unified place for working (Bugzilla, import Chromium issues) - [TODO for Karl - Explain what kind of features he's missing on Webcompat] 2) Improve the quality of reporting for mobile users to increase the quality of bugs reported 3) To be able to track progress and see your progress as a contributor 4) Make it easier to export bugs back to (Bugzilla, CR Bug, etc) when necessary 5) To increase automation for site outreach 6) To increase the speed of the site
- Add a step "Needs Contact"
- Make messaging clearer for non-technical people “Is the site broken?”
- Have a local copy of the data
- Make it clearer that reporting a bug is public
- To establish community moderators for each major browser
- To allow site owners/developers to track bugs on a specific domain name
- Dashboard for tracking your work
- Easy screenshots for bug reports
- Using Are We Compatible Yet? script so we can automate solved issues