We strand some hundreds of thousands of users on each point release - people who don't come along with subsequent security updates.
We should understand why that is.
We have preliminary data from metrics, still looking for eye opening trends.
- Are these users significantly different than our overall user base?
- All mac users?
- All europeans?
- All occasional users?
- Why do certain versions have half, or twice, the overall "strand rate"?
- Is it a function of release lifetime?
- Is the lack of update a deliberate choice or a technological limitation?
- Compare AUS and Blocklist to gauge "intentionality"
- How much can be attributed to third party distributors (e.g. Linux distros) that have their own release cycle?
- Talk with Metrics
- Figure out as much as we can from the existing AUS/Blocklist data
- Figure out what additional telemetry we could send/surveys we could run to help understand the rest
- Project Lead: ss
- None yet
- Understand why users are being stranded
- Help them not be stranded any more