OS X 10.7 support
|OS X 10.7 support|
|Release target||Firefox 16|
|Status note||Master feature page for Mac 10.7 support. See https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Lion-Bugs|
|Product manager||Asa Dotzler|
|Directly Responsible Individual||Alex Limi|
|QA lead||Vlad Ghetiu|
|UX lead||Alex Limi|
|Product marketing lead||`|
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=639707 "[10.7] add resume support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion"
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=714147 "Support Lion User Interface Preservation"
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=654350 "[10.7] Add Cmd+Opt+Q for "Quit and Discard Windows"
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
We should get our platform updated so it supports the new features of Mac OS X, and feels native to the OS. We want to support things like full-screen mode, the new scroll bars, etc.
This feature falls primarily in the Experience category (from the "Discover, Experience, and Connect" vision statement.)
2. Users & use cases
- Improved full-screen experience
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=678392 [10.7] Add support for swipe animation as in Safari
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=674373 [10.7] Support HiDPI mode on OS X Lion
Currently identified features that should probably be broken into separate feature pages:
- Full-screen mode button in the main window [DONE]
- The new conditional/disappearing scroll bars [IN PROGRESS]
- Gestures need to be re-mapped (Lion "steals" some of our existing ones)
- Resume support (possibly in place of session restore?) [NOT STARTED] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=639707 "[10.7] add resume support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion"
- Double tap zoom support (smart zoom) — I assume Fennec has something like this already
- Animate opening window [DONE]
- Better scrolling acceleration model, rubber "bounce" at the end
- Possibly look into sandboxing (security) for content process, decoding video, etc: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/9 — Electrolysis might already be handling this?
- HiDPI support (doubling of the icons and interface) [NOT STARTED] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=674373 ("[10.7] Support HiDPI mode on OS X Lion"
- Search tokens (for search engines and keywords)
- Ability to keep parts of the application in memory even when user shuts it down
We should also evaluate whether availability in the Mac App Store is important for adoption, if Apple ends up making that the default way to get software on the Mac. Note that there is already a feature page tracking the Mac App store integration.
Also see the Chromium issue about full screen mode to see some of the reasons why we can't just hook up our existing fullscreen implementation to the new button: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=74065&q=os%3DMac&sort=-modified&colspec=ID%20Stars%20Pri%20Area%20Feature%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Modified%20Owner%20Mstone%20OS
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
6. User experience design
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
Current bugs with [10.7] whiteboard entry: 10.7 bugs on file
Stage 4: Development
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
|Theme / Goal||Experience|
|Engineering team||Platform Integration|
Team status notes
|Security||sec-review-unnecessary||triaged on 2012.05.02|