- Wednesdays - 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 99998
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 99998
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room
- Next merge is Week of 2013-01-06
- Fx18 Beta 3 shipped
Major Topics for This Week
- Over 20 million total installs, >100K 5-star reviews and solid 4.1 rating. Yay team!
- Tabs Tray UI Plans
- We have a bunch of new work that will start on updating parts of the tabs tray UI on tablets and phones (bug 817675). The initial parts are tied into some of the Private Browsing work and will land on m-c as part of Fx20. Other parts will likely start work on a "twig" (cypress) and be merged back when it's ready, which will likely be Fx21.
- UI Overdraw Problems & Layout Complexity
- Using some guidance from an Android dev, we are working on reducing "overdraw" in the UI. This should improve responsiveness and animation performance. We'll also be taking this opportunity to try to simplify our layout complexity, which also adds to the responsiveness and animation problems.
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
- This week / Last week
- Bugs (800838, 789271, 746998, 747323, 786996)
- B2G profiling
- Dec 5 - Dec 12
- bug 780831 - (in progress) tracked down the problem with flash leaking local refs, working on fixes
- started profiling galaxy q, had a few profiler fixes: https://github.com/bgirard/Gecko-Profiler-Addon/pull/37
- bug 805353 - fix crash caused by improper synchronization
- bug 820172 - fix android build when building with gcc 4.6
- closed out bug 792144 after discussing with :dvander
- bug 818060 - (in progress) adding a memory reporter for graphics textures
- bug 816164 - (in progress) verified that the server-side changes are ok on staging server
- bug 820556 - remove some dead gfx code
- bug 820546 - don't preprocess some files unnecessarily
- finish up bug 818060, bug 816164 and bug 780831
- get back to profiling to find and eliminate jni-related locking on the compositor thread
- Last week:
- Unit test support for webrtc: bug 811411
- bug 780867 Intermittent robocop TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | testNewTab | Checking tab closed
- bug 769524 Frequent robocop testSearchSuggestions | GeckoEventExpecter - blockForEvent timeout: SearchEngines:Data
- bug 781581 Intermittent testWebContentContextMenu | checking that awesome bar clicked
- bug 814278 Intermittent testThumbnails | Exception caught - java.lang.NullPointerException
- bug 819093 make mochitest-remote via adb broken
- bug 820322 Intermittent testHistoryTab | Exception caught - java.lang.NullPointerException
- bug 820336 Intermittent testWebContentContextMenu | checking that painted surface loaded - under investigation
- bug 770483 Intermittent Robocop testAboutPage | GeckoEventExpecter - blockForEvent timeout: Tab:Added - under investigation
- Finish off unit test support for webrtc
- Get back to robocop bugs
Chris Lord (cwiiis)
- Ongoing B2G keyboard work
- Past week:
- Fixed bug 818501 - Some composition spans are not displayed
- Added a test for bug 811755 - Holding backspace in a designMode editor repositions cursor
- Fixed bug 819073 - Keyboard stops working after going back from Awesomescreen when "Don't keep activities" is enabled
- Worked on bug 810821 - Tapping on url bar with Samsung Galaxy Note's II stylus doesn't have url text selected
- Worked on bug 818301 - make JimDB work with C++ unit tests
- Also bug 819052 - JimDB not usable for C++ Android unit tests when invoked manually
- More improvements to debugging C++ unit tests
- bug 809329 - Duplicate letters when Xperia pro keyboard has suggestions
- bug 815521 - SwiftKey colon long-press inserts colon and 'b' in URL bar for first instance of colon ("about:b")
- bug 818715 - Moving cursor handle in input field causes keyboard to lock up
- bug 816486 - First letter is capitalized in the URL bar when using Swype Keyboard on LG Slider
- bug 820750 - Intermittent test_bug430276.html | application crashed
- Last week:
- This week:
- bug 812650 android webdev wants to capture audio using mozGetUserMedia
- Bug 769919 - Intermittent testBookmark | bookmarks list has 4 children (the default bookmarks) - got 5, expected 4
- Bug 819070 - Going back from Awesomescreen opens additional tabs when "Don't keep activities" is enabled
- Bug 735399 - Only do session restore after a crash
- Bug 801646 - PBM - Tab opened from other private browse tabs should become a private browse one
- Bug 820576 - Search suggestion URLs should go directly to URL
- Bug 818065 - PBM - Make an about:privatebrowsing page
- Bug 795045 - Confine cursor positioning thumb control to edit box
- Refreshed the private browsing UI resources. bug 818071
- Prototype for new tabs-tray complete. http://cl.ly/image/2Q1K1M3K1225
- Blocked on UX designs.
- Trying to figure out the personas problem in 4.2.1
- A temporary solution is available -- will post a patch today.
- Next: Long list of persona related bugs for marketplace.
- Bug 809401 - Horoscopo app doesn't scroll properly as an App
- Investigated Bug 792077 - Fennec mulit-locale apk should contain only java, browser, and select toolkit strings. There is a startup slowdown with 42 locales in the apk.
- Bug 816875 - Add a "show controls" context menu item on videos with hidden controls
- Bug 808408 - Hide Virtual Keyboard when bookmarks list is opened
New patches in:
- Bug 681805 - [TABLETUI] Hide forward button when there is not forward shistory...
- Bug 783312 - Make top sites customizable on about:home
- Bug 797615 - Intermittent testHistoryTab, testBookmark, testHistory | PaintExpecter - blockUtilClear timeout (x3)
- bug 817526 - Rotating device while in awesome screen might break toolbar layout
- bug 800071 - Hide the quit menu item on ICS and greater versions
- Started the "Featured Bugs" experiment: http://lucasr.org/?p=3209
- Propose featured bugs & Track your mentored contributors in the etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/mobile-contrib
- Reader Mode on desktop Firefox reached functional level: http://msujaws.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/status-update-9-of-reader-mode-for-desktop-firefox/
- (In progress) New tab UI
- This will be developed in the "cypress" twig repo: http://hg.mozilla.org/projects/cypress
- More New tab UI
- Working on multi-touch support for the Gaia keyboard - bug 806540
- Organizing fx-team reading group - https://etherpad.mozilla.org/fxteam-reading
- Got help from Cwiiis and snorp re: Mobile Debugging/List elements. Thanks guys! I have been planning to create a bug to make a more robust form of this, but haven't yet created one.
- Looking into some font inflation bugs, specifically ones that we might be able to knock out in the next week or so (bug 757257, etc.). This might work toward fixing the ycombinator bug, but I'm not 100% sure yet.
- bug 803719 : Reflow on zoom needs to zoom in and snap to a piece of text - I'm blocked with a strange issue where it's not correctly identifying the DOMRange. I've been speaking with dbaron and blassey about this. I think that bug 654352 : Implement API for document.caretPositionFromPoint() will be of assistance here. I'm trying to get this resolved (there's currently an issue with it, and it had to be backed out). I think that the reflow-on-zoom bugs and this bug will likely use the same code behind the scenes.
- all x86 all the time
- Web compatibility
- Please dig into failures you see
- It is OKAY to fix a site or framework and submit a patch
- Disabling the Gecko prompt that appears after tapping a "sms:" so we go straight to the SMS app instead (bug 819554)
- Fix a JS error in NativeWindow.menu.add API (bug 820623)
- Skipping the "Allow" prompt when installing a lightweight theme (persona) from AMO (bug 820829)
- PTO for Monday and Tuesday
Planning all the things \o/
- MWC demo planning
- "Save for later" project planning
- "Multi-screen UX" project planning
- Setting some Firstrun UX goals with creative, UX, SUMO
- Brainstorming with UX team about WebRTC
- Visual Design work week in Toronto
- UX Team year in review session on friday
Also, Tab UI and PB UI
- Private Browsing - ongoing polish we'd like to see in Fx20
- bug 818071 Adjust title bar background to work with current icons and tab colour
- bug 818072 Back and forward button enabled / disabled states look reversed (could be related to previous bug)
- bug 818077 Avoid orange highlights when private browsing
- bug 818065 Make an about:privatebrowsing page
- bug 818067 Make entire awesomescreen dark when private browsing
- Tab refinements - meta bug 817675
- bug 817706 Add sections for normal, private and synced tabs
- bug 817721 Place tab tray on top in tablet portrait view
- bug 817728 Allow tab sidebar to be pinned open in landscape view
- bug 817732 Apply large tablet UI to smaller tablets like the Nexus 7
- bug 817735 Horizontal tab scrolling in landscape view for phones
- bug 817749 Phone - adjust tab title bar to help differentiate main menu from tab menu
- bug 818124 Create new tab transition (from tab tray)
- bug 817716 Add ability to close all tabs
- bug 817739 Add more information to synced tabs
- bug 701725 Enable the ability to undo a closed tab
- bug 718434 Visually denote new tabs that haven't been visited yet
- 10 open bugs tracking 18+ with no patches, http://goo.gl/u2SHR
- On release, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812881 is rising. Needs progress.
- Service now request in to get an 225 GPU Galaxy SIII
- On beta, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=780831 is #1 by far, has progress now.
Welcome to Roland Tanglao, the new Firefox for Android support lead!
Input is still down for the count, we are monitoring feedback by hand. Unfortunately this doesn't give us the ability to get as detailed reports as we'd like, but we haven't seen major or new issues cropping up. Major complaints remain the same as before, UX issues around Privacy, bookmarks, history, etc. Users want to edit the start page or have their own home page. Noticing alot of feedback of users not wanting to use the mobile version of the site, unfortunately not all of it is linked to a device so can't tell if it's mainly tablets or not.
Google Play is still trending up significantly, awesome work everyone :)
5 star 100,585
4 star 28,812
3 star 15,766
2 star 9,826
1 star 15,912
Reading more feedback flowing in, feedback has slowed to a crawl. No new problem devices, overall our ARMv6 rollout seems to be successful. If you have further requests around ARMv6, please ping Tyler, otherwise, while we will continue to monitor ARMv6 feedback, we won't specially focus on it until our next expansion.