Standing Agenda Items
Weekly Team Update from Jason
- (Someone take notes for Jason)
- Meet with Goo to discuss MDN articles
- Reviewing SAB implications to Devtools Debugging
- Financial review for last year
- Did a couple of Interviews for Intern this summer - We extended an offer
- Planning for DevTools rollout - Everyone is this group should have access. I sent the link out on Friday
- Trello Id setup for the team - Sent email before meeting
- Went through new WebRender materials for Servo. Trying to get Hacks content
- Back from DrupalCon Asia (Mumbai, India)
- Gave an hour long talk on Service Worker / Push / Manifest
- Sidebar presentation on Rust / Servo; lots of interest
- Sidebar deep dive into Service Workers for Drupal core devs; lots of interest, action plan in the works
- Filing at least 4 bugs as a result of the presentation
- a compositor bug, at least 2 privacy bugs related to the serviceworker cache api, push API breakage
- Expect Trip Report tonight
- ACTION: Restructure the meeting template.
- What are you looking at this week? What are you actively working on? What's going to be big?
- Keep individual update section since it's super valuable for Jason et al, but make it non-verbal.
- WebIDE auto-debug add-on, published and blogged: https://autonome.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/fixing-a-papercut-in-firefoxs-webide/
- link from last week’s post on Pocket in Firefox: https://autonome.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/doublestitch-a-simpler-and-cleaner-pocket-for-firefox/
- Tech Speakers pilot 3 session!
- Some more push&prod on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1245601 and a few other bugs
- More TS Phase 2 planning
- lots of progress on "IoT projects for your old Firefox OS phone”, should blog and ship this week
- Tech In Asia bookings mostly locked down for Singapore, Bangalore, Tokyo and maybe Jakarta
- Iterating on Tech Speakers Phase 2 planning (pitch deck for sharing w/leaders, Participation, Reps, etc) and defining the support needs
- Created Tech Speakers calendar (comparable to our team speaking calendar) - open to Mozilla.com logins https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mozilla.com_pn0rt7a2nop8tokpcsb25jnbj8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles
- Tech Speakers Pilot 3 - week 3.
- More planning for Tech Speakers Meetup - June 9-10.
- Hacks blog: waiting for WebVR API 1.0 release (any day now), check-in on GDC posts, still looking for content to publish (Various issues on
- Attended closing talk of Dev 2 Dev Summit (nice venue, underwhelming audience, talk by Chris Messina about bringing values of open web platform to Uber platform/ride experience APIs)
- Discussion about creating a template of some kind to create branded 'handouts' on APIs, features, products for conferences: current request is for a Web Audio API handout for the Web Audio Conf (April 4-6, 2016)
- Presented "Browsers in the Third Dimension!!" at Dev 2 Dev Summit last week
- Working on a blog post for the Add-ons Blog for Friday on the advantages of WebExtensions for developers
- explaining to organisers why a hidden CoC is not a useful CoC, agh
- we finally published the DevTools reload screencast + post! https://hacks.mozilla.org/2016/02/introducing-devtools-reload/ - comments so far point to the need for the videos I thought of (one for debugging the tools itself and another one with how to prepare patch and send back to upstream, so good stuff)
- blogged a bit about travelling and checking in luggage (or not) http://soledadpenades.com/2016/02/28/travel-hacks-to-check-in-or-not-to-check-in-luggage/
- taking notes of questions from Belen about Web Audio :-P
- 'pre-launching' http://peertopeer.io/blog/2016/about-clapping-music/
- gave remote talk to Milano WebGL user group, report & recording maybe to follow (I screencapped it)
- more intern interviews! found a really cool candidate who knew what a Web API was (!!!)
- investigating async/await + babel at the same time I prepare for talks
- last two days — hosted CSS Grid Workshop here in NYC. 9 people including Rachel Andrew, Fantasai, and Jared Wein from Mozilla. Folks from NYTimes and Vimeo, folks who flew in from Spain, Chicago, UK.
As a group we were rethinking the subgrid spec.
Committed to lobby Mozilla & Igalia (who's doing Blink and webkit implementions) to not ship Grid without Subgrid. Which will push it all back 6-8+ months, but we have to. Have to.
No Grids Without Subgrids!
This weekend just reconfirmed (more so): Grid is going to be huge. And hard for people to learn. Tons of need = Tons of opportunity.
- beginning of a very enthusiatic group here in NYC on layout. Going to turn into a monthly meetup. http://www.meetup.com/CSS-Layout-Club/
- lobbying secret people at Apple to ship webkit bug fix for Initial Letter
- travel plans
- connecting with folks at Microsoft & Adobe in Seattle to setup meetings w/ them for April
- edited transcript of Modern Layouts & sent to be added to the video
- following up with Sara Soueidan re: her public frustration with SVG bugs in FF
- published ep 113 of The Web Ahead
- sent ep114 to be edited
- slides slides slides slides slides slides
- putting demos up at http://labs.jensimmons.com
- Did some A-frame demos and filed a few bugs http://mozdevs.github.io/aframe-demo/
- Wrote a short article for MDN about using CSS image-rendering property for pixel art / retro games, based on a previous post in my blog
- Spoke at "HTML5 Spain" meetup about JS game dev (the recording has just been uploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtl8LIA8_M
- What I'll do this week: write the talk for WordCamp London
- Add Hacks ideas to https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevRel/Hacks
- Review the CFP calendar
(Try to keep things timeboxed and concrete. E.g., can we actually make a yes/no decision in this meeting? If not, discuss on list first.)
- we haven't updated the minutes since october 2015, should we have a 'sprint' sometime this week and move them over to the wiki? Divide and conquer and all that https://wiki.mozilla.org/Devrel/Minutes#2015 - should be fun with more people