Gaia Weekly Meeting
- Date: 2015-05-26
- Meeting connection details: https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G#Meetings
- Host: Ben Francis
- Minutes copied to the wiki by host each week https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Meeting_Notes
Alternate Meeting Times:
- "Early" meetings: Tues 9:00am SF, Wed 12:00am Taipei
- "Late" meetings: Tues 6:00pm SF, Wed 9:00am Taipei
Recording of this meeting is available here https://vreplay.mozilla.com/replay/showRecordDetails.html?&recId=1912
Announcements & Notices
Add your workweeks, new hires, other announcements:
- [nhirata] QA is planning their work week and would like to invite devs to give feedback to QA in one of the sessions. The session is tentatively held at 1 pm @ Westin - Alpine A on Tuesday following the all hands.
- The purpose is to help revamp QA processes, tools, etc. to help align everyone on the same page whether they are in QA or not.
- for the rest of the tentative QA schedule please see : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M4NiwnCwLPN9uW3WQMjJwKTli-Tt2e-pBPu3QbmjJLk/edit?pli=1#gid=1404571960
- Opening more APIs - Proof of Concept (Antonio)
- Using navigator.connect as a way to access sensitive APIs in a secure way by hosted content.
- Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11uxil330ZlnBfauTyfol9bnvc2oXHXfwJ7YpgvkMsPk/edit#slide=id.p
- More detailed document:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dQyTRzGmVAGb3xJsN3ZU1mntAwa-6wHt6YGijs9QaRo/edit
- Pinning the Web - Proof of Concept (Ben)
- An experimental UI which removes the artificial distinction between web apps and web sites and allows you to pin any web site or web page to your device, in a novel new way.
- Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17CGWPwu59GB7miyY1ErTjr4Wb-kS-rM7dB3MAMVO9HU/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
- Demo Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLnRoRjD5k
- Source Code https://github.com/benfrancis/gaia/tree/pinning_the_web
- [djf] image decoding changes and image memory restrictions that affect 2.2. If your app can display many images using background-image, you may need to change it. (Contacts app?) See bug 1167336, for example.
Reporter: nhirata [read only]
- MC : Yellow : (2/5) since friday: Last Good build: 20150521142045
- severe issues (nonblocking):
- Phone calls are broken on automation: Bug 1168289 - Plivo account balance is insufficient to make a call.
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1162535 Major memory usage regressions in v3.0
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1155854 [Window Management][Edge Gesture] Edge gesturing quickly can cause icon screen to vertically draw and cause apps to force close
- Lmk is too aggressive, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1081577
- https://bugzil.la/1126260 Outgoing/Incoming call fails intermittently
- severe issues (nonblocking):
- 2-2 : https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/QA/2.2
- 2.2/3.0/General : https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/QA/Meetings/2015-05-20
Gaia Architecture Work
- Telemetry library
- Web app bridge (threads.js)
- Stuck trying to identify why postMessage/BroadcastChannel is slow during startup. - Help needed with profiling Gaia apps please! :) - Tried B2G/profile.sh with pvt-eng build but fails - Trying to build B2G manually with MOZ_PROFILING=1, currently in VM world of pain.
- Service workers
- Tried different ways to communicate with SW, so far we realised that the best method is using http verbs, since they wake up the sw if it's dead. - Make some test to try the different caches system, in this case we tried successfully the custom cache. - Working on bugs and improvements on the library. - app:// protocol supported now in SW, but we found some bugs. - about:sw on settings app
- SMS app conversion: will send a mail later today
- Music app conversion
- Contacts app conversion (prototype)
- Moving views from Contacts App, now we can switch from one set of views to the other using a common service exposed in Threads.js! . This will be useful when applying CustomCache. - This week we will be adding RenderCache (SW) to our prototype 
Talking this week: Updates: No update.
Talking this week: The team: evelyn, gchen, rexlee, johnhu, lchang, tzu-lin, shermanchen, yifan, seanlee, songchiu Updates: No update.
Media front end
Talking this week: no update this week Our team: dhylands, djf, jporter, hkoka, dkuo, dmarcos, wilsonpage, justindarc, pdahiya, rnicoletti, hub; Product: swilkes; Ux: amlee, tshakespeare, jsavory, hnguyen; EPM: mtreese QA: npark Updates: No update.
Talking this week: Sprint tracking wiki: Notes: Updates: Calendar working on refactors. Email working on conversations, UX discussions/progress shown in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1161652
Talking this week: The team: Updates: No update.
Systems front end
Talking this week: The team: cserran, gwagner, qdot, michael h, aus, alexandr, francis, jason, pdol, benfrancis, daleharvey, gmarty, sfoster, naoki, tef, tedders1 Updates:
- Pinning the Web prototype
- Driving down 2.2 blockers for Code Complete
- Some refactoring of status bar, homescreen and task manager & work on Spark
- WebSpeech API landing in gecko: Bug 1051148
* UX design underway. Starting to work on gaia integration next week. e.g. making a call: https://mozilla.app.box.com/s/33s7165ackbrvnu55o82gihdd5evh3u0