This project will remove the statusbar from Firefox and accommodate the features currently located there, namely loading status, URL location information, and add-on access.
BOARDING INFANTS & PEOPLE WHO NEED EXTRA TIME (starting)
- Simplify the Firefox interface
- Move all browser functions (other than window resize) away from the bottom of the window
- Provide prime, accessible UI real-estate to add-on authors who currently use the status bar
- Give users a clear indication of the status of their page
- Gives users a clear indication of where a link will lead them
Dates in the future are only estimates.
- 2010/03 - Start sprint, research, begin sketching solutions
- 2010/03 - Talk to AMO team and add-ons developers about needs
- 2010/03 - Test potential perf impact on awesomebar searches
- 2010/?? - Integrate the required ICU components with our tree, build system
- 2010/?? - Integrate awesomebar with SQLite's fts extension using ICU tokenizer
- Testing to make sure awesomebar functionality and certainly perf is not regressed.
- Have to convince people that pulling in parts of ICU is worth it. Expect pushback...
- Since this project is broadly defined -- improving FTS all the way to using FTS in the awesomebar -- none?
- Will require manual testing of the awesomebar.
- Maybe we can set up some automated harness to time awesomebar searches.