Firefox/Projects/2010Q3 Dirty Startup Reduction
I would like to teach Firefox to startup fast with a non-clean profile.
- Project Lead: sdwilsh
- Dirty Profile Hunter: limi
Lots of data has been collected and analyzed, but no solid conclusions have shaken out.
- Ensure that startup time for a "dirty" profile in a profile with no add-ons or plugins installed/enabled is no worse than 20% of a clean profile's startup time on windows.
- Reduce startup time for a clean profile.
- Fix this for every possible dirty profile.
- Fix any startup issue caused by add-ons.
Timeline / Milestones
- Establish a few reproducible "dirty" profiles with add-ons and plugins uninstalled or disabled (limi). [dirty profiles have been collected]
- Get an idea of what slows us down on dirty profiles (sdwilsh). [blog post of results]
- Look at collected dirty profiles and see if any other trends shake out (sdwilsh). [blog post of results]
- See if add-ons are a major factor (sdwilsh) [ETA 9/2]
These are the bugs of interest:
|bug 572223 - too much cookie I/O
|bug 582005 - Session Restore negatively impacts startup time based on the number of tabs loaded
|bug 416330 - Suboptimal SQLite page size
|bug 541373 - Provide a global VACUUM component
- A plan must be complete and work under way by the end of Q3 2010.
None at the moment.
Some performance benchmark will be created. Behavioral changes are covered by our automated test harness.
Anything related to startup time reduction has potential.