< MDN | Archives | Community meetings | 2012
The MDN community meeting takes place in the #devmo channel on irc.mozilla.org at 10 AM PDT. It's open to anyone that would like to participate, so please feel free to join in!
- (teoli) Report from MozCamp EU
- Met a lot of MDN people: BYK, Jeremie, David, and much more.
- Did a few demos and got a few new editors.
- As we didn't have a talk we were less visible
- Volunteers are much more used by the different parts of the projects: Reps are in numerous SIG, volunteers are asked to help testing, translating a lot of things.
- They are quite busy: small locales are completely swamped.
- We should focus in growing in big locale (en-US; fr, es, cn, ja but maybe also ar).
- Easier to foster interest once we have already a few editors in a language.
- Globally, there were more call for action from MoCo member -> volunteers than last year, and less volunteers showing what they do with our technology.
- Great time and fun. A very very busy week-end.
- (jms) BrazilJS Hack Day/Translation session
- Mozilla had a booth and three speakers at BrazilJS.
- The following day, we held a hack day and translation session. There were about 12 people in the translation room. We got 9 articles translated into Portuguese.
- A few people who were there to hack told me that they would work on translation in the future, like "when I look something up in MDN, then I'll translate it."
- Jaydson Gomes, who is one of the organizers of BrazilJS, volunteered to take charge of getting people to translate JS pages. There is a regular hack night called "Code n Bier" where he's going to do a lightning talk on translating MDN.
- We had a handout at the hack day about how to use MDN, in Portuguese. I put it onto MDN in the pt-BR section: https://developer.mozilla.org/pt-BR/docs/Projeto:Como_ajudar_com_MDN
- (jms) Getting ready for DocSprint: London
- (sheppy) Jen Zickerman (formerly of Mozilla Messaging) is joining the MDN docs staff next Wednesday, part-time. The current plan is for her to focus on Firefox documentation.
- (sheppy) Need a topic driver for WebRTC.
- Let's encourage localization communities to create community pages under https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Project:Localization_Projects
- And let's put the English version of our localization handout from BrazilJS up on MDN in a form ready for translation by communities, to use at events.
- (sheppy) Doc tracker
- Need to try to add support for Github issues, so we can track Boot to Gecko and the like.
- (sheppy) Kuma status report
- (jms) Brainstorm about community metrics: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/MDN-Community-metrics
- (teoli) We need input on syncing (or not) breadcrumbs between different locales (Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=788823 )
- (sheppy) Our RSS feeds are sort of a mess right now. Some fixes are forthcoming, but we plan to refocus on a revisions dashboard feature for various reasons. See bug 773323 for details and mockups.
- (sheppy) Wiki Wednesday
- Discussing with the MDN dev team code that needs to be written in order to resume Wiki Wednesdays.
- (jms) State of the Docs
- Scott Rowe from Google will be getting some help from Dave Gash (dgash). Welcome, Dave!