Actions from last meeting
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- [MattN] pushPrefEnv/popPrefEnv/flushPrefEnv now return Promises
- Is there a bug to give `pushPermissions` the same treatment?
- [MattN] No plans; there are several SpecialPowers APIs that can return promises.
- Install and Application Update team work week
- [mconley] Platform UI team
- [MattN] Google I/O was last week
- Payment Request
- Credential Management
- ask.mozilla.org has shut down. Use https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/firefox-development instead
- [markh] fx-team meetup in London
- [Pike] Localization of Firefox
- [mconley] r-'ing of MozReview patches has landed in vct. The MozReview team is testing on the dev instance, and will hopefully deploy to production soon.
- [mconley] I don't know if anybody else noticed, but the firefox-ui tests are in tree now: https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/testing/firefox-ui/tests/functional
- sadly still not tier-1 so still don't get you backed out.
- do we know how to run these locally?
- ./mach firefox-ui-functional is a thing
- ./mach firefox-ui-update is another thing
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees): http://mzl.la/1RmfvJD
- More than one bug fixed:
- Katie Broida
- [mconley] Stability update!
- Shutdown crashes of the content process seem to be the culprit. The 5 second timeout on shutting down the content process isn't long enough.
- Ideally, we'll improve the speed with which the content process can shut down, but because these crashes are not user facing (no dialogs pop up, for example), we're ignoring them.
- With the intentional shutdown kills removed from the equation, e10s is more stable than non-e10s except on XP, and OS X 10.6-10.8.
- The e10s experiment on beta has been cleared to ride for the entire beta cycle
- This is great for measuring a number of things, particularly user engagement.
- The team is currently investigating a slight regression in slow script dialog reporting
- The team is also trying to reduce memory fragmentation, which is where many of our content process OOM-small crashes are coming from.
- 1.3.2 (minor changes) has been shipping (currently throttled) on release
- Changelog: https://github.com/mozilla/loop/commit/ada0311a3292f6a17ca3fad5ba18f06ad4753466
- Persistent chat and tab board (akita) standup continues
- Go-faster-enabled feature iteration has helped! -- room funnel creation number improvement (switch to auto-sharing, other stuff..)
- Captive portal detection patches in review.
- Lots of work underway for Control Center v2, but nothing has landed yet.
Quality of Experience
- In development: https://vimeo.com/167239422 (30sec off-meeting vid ;-) )
- this is awesome, thank you!
- +1 :)
- Fancy! :-)
- Please direct Session (Re)Store questions to :mikedeboer
- Emoji font on WinXP/ Linux in development, continuing on https://github.com/mozilla/emojione-colr
- Already many kudos to :jfkthame for lots of work done
- Work on migrating addons in Firefox Reset (1017919) on pause for a bit to focus on...
- ...improving the first-run data migration from other browsers (1248077)
- Just 2 bugs left from "5 most recent bookmarks" ( https://mnoorenberghe.github.io/bz-dependency-buglist/?list=1219804 ), and 4 (including those 2) in the "improve bookmarking" QX cluster ( https://mnoorenberghe.github.io/bz-dependency-buglist/?list=1219810 )
- TIL about https://mnoorenberghe.github.io/bz-dependency-buglist. :-)
- It's totally awesome +1
- Search hijacking mitigation patch in review.
- final mock-up we implemented: http://people.mozilla.org/~shorlander/search-settings-restore/search-settings-restore-01.html
- Another Places performance optimization ready but held until 50, due to a need for DB migration.
- Awesomebar results now display matching text in bold.
- Bookmark tree validator now in tree: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1265419
- Add-on that shows information about Sync: https://github.com/mhammond/aboutsync (Including bookmark tree corruption)
- FxA device manager work: showing a notification when a new device is added to a Firefox account. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1201335
- New theme video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRf9ooQ7qq8