Compile a detailed timeline of Firefox startup to help identify major contributors to startup time.
- Project Lead: vlad
- Contributors: ehsan, sdwilsh, johnath
IN FLIGHT - Producing reasonably complete timelines now, beginning to identify components, ensuring that our timelines are representative.
- Identify major components of startup time
- Use timeline as a motivational element in getting major startup components re-assessed, driving existing work through to completion.
- Producing exhaustive execution traces
- Replacing performance test frameworks like Ts
Timeline / Milestones
- Produce timelines: April 23
- This took longer than hoped, but we were producing timelines by April 30
- Produce analysis of major startup components: May 1
- This work is underway, targeting May 7
These are the bugs of interest:
|bug 560647 - Startup timeline instrumentation||vlad/sdwilsh/ehsan (mostly ehsan, right now)||largely complete|
|bug 480735 - Startup timeline (functiontimer support)||vlad||resolved|
We have identified the following significant contributions to startup time thus far:
- Waiting on jar i/o before loading browser.xul (~500ms)
- Reflows of browser.xul (~200ms)
- Monkeying around with hiddenWindow (???ms)
- Post-load Places lag on large DBs (intermittent, but potentially enormous)
Still need to assess for startup impact:
* Extension manager * Session restore