Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC (countdown in your timezone)
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- AirMozilla: for broadcast and saved recordings
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- 1 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- 2 Firefox Desktop & Platform (Javaun/Chad/Martin)
- 3 Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
- 4 Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
- 5 Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
- 6 User Experience Research (Bill)
- 7 Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
- 8 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction (Arcadio)
- 9 Questions, Comments, FYI
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- Firefox 33 released yesterday! \o/
- bug 1083071 has been identified and will need to be addressed, may or may not require a point release
- Firefox 34 beta1 ships tomorrow
- Firefox 35 Aurora updates should be reenabled on Friday
Firefox Desktop & Platform (Javaun/Chad/Martin)
Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
Work In Progress
- Hot items at the moment
- Privacy Coach add-on
- Second Screen (bug 1054959 bug 1079769)
- Tablet Refresh
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
Uplifts from the past week (Prior to Merge/Release)
- crash in mozilla::gfx::AlphaBoxBlur::Blur(unsigned char*) ( Bug 1028802 )
- Crash at android.os.TransactionTooLargeException: at android.os.BinderProxy.transact(Native Method) at org.mozilla.gecko.PromptService.show(PromptService.java) ( Bug 1048387 )
- crash in java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: android.graphics.Bitmap.getByteCount at org.mozilla.gecko.preferences.LocaleListPreference$CharacterValidator.getPixels(LocaleListPreference.java) ( Bug 1049217 )
- Handle HomeFragment deletions by panel/type instead of universally ( Bug 1062257 )
- crash in mozilla::gfx::SourceSurfaceAlignedRawData::InitWithStride(mozilla::gfx::IntSizeTyped<mozilla::gfx::UnknownUnits> const&, mozilla::gfx::SurfaceFormat, int, bool) ( Bug 1067018 )
- Startup crash due to some Facebook-related intent extras ( Bug 1077645 )
- crash in java.lang.RuntimeException: Parcel android.os.Parcel@<addr>: Unmarshalling unknown type code 4522062 at offset 736 at android.os.Parcel.readValue(Parcel.java) ( Bug 1079876 )
- Graphic buffer garbage shown ( Bug 1006797 )
- crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: No current media session at com.google.android.gms.internal.gp.dV(Unknown Source) ( Bug 1055764 )
- Launching Firefox for the first time through an external intent should not display First Run experience ( Bug 1059792 )
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$2.onConnected(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1061032 )
- "Learn More" link for the Mozilla Location Service is visible on Beta/Release despite MLS setting not available ( Bug 1063518 )
Landings from the past week (Prior to Merge/Release)
- Bottom divider is lost in Reading List ( Bug 919748 )
- Disable downloads and extension installs in guest mode ( Bug 1046941 )
- Clearing private data on exit: "Always clear when quitting" often cropped/truncated in localizations, provide more space ( Bug 1048433 )
- Performing searches with Wikipedia search engine immediately launches Fennec ( Bug 1063193 )
- Feature other recommended add-ons in "Firefox Privacy Coach" add-on ( Bug 1064926 )
- Warn user if a search query or isn't going over https ( Bug 1064998 )
- HTML5 video playback is not paused in the browser after opening in external player (open with app) ( Bug 1071831 )
- 'Set image as' option does not work when /mnt/sdcard/DCIM is missing ( Bug 1072978 )
- Error bulk-inserting default favicons - android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConstraintException: PRIMARY KEY must be unique (code 19) @ android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.nativeExecuteForLastInsertedRowId(Native Method) ( Bug 1074340 )
- Guest Mode notification persists on browser close ( Bug 1074343 )
- Disable import from Android in Guest mode ( Bug 1074496 )
- Error message for blocked downloads is wrong ( Bug 1074505 )
- Tinted status bar visible during full-screen video ( Bug 1074924 )
- Tapping on URL bar does not dismiss the tabs tray ( Bug 1076692 )
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.search.SearchWidget.addView(SearchWidget.java) ( Bug 1078182 )
- Android builds are going to burn when Gecko 35 merges to Beta ( Bug 1079629 )
- Let search activity ride the trains ( Bug 1081249 )
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: key == null at java.util.EnumMap.putImpl(EnumMap.java) ( Bug 1081948 )
Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
<Read Only> because ZOMG 2015 planning
- Lots of furious action over in the gum twig
- uplift to Aurora happened, including our most-requested feature from uservoice!
Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
User Experience Research (Bill)
- Analysis on for Forget button user research study.
- Planning for user research study into context of multi-screen, multi-device task continuity.
- Investigating improvements to user perception of performance.
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
Marketing and PR
=== Silent Update ===
- Launched Humble Bundle asm.js indie games campaign: https://www.humblebundle.com/
- Play On!
- October 14 - October 28
- Supporting with snippet channel and social
- Voxatron playable snippet: https://snippets.allizom.org/show/49/
- Rotating cards: https://snippets.allizom.org/show/50/
- Voxatron drawing: https://snippets.allizom.org/show/55/
- FTL animation: https://snippets.allizom.org/show/54/
- Firefox for Android product page redesign launching October 29
- I've been playing with the intarweebs as a job for more than twenty years. Holy crap.
- Yandex drops a newer version of its Webkit-based browser, which takes minimalism in browser UI farther, and includes their version tiles.
- Opera's released rich bookmarks, which provide image previews of bookmarked sites. Moar tiles!
- Google also announced a new Nexus competitor to the Apple TV, which combines an Android TV device with a games console and some other stuff. Best part is that when it becomes obsolete, you can play hockey with it.
- Per messaging that people may have seen, Google's uncovered a flaw with SSL 3 that's leading to them disabling SSL in Chrome in favor of TLS, and we have an advisory and workaround as well. SSL3 is not used in many places, but it's still used in server pools esp. in subdomains, so something to be aware of.
- Expect new iPads on Thursday, and possibly some retina upgrades (and maybe even a new mini). While the new tablets will be faster and have a couple new features (e.g. fingerprint reader and possibly Pay compatibility), tablet sales continue to fall amidst a refresh cycle that is much shorter than expected (iPad 2 is still the market leader in iPads), while notebook sales are regaining ground.
- Internet ad spend in the UK continues to increase, while anything other than Internet declines. This is a trend seen outside the UK as well, with the interesting bit being that as mobile increases, desktop does not decrease an equivalent amount, but other spend areas are in decline.
- Related, mobile (phones & tablets) search traffic continues to increase. Perhaps surprisingly, the report shows Yahoo! Search having the largest percentage (44%) of mobile traffic, followed by Google (39%) and Bing (27%). Of note is the conversions for ads in search, which still sees desktop accounting for the lion's share (~75%).
- Apple Pay is expected to launch this week following the Apple event on the 16th. Adoption of the service by users and merchants will be something to watch for.
- Google released a 64-bit Android L emulator last week. You'll need an x64-capable desktop for it to work.
- Microsoft releases a keyboard of sorts for Androi Wear. Interesting mainly because Microsoft, but also because it might make typing a text message on a wearable somewhat less painful than gouging your eyes out with a rusty spoon.
- The folks behind the "Blackphone" are also working on a tablet.
- iOS 8 adoption rates have slowed pretty dramatically, which wasn't unexpected given the size of the 4S's market share and iOS 8's performance there, as well as less-than-stellar response to a number of changes to iOS (like, you know, the Camera Roll).