The MDN community meeting takes place in the #mdn channel on irc.mozilla.org at 10 AM PDT (18:00 UTC). See the meeting time in your time zone.
- Since lots of people lurk in #mdn, if you're actively attending the meeting please speak up and introduce yourself.
- Janet will give feedback to Ali on her blog post and work together to get it published. (Feedback given, need to publish)
Note items here that you want to be sure the community is aware of. We won't rehash what's listed here, but may raise and discuss questions about these items.
- New CKEditor is live on the staging server for testing. Please give it a go and report any problems you find. Keep in mind that our goal is functionality and stability right now. We'll get to improvements to workflow later. Just make sure nothing breaks usability.
- "Mozlandia" outcomes: MDN 2015 strategic plan (request access); Key initiatives:
- Grow and maintain MDN: Keep doing what we're doing, only more and better.
- MDN services: Services for web developers, including Web Compatibility (underway) and Security Audit.
- Developer campaign and event: includes content support for local developer communities, and a "big" MDN/Mozilla-branded conference for web developers.
Topics for Discussion
Are you facing a challenge with something related to MDN, or need help from others in the community? Please bring it up for discussion.
Spamming on MDN - ongoing, continuous. Spammers are overwriting existing MDN pages and creating new ones. Current measures are not able to control the attacks, so we are looking at ways to improve spam management. Spam attacks take place from roughly 00:00 UTC to 16:00:00 UTC (4pm to 8am Pacific, ~8am-midnight China/South Asia, 5:30 am - 9:30pm IST)
- Manually monitoring the MDN revision dashboard https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/dashboards/revisions and manually banning users and deleting spam content pages.
- Added link to Terms of Service to footer and account creation: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/legal/terms/mozilla/
- Capture the IP address any particular contribution came from and display it in admin. hide this feature behind a waffle flag so we can turn it off when a wave of spam ends. erase IPs after 30 days. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1110904
Anything else we need to discuss synchronously?
- Next meeting will be Jan 7 instead of December 31
- Please add any MDN meetings or events to the MDN Public calendar (or ask a staff member to add it).
- MDN 10th anniversary? Bring your ideas for how to celebrate to the Jan 7 community meeting.