Actions from last meeting
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- source code? ? https://github.com/bill-mccloskey/mozsearch ?
- Dropping support for Visual Studio 2013
- New clipboard (cl) test job
- Readable Bug Statuses in Bugzilla are live
- Generating Visual Studio project files by default
- Some more investigation into how we can use SVG for primary UI icons has been going on in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1054016#c92
- It looks like fixing https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1058040 may address the perf issues.
- [mconley] You can now r- patches in MozReview
- [mconley] MozReview theme changes in the pipe. Example: https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/55894/file/246/
- [dmose] this (underscribed, but.. :-) session in London may be of interest to folks here: https://mozillalondonallhands2016.sched.org/event/73DM/building-trust-before-code-unpacking-the-weekly-retrospective
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Welcome Saad Quadri from Rutgers University as a summer intern mentored by MattN based in MV. Got his first patch landed on day 1!
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees): http://mzl.la/1PfuuFy
- More than one bug fixed:
- None :(
- [MattN] Are we doing less to encourage volunteers to take another bug? I know personally I've been "busier" with deliverables and mentoring other employees instead.
- [Gijs] I wonder if the other employees/interns thing does tie into it and this is a delayed effect of the "arrival" of some of those folks. Maybe mhoye has more ideas?
- [MattN] Perhaps it's also correlated with college/university schedules e.g. people were busy with exams
- [mconley]: We're tentatively on track to ship to a non-zero segment of our release channel users for 48. See Asa's blog post: https://asadotzler.com/2016/06/06/firefox-48-beta-release-and-e10s/
- [mconley]: The e10s is slowly starting to dissolve. A team fronted by mrbkap and gabor are working on the multiple content process project
- According to blassey, all e10s bugs under your component are going to become your responsibility soon, so prepare yourselves.
- The e10s team has done an initial prioritization using the P flags in Bugzilla.
- Speaking for myself [mconley], not going away on e10s bugs. Happy to clean up things that are my messes, and definitely happy to consult.
- (and we're still having weekly triages)
- Work on Akita, adding off-line/pinboard support, continues. Find one of us in London for an early demo.
- (Mostly here to call out audibles so we stay in sync)
- A reminder to sign up for https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-platform-ux for "Intent to Blah" email from this team, to stay notified about what we're working on
- Also, https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/UI_Team
- Work has started on removing the PointerLock permission request, in favour of something like the fullscreen notification on how to escape
- [Gijs] um, interesting. What's the security story there?
- [mconley] dveditz seems cool with it so long as we make it clear how to get out - see: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1273351#c3 and following comments
- FlyWeb UI (hidden behind dom.flyweb.enabled) landed and bounced. Will likely land again shortly once a perma-orange is sorted.
- It's a standard multiview panel listing devices. Should start in the customization palette by default.
- Packaged as a system add-on, so it should stay out of your hair
- Bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1272107
- Printing simplification (hidden behind print.use_simplify_page for now) uses ReaderMode to optionally strip content away from a print job
- Work is mostly being done by some folks from HP, with me reviewing.
- Waiting to hear back from shorlander for UX feedback
- Bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=962433
- Preliminary work for the new permission management experience started landing.
- Firefox 49 will send the DNT signal when Tracking Protection is enabled.
- Bug 667233 - HTTP passwords are used on the HTTPS version of the same domain when signon.schemeUpgrades=true
- You will get prompted to save a duplicate HTTPS login until bug 1127579 flips the pref on by default
Quality of Experience
- Getting https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/4mc4sz/firefox_is_finally_getting_dimmed_find/ ready to land
- Whole-word find is getting close - waiting on very busy Ehsan - who's doing this? mikedeboer
- Bugs blocking shipping of Emoji font resolved - will hopefully land soon
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1278350 ?
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1278354 ?
- Work on auto-migration in-progress
- Adding telemetry to UI for setting the default browser
- Hijacking remediation prompt landed in Fx49 (bug 1203168)
- Ongoing work to add one-off buttons at the bottom of the awesomebar panel
- Some RTL fixes for the searchbar and the search fields in about:home / about:newtab
- About Sync is now on AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-sync/