From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

<< previous week | index | next week>>

Meeting Details

  • 11:00am PDT (18:00 UTC)
  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 866 216 2181
  • join #bonecho for attendance taking


  1. Bon Echo Alpha 2 (debrief)
  2. Bon Echo Alpha 3 Planning
    1. plan & schedule review
    2. blockers and pieces targeted
    3. set timings for branch closing and managed landings
  3. Development Roundtable
  4. Any other business

Bon Echo Alpha 2

  • yay, it shipped (eventually), and people seem to like it! but, there are some things we should try to learn from this milestone release process
    • last minute landings made the release management difficult
    • the trunk being closed didn't help, either
    • need to plan out larger landings in advance, not everyone can work to the same deadline
    • need to do Ts/Tp smoketests on your own machine before landing -- use a watch!

Bon Echo Alpha 3

  • major pieces: DOMStorage, JS Fast Load, SafeBrowsing, JS 1.7, NSIS windows installer
    • JS Fast Load is approved -- bombs away!
    • SafeBrowsing has a lot of performance regressions; mostly understood
    • having trouble getting stable numbers on local installs
    • would like to get it on trunk ASAP to try and understand the regressions before we move it to branch
    • shaver: is there a way to get it landed on a parallel branch so that we don't hose the trunk?
    • preed: tinderboxes are going down for migration tomorrow starting 10am PDT
    • preed: if you need another tinderbox set up before the migration starts, I might be able to do a little magic on argo
    • shaver: so that's what I propose; you land on a branch off of trunk and we'll convince preed to set up argo to build and do Ts/Tp tests there while the trunk is closed for the migration
    • tony: Ts should be down to about 6% on trunk right now; still have to optimize for preprocessing; we're expecting it to go lower, but are estimating conservative
    • darin: whatever works best is what we can work to
    • schrep: is the goal to optimize further?
    • tony: there is more to be had, and knowing the numbers will help me know where I should focus on
    • todo: create new branch (Places team), enable safe browsing on it (Places team), point argo at that branch (Preed)
    • beltzner: how we lookin' on DOM Storage
    • shaver: jst posted a rollup patch; someone should confirm and figure out when they can land it on trunk
    • todo: get in touch with jst and confirm that our targets are right (beltzner)
    • brendan: with shaver as my sheriff, I'm going to land some stuff on the trunk tonight (iterative generator and igor's patch), and then after that there are two new patches but they aren't affecting frequently run script tags (they're new features!), so I'm going to try and get it in next week
    • shaver: pick a day? Tuesday of next week? maybe Wednesday while the tree is tightly managed?
    • brendan: I worry about making a mess of the version space in terms of landing things too split out, the later in the week and I'll take what I can get. This is something new and needs to be shepherded. Focus will be on getting this onto trunk, and if it can happen, we'll make it happen.
    • schrep: we should focus on the critical path features (JS 1.7 is a nice to have) and take it if we can
    • brendan: we'll shoot for Wednesday
    • rob_strong: lots of strange effects of the old installer that I'm trying to understand, working through lots of old bugs
    • shaver: so are you saying we're at parity and you're fixing longstanding bugs?
    • rob_strong: that and some logging stuff that I need to do
    • schrep: are we OK with build config stuff?
    • rob_strong: when I checkin, yes; there's a few things left to do there, but I won't check in until I have it
    • darin: will the XPIinstall logfile work the same way? will this mess with update?
    • rob_strong: yeah, I took that into account, and will improve on it; I'm consolidating it into a single logfile instead of having multiple entries
    • schrep: no BS assessment of when you might be ready?
    • rob_strong: looking towards the end of this week, and I'm being very cautious
    • axel: can you get to me with any l10n impact coming out of these changes?
  • other pieces: UndoCloseTab (?), TabOverflow (?), add your proposals here!
    • dietrich: should have a patch for UndoCloseTab in a couple of days; have it working, just need to clean up some of the string
    • schrep: any possible performance impact?
    • dietrich: nope, uses existing session restore
    • dietrich: I'm also working on the session restore Ts regression, hoping to get some better testing after JS Fastload lands
    • mconnor: I have to figure out the UI binding stuff work for taboverflow
  • blocking bugs: blockers & nominations for alpha 3
  • proposed schedule
    • Friday, May 19th: SafeBrowsing, DOMStorage, NSIS Installer ready to land
    • Friday, May 19th: close tree & do managed landings
    • Saturday, May 20th: tree re-opens for module owner approvals over the weekend
    • Monday, May 22nd: close tree & do managed landings, tree is now locked down
    • Thursday, May 25th: freeze for Alpha 3 (noon PDT)
    • Friday, May 26th: ship Alpha 3
  • schrep: there is no Alpha 4; we had Alpha 3 for the P1s that we couldn't ship without. Those critical path features are the primary ones which everyone should be paying attention to for the next while, since pushing A3 back pushes our release date back further and further and we should avoid that at all costs.

Developer Roundtable

Please add any status updates from the past week, including links to relevant bugs, newsgroup discussions, etc:

Visual Refresh: Chrome Polish

  • walking through some end-to-end scenarios to find polish bugs for B1/B2
  • should have these filed early next week (will use [meta] keyword)

Visual Refresh: Theme Polish

  • final comps coming in from vendors next Monday; will prepare something for y'all to look at for next meeting!

Bookmarks and History: Places

User Experience: General & Tabbed Browsing

User Experience: Session Restore

User Experience: Spell Check

User Experience: Microsummaries

Feeds: Parser

Feeds: UI

Extension Manager: UI

Extension Manager: Blocklisting

Extension Manager: Locale Packs

Search: UI

  • jhughes: there seems to be some optimization available both in terms of design and integrating search results; is mconnor blocked on that?
  • beltzner: mconnor is blocked until after A3, so if you wanted to start investigating and posting to d-a-f, that'd be great
  • jhughes: the Google Suggests data format isn't likely to change for months

Search: Plugin Format

  • bug 327932 is at risk, and needs to be triaged
    • shaver: we have used this update system once before to save our asses, and likely will again!
    • mconnor was pretty sure we discussed this priority before, but even so, this needs to be revisited

Distribution: Installer

Distribution: EULA

Distribution: Channel Support

Infrastructure: Performance

Infrastructure: Platform Uplift

Infrastructure: Instrumentation

Security: Phishing

Security: SSL

User Documentation

Developer Documentation

  • JavaScript 1.7 doc is about 90% done, pending final details on a couple of topics and a review by Brendan and Graydon.
  • Firefox 2 for Developers - I'm still trying to gather information, will accelerate this week.


Other Business

  • beltzner: list of functional regressions (even if they could be thought of as bugfixes!) is probably needed