Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- Only one all-team cross-functional meeting for Mozlando (DevRel + MDN)
- Everyone else expected to schedule your own meetings with other teams
- We're going to be in One Big Room with the rest of the CTO, won't have our own DevRel room
- Firefox Tokyo developer conference
- Chirimen meeting with MozJP and KDDI about upgrading to newer version of Firefox OS
- Talk at Keio university for Daisuke and Chibi’s class
- Chirimen meeting with MozJP and KDDI about peripherals
- Proposed to MozJP marketing team to open source their printed materials for localization and remixing. Working on getting them to do for all materials, and upload into assets website.
- Write contributor pathway failstory: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1co2_ADZUoIMeXnSbzOj_rmLZzT3kBKcjcvAann303aI/edit?hl=en. Need to work with mhoye (fx-team) and Amy (add-ons) to figure out how to fix this.
- Try to optimize our relationship with PR to make sure devrel gets tapped to make posts like this one much better: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/11/17/extending-the-webs-capabilities-in-firefox-and-beyond/
- Orlando: Working to get request for WoT keynote demo by Cindy & Daisuke acknowledged.
- Orlando: Submitted cross-team meeting request for WoT projects.
- Did some a-frame testing, found [enter vr] mode is broken, and some image loads don’t work, let Josh know.
- Working on adding search to the Firefox Platform Status Dashboard
- Trawling for 2016 CFPs!
- Got to see Jen again last Thursday!
Jen Since I last came to this meeting, I:
- spoke at 6 conferences: Push Conf (Munich), Future of Web Design (San Francisco), An Event Apart (San Francisco), Future of Web Design (New York), HOW Interactive (Boston), Ampersand (Brighton, England). Total audience ~ 2,100.
- attended Chrome Developers Summit
- pair programmed on two occasions with Estelle Weyl, creating 4 codepen demos
- met many Mozillans, including David Baron — talked about CSS and Firefox priorties, about Dev Tools as a product
- learned about Platapus, talked to Potch, Bill Walker, Harald Kirschner about making sure CSS is included as an equal part of the web
- created a Slack group for public discussion of new CSS properties
- started on two websites, a twitter channel and more for the same — to build communty around learning and experiementing with new CSS Layout properties
- spent time researching and learning Flexbox, Grid, Initial-Letter, and much more
- followed up on several Firefox CSS bugs, filed 1 new one
- published in: HOW Magazine http://www.howdesign.com/web-design-resources-technology/jen-simmons-web-design-rut/; Blurbing Karen McGrane's new book: http://abookapart.com/products/going-responsive; audio interview with Bradley Martin: https://audioboom.com/boos/3816851-jensimmons-talks-to-me-at-ampersandconf-about-breaking-out-of-the-generic-web-layout-mindset
- Hacks blog this week: Oghliner today (Myk & Marco), Piotr & Marco on "Working Title: web-push notifications from irssi," Pin the Web.
- Tech Speakers: Fall pilots completed their survey, report forthcoming.
- Orlando: fielding requests from Tech Speakers about what we're doing at Mozlando, how they can participate w/us
- Working w/Participation team on Mozlando plans for contributors (esp Tech Speakers), also on Singapore Leadership summit planning.
- Lots of logistical overhead around planning travel for tech speakers
- Reviewed two Hacks post drafts, A-FRAME docs, and my Q4 goals
- Interviewed by Bram + Adora re: Extensions, how DevRel works, etc.
- Proposed DinoTank session for Mozlando re: add-on monetization
- TL;DR: Instead of sketchy things like Monetizus ( http://monetizus.com/addons.php ), maybe we could rev-share?
- Started poll on /r/webdev re: DevTools
- Got stickied by the mods.
- Submitted to a few CFPs, ES6 workshop accepted at MinneWebCon
- Field trip tickets purchased
- Fell down the WordPress / Ghost / Static Site rabbit hole again
- Back from G-STAR (Korea)
- I'll be speaking in London on Thursday about simplifying front-end code
- Sandra set up a sponsorship with Global Game Jam. I'll be helping ont he creation of a video on HTML 5 game development that will be shown there (this happens by the end of January)
- I've accepted to speak in a local meetup in Bcn on January 17
- Started to port one of my games to Firefox OS / mobile web (blog post asset)
- Worked a Firefox model for AFrame
- Reviewed a couple of posts for Hacks
- Worked on Budget line items for 2016 with Finance
- Started to work with Social Media tool
- Attended CTO meeting
- Working on meeting conflicts for Orlando
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
Q & A
Potch is in EST this week through next Tuesday. PTO Wed