Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
- Vidyo Room: Warp Core
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- There is an App/Site compat effort to ensure content works on the Mozilla platform
- Involvement from business dev, QA, product, engineering, dev evangelism, market insights, press
- Information and details being documented on the wiki
- Lawrence Mandel (lmandel) for questions, to get involved
- Contacts requirement in flux, product discussions ongoing so we can have clarity soon on use-cases.
Release (3.6, 12, 10esr)
- 12 signed off, updates are unthrottled as of last night
- second round of 3.6 EOL MU prompts go out today (bug 750403)
- Still 38 bugs tracking 13+ - if your bug has been fixed & landed, please update the status flags
- 13.0b2 coming on Friday (5/4)
- updates unthrottled last Friday
- Very significant Snappy fix landed this week as part of memshrink that reduces leaks in chrome (bug 695480). This can also catch leaks from add-ons. It should significantly reduce memory usage and thus cycle-collector pauses, etc.
- 744388 [Page Thumbnails] implement a custom storage, don't use the file cache
- 515785 Use new icons for each task in Win7 Jump list tasks
- 729133 preconnect http sessions before cache lookup
- 539095 Expose high-resolution timing API to web content
- 588683 Implement form attribute
- 2012-05-08: Go to build
- 2012-05-11: Push to market
- Landing blockers
- New front-end work
- Reader mode
- Text selection
- HTML5 context menu
- Android blockers: 0 beta, 8 release, 2 soft
- Work ramping up on Sign into the browser on desktop.
Apps In the Cloud Server
Release (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)
- All is well
Stabilization (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)
- Released 1.7b2 last week no new beta this week
- There will be a 1.7RC1 out this afternoon
- On track to release 15 May 2012
Development (1.8 -> Firefox 13, 14)
- On track to merge to Stabilization 15 May 2012
- HTML l10n has landed in Master - will ship with 1.8
- At last week's Firefox workweek, Irakli hacked up SDK support to Firefox’s Scratchpad editor via his ‘Scratch-kit’ add-on. It can be difficult to get running right now, but will be easier with a planned Fx bug fix.
- SITB progress at work week!
- Product feedback for Sync:
- Not coupled to SITB. SITB is a different product altogether (mutually exclusive with Sync).
- That also means: no "flag day" for now
- Firefox Desktop 14 (Aurora) - landed
- Looking to back out this functionality - bug 750936
- Native Install
- Chromeless launch of apps
- Firefox Desktop 15 (Nightly)
- Working on fixing bugs - mostly fit and polish to fit Kilimanjaro requirements
- Defining Hometab promotion of apps
- Defining Newtab launchpad of apps
- Firefox Mobile 15 (Nightly) - in progress
- Work started in Fx14 continues in 15.
- Proposed marketplace bundling with Fennec is an open issue. See bug 738545
- Apps in the Cloud
- AITC client continues
- AITC Server - Completed
Firefox 12 issues summary:
Feedback is consistent with what we expected. We have a 4% increase in issues reported on input compared to the first week of the 11.0 release. This increase appears to be result of a combination of the PDF issue on mac (see bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=747073), Torbutton drag & drop breakage (see bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715885) plus general UI changes to tabs & menus for users upgrading from 3.6. We do have 18 new votes on SUMO for the Gmail chat issue (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=750389).
FF12 praise summary, down 7% from FF11:
FF13 beta issues summary:
PDF on Mac 96 comments
Flash/video 74 comments 82 comments
FF13 beta praise summary:
default smooth scrolling, well-liked: 96 comments
tab screen:      
new start page:    
FF14 aurora issues:
UI: buttons - http://input.mozilla.org/opinion/2882869 feedback - http://input.mozilla.org/opinion/2882855 padlock - http://input.mozilla.org/opinion/2882840
silverlight crash:   
click to play: http://input.mozilla.org/opinion/2890466
FF14 aurora praise:
Click to play: http://input.mozilla.org/opinion/2891902
Flash stability: http://input.mozilla.org/opinion/2890763
autocomplete URLs:   
UX & User Research
This week in Firefox UX
- presentation of what happening from last week's work week: blog post, direct link to presentation (Madhava)
- [android] specs for tablet UI now all translated into bugs! (ibarlow)
- [android] reader mode prototype -- continuing to get more awesome - see here bug 696921 (patryk)
- [sign-in] sign-into-browser prototype from Fx workweek (zhenshuo)
- [metro] detailed designs for app bar variants (every context) being worked on (Yuan)
- kicking off in-depth design for apps in Fx integration; some new-tab changes about to go to UX Nightly (Boriss)
Desktop / Platform
- The Google Security team made a post describing ClusterFuzz, their cluster of machines that perform 50 million fuzz tests per day on the latest Chromium builds. The entire pipeline from managing test cases to verifying fixes is automated.
- Google Drive launched, with some initial integration into ChromeOS and with much more planned. Initial integration arrived in the ChromeOS dev channel this week. Google applies all its search tools, including image recognition to data that is uploaded to Drive.
- Microsoft supported the development of a Metro style JQuery theme for web developers
- Microsoft made significant changes to the rules for submitting applications to the Windows 8 Marketplace
- Rumours published in the New York Times and elsewhere suggested that Microsoft has suggested that Facebook purchase the Bing search engine.
- Anne van Kesteren posted his explanation of why Opera decided to support some webkit-prefixed CSS properties. The WebKitBits blog had a different impression of what should be done.
- Thomas Roessler of the W3C posted a good summary of the current state of the Do Not Track initiative at the W3C, European and US levels.
Research In Motion
- Sencha performed an in-depth review of the HTML5 support on the latest version of the Blackberry playbook, characterizing its support as "excellent".
Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.
- Opera released stats on Opera Mini and Mobile user behaviour
- Preliminary Q1 results place Samsung as top smartphone producer
- Kindle Fire estimated to account for over 50% of US Android-based tablet market
- Rumours about a Facebook phone allegedly produced by HTC surfaced again
- First Intel phone features 1.6 GHz Atom Z2460 single core CPU, 400 MHz PowerVR SGX 540 GPU, 1 GB of RAM
- HTC rumoured to be planning manufacture of own set of ARM-based chipsets
- RIM unveiled developer alpha version of BB OS 10
- Tizen version 1.0 was released in form of source code and SDK
- Canonical rumoured to be planning Ubuntu-based mobile devices
- Usage of TV white spectrum for wireless communications making progress in Cambridge, UK
- The list of IP-related litigations between Apple and Samsung features 50 lawsuits in 10 countries
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- starting work on next release blog posts; collateral
- seeing a strong response to 3.6 EOL; looks like we've dropped 10-15% of 3.6 ADUs in the past week.
- Firefox 3.6.x reaches end of life
- Firefox 13 Beta Gets a Speed Boost with SPDY by Default
- Mozilla ponders major Firefox UI refresh
- New Firefox Design Will Offer Uniform Look Across Desktop and Mobile
Questions, Comments, FYI
- Does the backout of apps integration in 14 effect the mozillian preview of Apps?
- Answer: No, it does not. The Mozillian Beta preview of Apps will be supported in Nightly.
Actions this week
- dcm to find updated states of sdk usage in new addons
- thunder/mconnor - update on identity+sync
- michelleluna - look at gmail feedback for aurora this week (doesn't reload); Answer: there is no input data to suggest a widepsread reloading Gmail issue in Firefox, I see only 6 comments out of 999 related to Gmail and none about not reloading, see input.mozilla.org/en-US/?product=firefox&version=14.0a2&date_start=2012-04-25&date_end=&q= A more generic search for 'google' also surfaces no comments about mail issues.