Gaia Weekly Meeting
- Date: 2015-08-18
- Meeting connection details: https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G#Meetings
- Host: Ben
- Minutes copied to the wiki by host each week https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Meeting_Notes
Alternate Meeting Times:
- "TPE/EU" meeting time: Tuesdays 02:00 Pacific
- "EU/US" meeting time: Tuesdays 9:00 Pacific
Announcements & Notices
- [mhenretty] New add-on format landed, please update your add-ons if they are in Hackerplace
- Overview of NGA update given in last meeting
- Watch the videos!
Reporter: No update.
Gaia Architecture Work
- Telemetry library
- 1177226 -- Performance Timings. Landed
- 1183101 -- Bulk of the telemetry system. Gecko (r+), Gaia (r+). Landing soon
- 1176992 -- Custom Histograms. Gaia (r+ from one review. need peer review after 1183101), Gecko(f?)
- 1190622 --Landed.
- 1177099 -- Payload compression -- in progress.
- Web app bridge
- Service workers
- Patch ready for raptor to be able to fetch performance information coming fro sw.
- SMS app conversion
- in bug 1169576 Oleg is working on fetching threads at startup. This is complicated for a lot of reasons:
- we're using mozAPIs for this, and mozAPIs need a window. Right now we're using an iframe for this, but there is a plan to have a hidden window instead (but this is really slow right now, bug 1192193 is tracking this)
- at startup we want to be as fast as possible. Yet the initialization of workers and the iframe takes time as well.
- each thread information need to go through 2 communication channels: mozAPI iframe -> worker -> main app window. We'll likely need to implement a fastpath here, at least for v2.5. Longer term we want to take advantage of a DB in the worker and/or the service worker's render cache.
- in bug 1184865 it's quite similar except it's for a service we don't use at startup, so the performance figures are less important and we'll likely be able to land this soon.
- bug 1167144 landed today, that will help us moving forward using services in the Conversation panel.
- Music app conversion
- Contacts app conversiontam
- Stabilization of the work done separating the views, almost ready to land.
- Data Sync
- we're working on the client code for FxSync, see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_OS_Data_Sync
Talking this week: djf
- Red Tai and Red Square are going to be developed in the 2.2r branch
- All feature-phone apps will be in dedicated directories, just as the smart TV apps are
- We will not be asking core smartphone app owners to land code to support feature phones.
- I may need to ask app owners for advice and guidance, but I hope to not have to ask anyone to actually do work on the feature phone.
- I think (but cannot promise) that Red Square will not need support from core Gaia developers until 2016, and if we do need to form a bigger internal team, it will mean that the project is succeeding in the way that BD is hoping it will, that we have multiple launch partners, and planned launches an order of magnitude bigger than what we've done so far.
Talking this week: Updates: See NGA.
Talking this week: The team: evelyn, rexlee, johnhu, lchang, tzu-lin, yifan, seanlee; UX: tori; Product: Joe; EPM: Josh Updates: No update.
Media front end
Talking this week: Our team: dhylands, djf, jporter, hkoka, dmarcos, wilsonpage, justindarc, rnicoletti, hub, aosmond; Product: ? Ux: amlee, tshakespeare, jsavory, hnguyen; EPM: mtreese QA: npark Updates:
- No big updates; Team focused on blocker bugs for 2.5 and music app conversion work
- Our long-time contractor Punam Dahiya has moved on to a new job
Talking this week: Sprint tracking wiki: Notes: Updates:
Talking this week: timdream, steveck, evenxd, gasolin, snowmantw, rickychien The team: Updates:
Systems front end
Talking this week: The team: cserran, gwagner, qdot, michael h, aus, alexandr, francis, jason, pdol, benfrancis, daleharvey, gmarty, sfoster, naoki, tef, tedders1, cwiiis Updates:
- User testing planning for Pin the Web started
- Pin the Web spec changes coming to accommodate Tracking Protection features, will be finalised by sprint planning on Monday
- Pin site via site icon
- Pin page via browser overflow menu
- Late Customization update (sfoster)
- Task Manager update (sfoster)
- RTL update
- New homescreen (chris)