Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- FxOS port to RPi2 - Any chance for that to run Gaia's TV UI? Yep!
- APZ and E10S are both in DevEdition, and people are noticing better performance. Make sure we mention them on Hacks.
- Engineering Managers want to make sure we're passing along user feedback. What are pain points?
- Headcount news.
- Prepared talk "Surviving game jams" for game dev event this weekend in Madrid
- Finally got the HTML 5 videos from the contractor.
- This week:
** Traveling to Madrid on Friday ** Adapt the JS game dev talk so it's 15 mins longer (for a session in BCN the 3rd week of February) ** Start tinkering with webVR (need to get a phone, recommendations?)
- use mozilla.education group for academic program conversation - asked that community about, and orient newcomers from mozlando to it
- singapore debrief
- reviewed Hacks post on WebVR
- coordinate NYC VR program - done deal w/ one staff and one techspeaker running it. next steps: ordering viewers, and developing curriculum.
- coordinate HackBCA - one staff and one techspeaker attending - http://hackbca.com/
- reviewed Hacks remote control api post for shiqi
- selected cardboard model for NYC VR, ordered one to test. it was terrible.
- techspeakers v3, v4 and meetup planning
- attended nodebots yesterday! very exciting! http://soledadpenades.com/2016/01/31/and-the-nodebots-from-london-assembled/
- uploaded screencast to our channel, and none of you seem to reply to my request for feedback on the content so I'll publish it the moment you least expect it :-P
- related it seems like youtube is not really prepared for multiple inputs from various countries
- tried out devtools' hotreload work-in-progress feature. it's pretty cool!
- also spoke to Bryan re SW debugging, agreed I'll wait a week or so without testing more so the features make it to nightly
- more devtools stuff: participating on sorting out the most important gripes on debugger+console
- I'll be away Wed-Fri celebrating birthdays in Spain. Of course the recruiter ignored my 'busy' and scheduled an interview for Wed T_T
- Hacks post on Push went live, spent a few days responding to comments / questions. See post on mailing list.
- Gave a presentation on Rust at Target's headquarters
- Added Andrew Vrignaud and four Mozilla Japan folks to the devrel mailing list
- I finally submitted my Q1 goals. Yay me!
- Needs Review (Potch?): https://github.com/potch/hax/issues/22
- Debugging Google push example - Navigator.permissions not in 44
- Investigating Grid Changes
- Investigating E10s and APZ - https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/434tug/firefox_developer_edition_46_feels_faster_than/czgy6n5
- Investigating SAB implementation
- Headcount planning
- Platform update and 2016 planning
- GDC - WebVR planning
- Reviewed a couple of Hacks posts
- Still playing catch up on email from Singapore, so apologies if I haven't replied to you
- Lots of planning for the 3rd Tech Speaker pilot and the Phase 2 program, which will enable scaling, but requires planning and devrel participation
- Rescheduling the all Tech Speaker meetup - moving from late April to early June/adjacent in time to LDN work week
- Hacks blog: anticipated posts this week: Trainspotting 44 (potch); Dev Tools 46 post; E10s & APZ (post this week) ; WebVR post postponed (TW engineers in touch w/Cvan from VR team; owe a reply to Belén re: Game Jam
- https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/next-steps-mozilla-tech-speakers-developer-events/6837 - my msg to dozens of individual inquiries post-Singapore.
- RE Mozhacks Youtube - it is a broken workflow, but I don't know how to fix it. The channel was implemented by CHeilmann.
- Set up Platform Ambient Displays
- dbryant and mbest will be drunk with power and data? sure.
- NordicJS, ScotlandJS, EmpireJS cfps
- Trainspotting 44 hopefully out today
- PeninsulaJS #1 was a success! 3 great speakers. https://air.mozilla.org/peninsulajs/
- Still need to figure out setting up Discourse for devs and where that will live
- Ultra-barebones Web Push example https://github.com/potch/swtest
- Had lunch with Jeffrey Zeldman, strategizing about evangelizing layouts, design, web standards, a11y, etc in the current era
- oh, look, I'm in Net Magazine this month: https://twitter.com/stevenpemberton/status/691289877418262528
- kicked around more ideas for a CSS Grid overlay tool in Dev Tools: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1181227
- planning an event at AEA Nashville, live on stage recording of The Web Ahead
- rewrote my bio (so hard)
- creating a new website for jensimmons.com
- rewatching a lot of old videos of presentations I've given, reassessing what works & doesn't
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
Q & A
- A-Frame / VR in 2016? - Sole has a thought to share with you all - Are we sure about E10S in 46? According to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Content_Processes#Schedule it's been on in DE since 42 on August 10th, 2015. - Havi wrote: "RE Mozhacks Youtube - it is a broken workflow, but I don't know how to fix it. The channel was implemented by CHeilmann." — discuss?