2012-08-10 workshop on how to edit wikis. One of many Mozilla Events.
Archived from: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/How-to-wiki-2012-08-10
- Tantek Çelik (@t)
- Will Barkis (@willbarkis)
- Jeff Hammel (:jhammel)
- Diane Bisgeier (@tbiz)
- Hal Wine (:hwine)
Line Numbers & colors are an option under "Pad Options"
Big picture: How to collaborate most effectively?
- Email vs wiki vs etherpad
- Email is old.
- Wiki is focusing; more intentional.
Q: When to use Etherpad and when to use the wiki?
A: Is it real-time or not? Sync = etherpad; asynch = wiki. Etherpad is WAY better for real-time. Good for scratch pads. Wiki is better for asynchronous.You can do more with a wiki. Higher fidelity. Easier to link to. Currently, wiki's are webcrawled; etherpads are not. But assume that etherpads will in the future.
One process: etherpad real-time -> move to wiki later (It would be awesome to be able to do this automagically - jhammel) we go back and forth a bit, it's not too bad as long as you don't use rich formatting in etherpad - just a copy/paste
Q: why dashes in URLs? instead of spaces or underscores?
- A1: dashes are slightly better than underscores for SEO. also you don't have to hit the shift key (faster to type)
- A2: ... better than spaces because spaces break auto-linkers. when you copy/paste URLs to email / IM / IRC, those mediums autolink the URLs, which break them at spaces.
- A3: avoid colons ":" in URLs also because it breaks in common linux terminals
Q: Why is Etherpad better than Google Docs?
- A1: The Text line feature (see the left side of the window) is very useful for directing people, like when on a call.
- A2: The colors are useful to see who is editing what.
- Tantek's soap box: Rich editing doesn't work. Not interoperable.
- Asterisk space is converted into bullets.
- Double brackets is turned into wiki link in HTML.
Single bracket followed by one space leads to non-wiki site eg.
[[link | link text]]
Q: Why MediaWiki as opposed to any other kind of wiki?
- A: MediaWiki probably the most known interface. So by editing the Mozilla Wiki you're learning to edit wikipedia.
- DevMo uses Kuma
Editing a user page
Cleaning up spam/spammers
- edit -> blank
- comment: "blanked due to spam, block this account"
Add hCard - http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard
- HTML version of a vcard
- Go to https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Jhammel
- Also like cool vcard downloader -- see Jhammel wiki page, too.
Go install the Operator firefox add-on
- http://microformats.org/code/hcard/creator <== if you forget format
- Q: Any comment on Semantic Watchlist?
- A: I haven't found this to be of any use. - Tantek