Reporting Crashes, Freezes and Flash/Focus Problems with Firefox 2 on Intel Macs
There have been a reports Firefox 2 on Intel Macs crashing frequently and freezing often. Additionally, there have been some Flash problems reported.
Unlike PPC-based Mac, there is no Talkback on Intel-based Macs.
Instead, the Apple Crash report program should launch in the event of application crashes. Please use bugzilla to log a bug with your crash report, or send your crash reports to us firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is an example crash report.
If you get a freeze, please use "Activity Monitor" to sample the process. Please use bugzilla to log a bug with your sample data, or send your sample data to us email@example.com. Here is an example sample data.
Activity Monitor can be found in the "Applications" folder, in the Utilities" folder. Select the unresponsive firefox process, click "Inspect" and then click "Sample" to sample a Firefox process that is frozen.
Please also let us know:
- OS Version, example: 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)
- System Details, example: MacBookPro, Intel Core Duo, 1.83 GHz, 2 GB RAM
- Extensions, examples: FoxyTunes 2.0.4, MozCC 2.2.2, etc
- Plugin details from about:plugins
- Flash steals focus and you're unable to type in an text areas, including the URL / location bar. bug #355071 (Update: fix landed, to be part of Fx 184.108.40.206)
Fixed Issues (for Fx 220.127.116.11)
- Firefox 2.0 often hangs in Intel Mac OS X 10.4.7, js_GC deadlock, (fixed by brendan for Fx 18.104.22.168), see bug 353962 (Update: some people still seeing freezes, looking for details or steps to reproduce_)
- Flash doesn't work on Intel Macs due to a stale pluginreg.dat from migration from PPC (fixed by josh for Fx 22.214.171.124), see bug 356694
- catch all bug (memory corruption, large .sqlite problems, flash problems, java problems...) bug 360859
- crash [@ nsCertVerificationThread::Run] nsCertVerificationThread.cpp:101, see bug 362564
For completeness, there was also a Mac OS X 10.3 PPC top crasher that will be fixed for Fx 126.96.36.199:
- crash when clicking on menubar while popup displayed (Mac OS X 10.3 only) [@ FadeMenuWindows], see bug 351230, fixed for Fx 188.8.131.52