Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update
- Jen Simmons is now One of Us!
- Longtime web developer, producer of http://TheWebAhead.net
- Spending a ton of time this year talking about layout
- you can watch it at https://vimeo.com/132369711 password ‘layoutdesign’ — slides are at https://speakerdeck.com/jensimmons/modern-layouts-getting-out-of-our-ruts-1
- Upcoming speaking schedule http://jensimmons.com/
- Update from Sandra on Brazil JS
- Update from Josh on WebVR
- You need to know Three.js and have a headset to do stuff. Trying to fix that.
- Build your first VR site in 5-10 minutes. Any browser, any hardware (even without a headset)
- Start trying to do live coding sessions, tutorials, etc. Try to get ~100 people to use this and give us feedback.
- Events are a huge channel to get this into the hands of people.
- Cutting away as much as possible and laser focus on getting real people to start creating content.
- Nick and Diego working on markup piece.
- Aiming for DevEdition on Sept 21st.
- "This will be the true kickoff for the WebVR project from a public standpoint." <--- If the timing works out. We have a list of features we believe are required for MVP status, and we're working this week to determine whether these are feasible for Sept 21 uplift.
- Met with Ember
- Met with Google Chrome director to discuss supporting College Credit course work on Open Source projects
- Working on Game site redesign
- IOT planning
- Yay - Jen Simmons is joining us this week.
- Filed a ton of FxOS bugs
- Working on https://bugzil.la/1196734 (adding WebExtension support to WebIDE)
- Requires building / flashing the entire FxOS stack, and Nightly, for each change. Haven't done anything like this in a while. :)
- Became an AMO editor
- Wrote up MidwestJS talk. Recording released today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz4-hKoy0M
- 3-minute mood video from OTSConf published, our FxOS workshop is more than half of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uktz9J0uPs
- Brainstormed with Sole (email coming to devrel@ after meeting)
- TL:DR; see if we can win more with great focus on "content" developers (wordpress/drupal) rather than webapp developers. Can we further differentiate DevEdition?
- Responded to a bunch of folks on Hacker News and Reddit re: signed extensions, WebExtensions, etc.
- We're still botching the messaging
- FxOS porting team - planning/strategy. planning meetups, maybe around DroidCon London, to bootstrap some ports.
- worked w/ jcarpenter to get a hardware recommendation published for desktop VR rig
- Flames for 4 German community members, mostly localizers and support team
- Tech Speakers v2 week by week schedule
- Ordered t-shirts for a bunch of people in the office that never got new-hire swag packs
- Sony post nearly ready to publish, but holding off while waiting for news of their builds+OTA
- finalizing capstone backup/restore app
- review chapter 4 of FxOS book
- submitted OSU capstone proposal for Deep Speech, one more coming
- submitted MozFest workshop proposal for academic program integration
- worked on MozFest workshop proposal for WebVR with Rabimba
- UX triage for FxOS and working on fixing https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1182844
- working with MDN (shobson) to get collapsible content sections added to MDN
- RPi2 porting - LOTS of interest
- Hacks blog recent & upcoming: The end of ES6 In Depth, DE 42 highlights, Sony phone hacking, CSS scroll snapping
- Tech Speakers phase 2 to begin on Sept 15, and segue into Participation team leadership initiatives for 2015-2016/ (in conversation phase)
- Some speaker outreach/cat-herding/content planning for View Source conf.
- REQUEST: please share your updates / summer highlights with me here - for next Monday -
- Hacks work continues unabated!
- Will be speaking at Web Unleashed in Toronto Sept 16-17
- Helping with View Source content
- Hung out with Dan when he was in London! We tried to hack on something but no. We had a minicabal instead.
- More demo work. Spent a few days blocked on a thing but finally figured it out and it's now coming along nicely.
- In parallel: preparing meta-talk about talk/demo, for Thursday in Brighton this week
- I might also have found interesting bugs in three.js
- Also pushing WebAudio / Firefox a little bit far which is nice. It hasn't severely broken yet.
- Reaching out to speakers for ViewSource
- (En route back from BrazilJS)
- Last week — oh, there was no last week!
- Next week I'll be at An Event Apart Chicago, giving my Modern Layouts talk: http://aneventapart.com/event/chicago-2015
- This week — on boarding; revising Modern Layout talk (I need to pull a section out); looking into a flex-basis bug in FF.
- JSConfEU in Berlin coming up. Sponsoring a Demo Lounge (Games, VR, FxOS WebExtensions hacking)
- Sponsoring Web Unleashed, where Potch is speaking
- Taking over organization of View Source, if you have questions, go to Sandra.\
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
(Update: No good availability for everyone; postponing til Orlando)
- Another team member coming in, once they're in, we can set up a time to get everyone together
- UPDATE YOUR AVAILABILITY IN THE EVANGELISM CALENDAR
- September would be too soon, so October or November?
- Callahad to send out a Doodle poll
Q & A
Sole : I would like to take PTO this year. My only free time is November. Does DevRel need to attend to View Source?
Sandra : View Source is presented by Mozilla, but is not a Mozilla event. Expectations are only on confirmed speakers.