Mobile/Fennec/Android/Updating search engine icons
To update the search engine icons that appear in the
- Get the highest resolution version of the asset. Currently, we use xxhdpi.
- Losslessly compress the asset – for example, use ImageOptim on OS X or trimage on Linux.
- Convert the image to base64 encoding. On OS X, I use the
base64 <file> | pbcopy
- Open the XML file of the asset you'd like to update. The search engine icons are located in
- Replace the base64 encoded asset with the new one. This is the text after
<Image width="16" height="16">data:image/png;base64,and before
</Image>. Be sure to keep the comma after base64! Note also that the width & height values do not change – these are legacy values and do not affect the final size of the asset.
- Test it!