- Meta-bug to be filed
Users often use different services to share different sorts of things -- URLs, photos, videos, text-centric articles, etc. We would like Firefox to, over time, provide sensible defaults for Quickshare buttons for each of those contexts, so users can get even more value out of our Quickshare feature from the very beginning.
We also want it to be possible to set initial default services for the Quickshare buttons for each recognizable context, so users can set them however they like, localizers can set them to what makes sense for their locales, and partners can set them as makes sense for their distribution & promotions.
Use cases & user stories
- When I share a recognizable type of media or I share from a particular website, I want Firefox to make a note of that so Firefox can learn my sharing habits over time.
- When Firefox has established some sense of a pattern in my sharing habits, I want one of my Quickshare buttons to be populated with the service Firefox believes is most appropriate for the context I'm in so I will be able to take advantage of the Quickshare feature more often.
- When Firefox is deciding which service to use in each context, I want it to use a frecency algorithm rather than a straight frequency algorithm, so if I start using a new service it will more quickly bubble up and appear in my Quickshare contexts if I continue using it in the near term.
- As a user, I want the option of setting the default sharing services for each of the Quickshare contexts, so I can be sure that my preferred services are most readily available when I am sharing content through Firefox.
- When I have set a default service for one or more of my Quickshare contexts, I want those defaults to override any frecency algorithms, so I can customize my Quickshare feature to my own liking.
- As a localizer, I want the option of setting default sharing services for each of the Quickshare contexts, selected because of what makes sense in my locale.
- As a partner/EOM, I want the option of setting default sharing services for each of the Quickshare contexts, so I can promote some services in that real estate.
- Not handed off yet
- No user-perceptible performance degradation
- All goals are met
- All user stories are implemented & tested