Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 2.1 Firefox Desktop
- 2.2 Firefox Metro
- 2.3 Firefox Mobile
- 2.4 Services
- 2.5 Developer Tools
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 User Experience (Design & Research)
- 5 Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- FF20 was released yesterday, 4/2 - release notes are available at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/desktop/20.0/releasenotes/
- FF21b1 is targeted for release tomorrow (with FHR) - see draft release notes at https://www-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/21.0beta/releasenotes/
- Stub installer is about to be offered to beta users permanently in bug 857199
- FF22.0a2 will be enabled before the end of the week
- Nightly is now FF23 as of 4/1
- Firefox Metro Iteration #5: April 1, 2013 - April 12, 2013
- Total Work:
- 5 existing feature changes.
- 14 existing feature defects.
- 9 new features.
- Completed Work: 15%
- 2 existing feature change.
- 1 existing feature defects.
- 3 new features
- Remaining Work: 85%
- 3 existing feature changes.
- 13 existing feature defects.
- 6 new features.
|831918||Story - Pin, Unpin, Hide, and Restore a Top Site||ASSIGNED|
|833182||Story - Updating Firefox||ASSIGNED|
|836791||Story - Junior-style back and new tab overlay buttons||ASSIGNED|
|841228||Defect - Hover state on buttons (like the bookmark star) persists after you tap the button||ASSIGNED|
|842639||Story - watch and listen to video and audio||ASSIGNED|
|845484||Story - Choose types of private data to clear in the options flyout||RESOLVED-FIXED|
|846275||Defect - On first install win8 prompt does not have firefox listed||ASSIGNED|
|846422||Change - Context menu overlays flyouts||RESOLVED-FIXED|
|848155||Change - Add Colored Bar with Text to Bottom of Topsites Thumbnails||ASSIGNED|
|848594||Story - Dragging the starting selection monocle to the left in a scrollable text input with selection doesn't work||RESOLVED-VERIFIED|
|850413||Story - Repositioning content for skb display||ASSIGNED|
|850673||Defect - Double clicking Next in Find bar selects and displays grippers for next selectable instance||RESOLVED-FIXED|
|850737||Story - Smoothly scroll the Firefox Start screen||ASSIGNED|
|851592||Change - allow user to touch empty space in Firefox Start screen to dismiss url info bar||ASSIGNED|
|852014||Defect - Issues downloading and installing msi||ASSIGNED|
|852805||Defect - Adding "Enter" shortcut while using search (CTRL + F)||ASSIGNED|
|854072||Defect - Press and hold on empty space brings up nonsensical context menu options||ASSIGNED|
|854269||Defect - "Pin" still selected when pressing "Back" or "Forward" buttons||ASSIGNED|
|854271||Defect: about: image does not display and link 404s||ASSIGNED|
|854274||Defect - Showing the "Tab Dock" when creating new tabs using "+" button||ASSIGNED|
|854881||Change - Remove Master Password Support||RESOLVED-FIXED|
|855090||Story - Move mochitests into a sub dir under browser/metro/base/tests||RESOLVED-FIXED|
|855417||Defect - Tap on an empty text input places caret selection monocle at the top of the screen||ASSIGNED|
|855578||Change - Leaving website error message should appear modal||ASSIGNED|
|855581||Defect - New tab created if you receive "Leave Page" error and only a single tab is present||ASSIGNED|
|855590||Defect - Start page does not refresh app bar Star button state||ASSIGNED|
|855677||Defect - "Undefined" displayed instead of "New Tab" in tab title when restarting with show tabs from last time||RESOLVED-FIXED|
|856202||Defect - can't download nightly full installer||ASSIGNED|
- \o/ Fx20 Shipped: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/20/RC/1
- Customizable about:home and per-tab private browsing: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox
- We are keeping our eyes peeled for any spikes in the SQLite DB crash arena as we saw in Fx19. Otherwise, Fx20 has been noted as being the most stable version, yet.
Fx21 Beta 1 is currently being qualified: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/21/Beta/1
- Web Content Fonts
- Continued support for Distribution Files (themes, bookmarks, pinned sites)
- Incremental HTML5 compat improvements
- Dynamic Toolbar <== continuing to land improvements
- NFC Support
- Continued Improvements to UI
- Packaged Apps Support <== focus is getting this to a testable state
- Moar HTML5 APIs (Web Audio): Web Audio was enabled on Nightlies. This bumps our HTML5 score to 431
Firefox Health Report
- FHR is now live with the initial user-facing report on Nightly and Aurora, and will be in Beta later this week
- Work continuing on finding and addressing perf concerns on desktop
- Android planning and initial exploration is underway
- No updates, but should have something to talk about next week.
- oh wait, you were expecting Jetpack news? Well this space will continue do that and also bring you tasty tidbits from the *rest* of the devtools team.
- tracking a single bug in Jetpack for Aurora uplift: bug 816257
- network monitor is on track to land for Fx23, in review now. bug 855544
- Q2 Add-ons UX work has started, slated to start landing in FX24 tracking bug planning notes
Snippets Surveys - We are working with Winston and Mike Kelly to push the snippets surveys for FF 20. They should provide early feedback prior to the full unthrottle. FF 20 Beta had a 4.0+ overall rating, so we expect to see similar results in release. Full report should be available next week.
- Address bar non-responsive - We are tracking an issue reported on SUMO that was not present in the Beta cycle. Seems to be related to roaming profiles on Win Server environments bug 857672
The big negative feedback topic for Firefox 20 is the removal of the Quit option (SUMO Article on removing Quit). This was an expected backlash, so we aren't too worried about it right now.
A few complaints around website rendering, but we have not been able to reproduce. Keeping an eye on that.
Users love the ability to edit their top sites (some coming back to edit their reviews from previous versions) and private browsing, but both features need more visibility.
"Smooth and fast Since the new update Firefox has improved greatly, buttery smooth, this became my default browser. Keep up this good work"
User Experience (Design & Research)
- Some synthesis and prioritization of experience papercuts from Reddit, SUMO, and Project Meta: https://firefox-ux.etherpad.mozilla.org/papercuts-summary (Blake)
- [Australis] (Zhenshuo, Blake)
- Supporting implementation -- reminder to use the UX Branch to follow along with implementation - get it here
- [Social API] (Boriss)
- Doing UI-reviews on bugs that landed last week, making followup mockups as needed
- Working on remaining wireframes & mockups for future use cases
- [newtab2] (Boriss)
- Completing edge-scenario mockups for prototype: customization pieces, search engine menu, first-run vs. old profile; adding to design document
- Working on sketches for first-run with import from another browser
- Prototype add-on for testing WIP: https://people.mozilla.com/~bwinton/newtab/newtab.xpi
- [Firefox Health Report] (Larissa)
- Firefox Health Report is landing in Beta on Thursday (4/4)!
- To try it out, go to Help > Health Report
- Please help us file bugs! FHR bugs
- [metro] (yuan)
- A SUMO article about "installing and launch Metro Firefox Nightly. Awaiting for final reviews: link
- Increase visibility: a solution of accessing "Firefox Nightly" faster under a zoomed-out view of "Apps": bug 855532
- Reported bugs about incorrect UI behaviors. To be fixed in Iteration 6.*** bug 857320 - "Pin to start" flyout should be positioned on top of the command
- bug 856119 - Defect - Web content covered by the tab strip should not be active
- [android] (ibarlow, zhenshuo)
- Refining multi-page about:home concepts
- Walkthrough with product & eng next Tuesday to kick off implementation
- Settings update
- Titlebar animation
- Writing a blog post about why the Quit menu item is gone, and how to get it back
- Starting concept work for Firefox on TVs (Zhenshuo)
- Some brainstorming: https://firefox-ux.etherpad.mozilla.org/37
- Previous Research: https://firefox-ux.etherpad.mozilla.org/49
- Refining multi-page about:home concepts
- [Behavioral Segmentation Study] (Bill, Lindsay)
- Quantitative research analysis has wrapped up.
- We have begun presenting findings to smaller groups, including the main Firefox stakeholders and the UX teams.
- We are planning on presenting to the larger organization in the coming month.
- Zhenshuo Fang is designing a set of cards and stickers, summarizing and representing each user type.
- [Worldwide Firefox Desktop Research]
- We are finalizing the list of emerging markets in Asia to study for 2013.
- We are planning on sending out RFPs to potential partner firms to manage research logistics.
- All Mozilla UXers at a UX Summit next week, so stock up now
Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
Desktop / Platform
- Google is now partnering more openly and regularly with other companies to extend its web efforts. It recently partnered with Code School to deliver a complete video-powered Chrome Dev Tool training course, and also partnered with Twilio to deliver integrated voice and SMS services to Google AppEngine.
- Chrome also received a significant update of its spell-checker, making use of Google Search to improve suggestions
- Microsoft updated their modern.ie website, allowing Mac developers to download Windows 8 / MSIE 10 Parallels virtual machines, and updated their web page scan utility to look for interoperability / compatibility issues. Modern.ie is now also downloadable as a node.js application to run behind firewalls.
- Opera, now having switched to WebKit, summarized their recent contributions to the shared project in a blog post.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Firefox: Use new stealth window to satisfy your wife, suggests Mozilla
- Firefox 20 Adds Improvements To Private Browsing, Download Manager
- Firefox 20 improves private browsing, fixes three critical flaws
- Firefox 20 improves private browsing, fixes three critical flaws
- Mozilla enhances private browsing with Firefox 20
- Firefox Update Makes Private Browsing Easier, Downloads Easier to Find
- Mozilla Firefox 20 Improves Browser Privacy