Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- 1 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- 1.1 Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin/Chad/Martin)
- 1.2 Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
- 1.3 Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
- 2 Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
- 3 Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
- 4 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction (Arcadio)
- 5 Questions, Comments, FYI
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- FF31 Beta 4 desktop shipped yesterday
- FF31 Beta 4 mobile should ship today
- We didn't ship a Beta 3 last week because of infra failures which delayed QA
- FF30 Post-Mortem happened yesterday
- Throttling experiments were successful: 25% for 24 hours got 'soak' pop faster, 100% updates on Tues (instead of Friday) was also uneventful and we got the feedback needed to feel safe doing it on Tues
Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin/Chad/Martin)
Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
Work In Progress
- bug 899643 remote tabs list visual refresh
- bug 1003877 Custom server support
- Intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners (1013024)
- bug 1012720 Fix deleting prototype getters in Fennec code
- Folks looking into several things for Gonzales (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Gonzales)
- Integrating Search Activity into m-c bug 1021864
- bug 1014848 - Improve interactions for "toolbar" (activating/deactivating awesome bar)
- bug 1014335 - Make "Pull to Refresh" in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- Crash (java.lang.NullPointerException) in GeckoPreferences on swiping away the Sync activity (Bug 1020412)
- Blacklist Top Sites suggestions that have been "removed" by user (Bug 1010266)
- Video overlay cut off after panning (Bug 1017427)
- String bundles from .properties files don't reflect locale changes until browser restart (Bug 1020502)
- Regression: Removing Item from Reading List by tapping banner icon fails (Bug 1022238)
- Empty state image cut off (Bug 1023914)
- Weird tiling behavior when scrolling on video thumbnails (Bug 1025562)
- Add ability to close all tabs (Bug 817716)
- crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) (Bug 952721)
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.toolbar.ToolbarDisplayLayout.updateFromTab(ToolbarDisplayLayout.java) (Bug 964861)
- List recently closed tabs in the UI (Bug 1004850)
- Video controls are displayed in the middle of the video (Bug 1005031)
- Some locale names not displayable in locale picker with default fonts (Bug 1023451)
- Gathering and synthesizing notes from Launcher / Lock Screen user studies (ibarlow, yuan)
- Onboarding strategy deck (yuan)
- Ongoing Search design spec work (antlam)
Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
- Hacks posts on the Web Audio editor and WebIDE made #1 on hacker news over the last week
- Web Audio editor improvements:
- Bug 980506 - Implement AudioNode destruction events for WebAudioActor
- Bug 1026766 - Support Media/WebRTC AudioNodes
- Bug 994263 - Removing GC'd nodes in the Web Audio Editor frontend
- Bug 1026811 - Upgrade to CodeMirror 4.2
- 35 bugs resolved.
- Web Audio editor improvements:
Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
- We branched the usual Snippet survey to gauge sentiment with one of the following questions:
- Very Unhappy ... very happy (What we normally use)
- One star ... five stars
- The classic Net Promoter score question (on a scale of 0-10, would you recommend ...)
- A slightly modified Net Promoter score question (on a scale of 0-10, would you choose to use Firefox the next time...)
Because we need more data for each question, we'll be running the survey for a little longer than usual. Data next week.
- Less than an hour ago, we launched a survey on the Account post-signup page to understand why people are using accounts. Data coming in 2 weeks.
- Rob Rayborn of User Advocacy found on input.mozilla.org a missing menu bug on Samsung tablets with hardware menu buttons & Aaron Train of QA reproduced it: bug 1030113
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
Worth a Read
- Google IO is this week, and starts on Wed Jun 25th. Many keynotes are streamed. Will be worth the watch, and the schedule is here.
- Amazon finally launched its Fire phone, bolstering its connected device portfolio. It's an AT&T exclusive, is about the same price as an iPhone, and has a one-click buy button. Not expected to sell large volumes, but continues to round out Amazon's HW offerings, and Bezos talked about why they did it. They're also offering incentives to developers for apps that take advantage of the Fire phone's differentiating hardware and software.
- Nokia/MS is launching an upgrade in its X line, including a $130 X2 which includes a larger screen, double the RAM, a 1.2Ghz dual core CPU, and Dual SIM capability, and even adds a capacitive home button.
- Starting to see changes in Chromium that will likely be announced this week, including new UX elements in Chrome in line with Google's Quantum Paper unified design initiative, some of which can already be seen in things like Google's Web Starter Kit.
- Yahoo! releases its Aviate home screen replacement app
- Google Play revenue continues to grow, starts to shed stigma of having apps that people won't pay for (although the Freemium model is driving revgen). Gaming is the big rev driver in the space
- Nest acquires Dropcam, strengthening Google's position (while still keeping an arm's length on Nest) in connected home devices. Expect more of this.