Firefox/Features/Media Controls Refresh
|Media Controls Refresh|
|Release target||Firefox 12|
|Product manager||Asa Dotzler|
|Directly Responsible Individual||Asa Dotzler|
|Lead engineer||Jared Wein, Paul Adenot|
|QA lead||Mihaela Velimiroviciu|
|UX lead||Steven Horlander|
|Product marketing lead||`|
|Additional members||Justin Dolske|
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
Our HTML5 media controls have changed very little since they were introduced in Firefox 3.5 -- mostly just bug fixed and keeping them working as the spec evolves. HTML5 media is an area we've made serious investment in, and it's time to make sure our default controls show it.
This project is primarily a collection of bug-fixes, updated design work, and small-scope featurettes; all building on top of the existing implementation.
This feature falls primarily in the Experience category (from the "Discover, Experience, and Connect" vision statement.)
2. Users & use cases
Full-screen mode will require bug 545812, security review will happen there.
As a set of incremental evolutions, large changes such as WebRTC or a more meaningful set of streaming controls are out of scope.
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
6. User experience design
Previous investigation at Firefox/Projects/Video_Controls
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
Stage 4: Development
- (fixed, FF8) bug 518008 – click on video to pause/play
- (fixed, FF9) bug 472942 – Make viewing a video directly look nice.
- (fixed, FF10) bug 669260 – add "Show Video Info" context menu (overlay)
- (fixed, FF10) bug 681550 – Context menu for Save Video As Image
- (fixed, FF10) bug 675899 - HTML5 video player should show controls when video ends (if controls attribute is present)
- (fixed, FF11) bug 513405 – Add text to videocontrols to describe the cause of errors.
- (fixed, FF11) bug 537718 - Video should scale for a small window.
- (fixed, FF11) bug 470628 – Provide a Full Screen button (or Full Tab?)
- (fixed, FF12) bug 681548 – Visual refresh of controls
- (fixed, FF12) bug 666306 – Video content should become large play button when video is not autoplay and with controls enabled
- (fixed, FF8) bug 481082 – Video controls should listen for "stalled" event
- (fixed, FF8) bug 669217 – remove nsISecurityCheckedComponent goop
- (fixed, FF8) bug 669616 – Time in media rounded incorrectly
- (fixed, FF10) bug 556563 – Remove "View Video" context menu when you're already viewing the video
- (fixed, FF9) bug 462117 – Add specialized video controls for small-dimension media.
- (fixed, FF10) bug 513758 - Pressing Pos1/End key while video is in ended state sets status to play
- (fixed, FF11) bug 699719 - Fade out video controls if no mouse movement for > n seconds
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
|Theme / Goal||Experience|
|Engineering team||Desktop front-end|
Team status notes
|Security||sec-review-complete||2011.10.27: [curtisk]The bugs of concern were reviewed (mostly full-screen stuff) the rest is OK.|
|Quality assurance||Signed-off on Firefox 12.0 beta 1||Test Plan|