- Wednesdays - 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 99998
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 99998
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room
- Next merge: 2014-09-02 (moved to Tuesday)
Topics for This Week
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.
- Theodore Kokkoris [:tgkokk] fixed bug 1052100 - Make updater respect mobile hotspot setting on Android
- Ben Curtis fixed bug 1046020 - Include URI port in token server audiences
- Ramasamy Gopalan fixed bug 1052026 - Add content description when creating action button in GeckoActionProvider
- Dominique Vincent fixed bug 1048418 - Paint flashing localizations need more space for text, gets cropped/truncated
- Rahul Parsani fixed bug 973727 - Unhide browser toolbar when reaching the end of the page
- Makoto Kato fixed bug 1049379 - Remove dangerous public destructor into mobile/android
- Eric Eedens fixed bug 1053208 - Settings button should look like a settings button
- Ethan Pransky wrote a patch for bug 1016613 - ViewStub RemoteTabsPanel (sadly it bounced and we decided to WONTFIX the bug)
- Vivek is working on bug 1007436 - Revamp visual design of about:feedback
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
Alan K. (ack)
* support * manual sync (sorted this out with UX team)
* Flame has trouble with ad-hoc mode, switching back to N4 until I figure out what the problem is
- Working on fixing BHR processing
- Also looking at GCC4.9/NDKv10 compatibility
- Lots of arguing related to Application Reputation download protection
- 929431 - Long delay before starting WebRTC session due to camera reinitialisation
- 1055670 - disable remote application reputation checks
- 1055675 - Build fixes for trace-malloc on Windows
Last week worked on:
- Started port of WebRTC OpengGL render code to Roku NDK.
- Addressed comments on bug 1045967 Allow WebRTC to be built as a standalone library.
- Continue port of WebRTC OpengGL render code to Roku NDK.
- Land bug 1048425 Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device.
- Continue to try and land standalone code.
- Investigate sending H.264 instead of VP8 video to standalone WebRTC.
- Unified image recompression with only one binary
- Streamed JPEG compression
- Add options (faster/better compression switch)
- Make intelligent compression depending on the source image and client
- Updated/Fixed MediaCodec Patch
- Posted Test APK
- Last Week!
- Get as much done on the MediaCodec Patch as Possible!
- rAc demo UI, bug 946022
- Promisifying some code (bug 1054537, bug 1055144)
- Namespacing Messaging.jsm, bug 1043633
- Looking into PDF.js support
- Uplifting chromecast code. Fixing crashers
- Working on landing error page widgets. bug 940453 - [meta] Improve the UX for error pages
- Toggle wifi
- Suggested spellings
- Lockscreen widget for guest mode work
- Other random assigned things
- Toolbar refresh
- bug 1010740 - Toolbar refinement - Change entry asset and tweak padding
- bug 1010741 - Toolbar refinement - Change text style in toolbar and search hint in about:home
- bug 1010739 - Toolbar refinement - Update curve shape to play better with Australis
- bug 1019035 - Rounded top-left corner on the toolbar while in display mode
- bug 1042804 - Refine about:home colors to be consistent with new toolbar style
- bug 1053884 - Change loading 'x' icon
- bug 1054264 - Show pressed state on edit mode's cancel button
- bug 1054319 - Consolidate UrlBar.ImageButton default width in style
- bug 1054343 - Draw toolbar shadow instead of using a view
- bug 1054268 - Show search icon in about:home
- bug 1054371 - Update tablet toolbar 'back' button to match new UI
- Tablet refresh
- (In progress) bug 1014987 - Display tabs horizontally
- (In progress) bug 1055576 - Factor out code to draw tab curves
- bug 1046200 - Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()
- bug 1047561 - Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
- bug 1053252 - Create different package name for larch so it can be installed beside Nightly
- More tablet refresh
- Wrap up toolbar refresh
- Addons kickoff meeting ( https://etherpad.mozilla.org/mobile-addons-2014 )
- Last review pass for onboarding (bug 1042809) - so much Android layouts, tiny screens D:
- Contextual hints
- Search activity bugs
- Home Feeds add-on improvements - bug 1046215
- You can test the latest version here: http://people.mozilla.org/~mleibovic/homefeeds.0.9.xpi (waiting on some locales before updating on AMO)
- Telemetry for search and settings - bug 1007523, bug 996753
- Improving settings - bug 965377
- Experimenting with Bing as the default search engine - bug 1049108
- 917970 - Large text on door-hanger for mixed content blocking on high DPI devices
- 1007523 - Add UI telemetry for managing search engines
- 1011470 - Remove panel picker logic
- 1043027 - Refine clear button hiding/showing
- 1043034 - Make search bar look more tappable in inactive state
- 1045655 - Focus search bar and open keyboard on launch
- 1048444 - Search activity displays private browsing searches from browser
- 1052563 - Refine interaction for exiting editing mode
- Browser toolbar refresh
- bug 1046203 - Change BrowserToolbar to use alternative layout when isNewTablet()
- bug 1001655 - Replace applicable Strings in test code with StringHelper references
- bug 1025546 - Support various image views in Hub panels
- Too busy with other things:
- bug 983437 - Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
- bug 989441 - Centralized documentation for writing tests
Spent most of my time this week on overlays stuff.
Tweaked frontend to match UX's new pretty pictures (a 'la)
Spent most time on backend stuff: developing a nice extensible API for methods of sharing things. This turned out to have far, far more edgecases than one might assume... Proper support for "Send to Firefox Sync" now mostly working (with devices appearing inline in the dialog instead of just launching the old handler): much nicer. Main obstacle reading list support (an unknown quantity at this point as it has yet to receive any real attention).
Largeish patch hopefully to be in review before Richard returns...
Plus the usual complement of little things:
- Reported bug 1054623,
- Spent some time investigating bug 977161, for it's complicating my overlays testing. Dropped for now, since it turned out to be nontrivial.
- Further investigations into free text indexing (bug 808872). Currently, it seems that limitations of SQLite will mandate duplication of url/title data on platforms with API < 11. This is because the virtual table providing free text indexing mandates copying the data on such platforms, and it is impossible to create a conventional index on a virtual table. As a result, you cannot have both free text indexing and a conventional index for a given column without duplication. More study needed...
- Complained about sync some more: bug 1054566
- Optimised the nine-patches: bug 1048683, broke the nine-patches: bug 1055598. Still no idea why that happened (anyone who feels they understand nine-patches is welcome to read the bug and tell me where I went wrong!)
- Android Eclipse support for Search Activity and Google Play Services:
- 1052889 - Make Android Eclipse generate R.java
- 1053494 - Android Eclipse support for Android v7 support libraries and Play Services
- Working on Remote Tabs home panel bug 1014994, first patches coming today
- More progress on the tab list although progress slowed a bit whilst transitioning from temp repo to Larch repo (https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-projects)
- Requested L3 commit access
- Trying hand at micro commits
- Spent some time working on CLI tools to automate some common tasks
- Carry on hacking tabs
- Learning hg - urgh (hginit.com)
- Back from PTO
- Pulling together second screen work
- Fixing some stuff:
- Last week
- This week
- bug 1035999 - Multiple prompts (notifications) about available app updates - landed
- bug 1026263 - Error writing default prefs during packaged web app installation - landed
- The runtime engineering team is hiring a Senior Web Runtime Engineer!
- http://eideticker.mozilla.org is back! (Select "Android" tab at top and "Galaxy Nexus".)
- So ... very ... close ... to landing stumbler in Fennec.
- Next up, MLS contribution opt-in: new UX, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1027078
- MozStumbler is getting close to a play store release, with the same codebase as fennec stumbler.
- Note:If you are working on a feature targeting anywhere up to 34, and it is not listed below already, please call it out to me.
- See Roadmap for more information, Meta bug details etc...
Firefox 32 (Beta) - Release: Sep 2, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v3 (bugfixes & polish + more add-ons)
- [ON TRACK] Suggested sites v1
- [ON TRACK] Contextual tips for users
- [ON TRACK] UI lang switching
- [ON TRACK] Synced tabs page as entry point into Firefox Accounts & Sync
- [ON TRACK] Add a Clear History control to the history panel
- [ON TRACK] Android Gamepad backend
- [ON TRACK] Support weighed snippets
- [AT RISK] Change default search engine in Nightly, Aurora & Beta to Bing
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s):Scottish Gaelic(gd), Fulah (ff), Armenian (hy-AM), Welsh (cy), Basque (eu), Icelandic (is)
Firefox 33 (Aurora) - Release: Oct 14, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Videocasting (Roku, Firefly, Chromecast)
- [AT RISK] Tab mirroring (Roku, Chromecast)
- [ON TRACK] Form auto-fill improvements - Backend
- [ON TRACK] OEM distro service
- [ON TRACK] Suggested sites v2(Distribution support & non-Mozilla suggested sites)
- [ON TRACK] Tabs updates and improvements
- [IN PROGRESS] Janus - Phase 1 (Client)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s):Aragonese (an), Kazakh (kk), Xhasa (xh), Frisian (fy-NL)
Firefox 34 (Nightly) - Release: Nov 25, 2014
- [PROPOSED] Search activity v1
- [IN PROGRESS] Fatfennec: Minifying JS
- [PROPOSED] Moz Stumbler
- [PROPOSED] Share handler overlay
- [PROPOSED] Improved "Send Tab to Device" Experience
- [PROPOSED] User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox
- [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements, native client-side work
- [PROPOSED] Reflow on zoom (double tap) by default
- [PROPOSED] Kindle-related fixes
- [PROPOSED] Hub add-on: speed-dial panel
- [PROPOSED] First-run tips
- [PROPOSED] Preferred web content language
- [PROPOSED] Tablets: tabbed browsing refresh v1
- [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v3