Platform/2013-08-13

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


« previous week | index | next week »

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-08-13 - 11:00 am Pacific
  • Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
    • People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
    • SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Actions

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
Stability
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

  • 24.0b2 with QA, desktop will ship this afternoon
    • Will have l10n updates for Windows users (24.0b1 did not)
  • 23.0.1 goes to build this afternoon as well - shipping Friday if no issues
28 bugs (33 bugs last week)
60 bugs (62 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 69 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

Read only

  • WebIDL Windows dependencies are hopefully fixed now (bug 890744).
  • If you export the environment variable REBUILD_BUILD=1 when building, you'll see which dependencies are triggering rebuilds.
  • External projects imported into the tree are now built as part of the "external" tier rather than the "platform" tier. You may notice some directories not being built when they used to be built. This is why.

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Tree closure August 24th. Times TBD.

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

No update.

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

No update

App Tools (dtownsend)

No update

B2G Services (dougt)

Developer Tools (dcamp)

No update

DOM (jst/dougt)

No update.

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

  • The new Downloads back-end is on schedule to be enabled by the end of this week.

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

We are currently targeting the Fx26 (09-16) uplift to Aurora as the start of the metrofx rollout.

  • start ui moved to start tab
  • Switched from live thumbnails (-moz-element) to static (BrowserThumbnails) in the tab strip to improve smoothness of tab strip show/hide animation (bug 831440).
    • Also investigated using background thumbnail service in Metro but ran into problems with incomplete hidden window implementation (bug 850909).
  • lots of work on download ui landed
  • more polish and bug fixes

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Firefox OS Browser (blassey)

  • removed redundant yes string
  • fixed crash when going to about: pages
    • crash was from about: pages trying to access localization APIs which are chrome only. Need to fgigure out what to do around localizing about: pages bug 903690

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Mini workweek in Paris
      • We just started a new sprint
      • We sync with UX about 1.2 need, everything is ready now, developers and UX have ongoing discussions to answer last questions
      • We went through all koi? bugs
      • We started to prepare the 1.3 backlog
  • This Week
    • Continue working on 1.2 user stories and also on any 1.1/1.2 blocking bugs
  • Blockers
    • No blockers

Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Porting
      • To define the acceptance criteria of device porting.
      • Survey the diff between Android 4.2 & 4.3 as well as raise the risk on Graphic.
      • Survey for moving power manager from Gaia to Gecko - Bug 898707
      • Co-work with partner for simulating orientation from acceleration sensors for 1.1.0hd.
    • MTP
      • Study libMTP from Android OpenSource.
    • Bluetooth
      • HID
      • HFP for CDMA / HFP on Bluedroid
  • This Week
    • Continue the jobs
  • Blockers
    • None

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Team meetup in Vancouver
      • Went over media backlog and estimated user stories
      • Reviewed Ux draft specs for some of the user stories in the backlog
      • Quick Demos of the work done thus far for 1.2 user stories specifically, music status icon and music info/controls features - ping Dominic Kuo/Jim Porter if anyone is interested.
      • Evan Shapiro (intern) presented better performing Music app with playlists features (also on Air Mozilla) - https://air.mozilla.org/2013-intern-shapiro/
      • Planned our next sprint: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/886840
  • This Week
    • Continue working on 1.2 user stories and also on any 1.1/1.2 blocking bugs
  • Blockers
    • None

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

  • Updates
    • Calendar reference workloads mostly done, still waiting for v1-train investigation
    • Pictures for contacts reference workloads should land today
    • Continuing investigation into gecko FPS measurement improvements
    • Investigating contacts performance issues due to animations and continuous repaints
    • Investigating how we can take advantage of new integration test framework
    • Continuing to investigate startup performance regression between b2g18 and m-c.
    • Creating eideticker tool for interpreting noisy results
    • Added an eideticker test for call log scrolling (http://bit.ly/13xwZeC)

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

  • No big update this week. Last week was a continuation of previous work on Marionette/JS framework and the foundations of email notifications.
  • 1.2 sprint 2 ending this week -- planning for the next sprint happens on Wednesday.
  • As always, product/sprint backlog located at https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/867311

Firefox OS Radio/WIFI/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Bugs list, http://goo.gl/0qGqtN
  • Last week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
    • WAP Push, to implement the display function.
    • OMA CP, to implement the test AP.
    • NFC, to discuss the resposibilities with partners.
    • WPA-EAP, to show prompt for NSS.
    • WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches.
  • This week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
    • WAP Push, to verify the display function.
    • OMA CP, to verify the test AP.
    • NFC, to implement the NFC deamon for nexus 4.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches and implement test app.

Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

  • Update
    • Customization: Testing Framework landed. Working on integration tests.
    • Discussions about how do handle app customization without SIM card. Moving forward with flag which requires user enter SIM to complete first run (enabled by OEM on operator request)
    • Notifications: New API enabled on b2g. Regressions within browser app. Regular apps should work fine. Still working on closing, replacing notifications
    • Unify Permission Checks: Bug 904298
    • Done with 1.1 blockers.

Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Tablet: still planning eng work and schedule, no public info available yet.
  • 3rd-party keyboards framework: on-going, Gecko patch ready to land.
  • Simplified Chinese IME: on-going, still working on performance.
  • Gaia build script update: see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.gaia/Zb17PEbLYZg/YzVYFJBWGpYJ and discussion on dev-gaia.
    • Progress: will create individual bugs and invite people to work on it.
  • Window management update: partly done locally, need to figure out how to land piece by piece
  • qHD/WVGA: Visual is wrapping up v1.1hd work. qHD pending.
  • CDMA front-end support: on-going

GFX (milan)

Identity (jedp)

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

Layout (jet/dbaron)

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • WebVTT: new js parser integration should land this week.
  • Web Audio: MediaStreamAudioSourceNode/MediaElementAudioSourceNode landed. HRTF spatialization just about ready to land.
  • WebRTC/getUserMedia:
    • Lots of work on audio latency underway. Tracking windows-only latency regression in bug 901831
    • Audio quality regression bug 901527 in 23 will be resolved in 23.0.1 (fixed on aurora/beta/m-c).
  • Daala - coding party in MV Sept 30th to Oct 3rd -- if interested, contact Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • We now have an "about:networking" diagnostics page in nightly!
    • fairly basic but still useful: suggestions welcome
  • Appcache "Do you want to allow this page to store data?" prompt will be removed this week (bug 892488)
  • Good progress on HTTP/2 specification effort
    • Decided to make TLS a mandatory option for all HTTP 2 connections (tip of the hat to Edward Snowden)
  • HTTP cache rewrite: we need some help from someone who understands the deadlock detecter code

Performance (vladan)

Seceng (mmc)

  • bug 790923 - Kang (almost) landed secomp for b2g on inbound (initial part of sandboxing). More sandboxing to come.
  • bug 824652 - landed fix for crypto.generateCRMFRequest bypasses CSP (allows script execution from a string, without unsafe-eval)
  • bug 875456 - progress improving Mixed Content related messages in the webconsole, look for it sometime next week.
  • Working with Tor project to see if we can help minimize chance of another 0day scare like they just had. (probably: upstream some of their patches for tor browser bundle, get them back on trunk instead of ESR)

WebAPI (overholt)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

MemShrink (njn)

MemShrink progress, week 109–112.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week's OrangeFactor: 5.95 (Previous Week: 5.29).
  • 25 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Due to a metrics issue with ADI on Aug 8, we still don't have all data for the last days available on Socorro crash-stats and dependent places. Work on that is going on, all data we can have should be there soon.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From Today's Meeting

[1:57pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-08-13
[1:58pm] jjensen left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[1:58pm] • RyanVM waits for Ms2ger to spy in
[1:58pm] jjensen joined the chat room.
[1:59pm] lmandel: RyanVM: I updated the wiki with a correct bug # and that I have pinged people for help.
[1:59pm] ctalbert|afk is now known as ctalbert.
[1:59pm] Irina left the chat room. (Quit: Irina)
[2:01pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-08-13
[2:01pm] RyanVM: lmandel: wfm, nothing to add then 
[2:02pm] gerv left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:02pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] davidb joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] lsblakk: and now i sneak away for another meeting
[2:03pm] KaiRo: lmandel: I'll have a short voice update today for stability
[2:03pm] gps: I think air mozilla just croaked
[2:03pm] gps: it just came back
[2:04pm] gps: no audio on air mozilla
[2:04pm] joduinn: lmandel: ^^
[2:04pm] davidb left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:04pm] gps: i refreshed and still no audio
[2:04pm] lmandel: I pinged richard in #airmozilla
[2:05pm] joduinn: kk
[2:05pm] rstrong joined the chat room.
[2:05pm] mbest joined the chat room.
[2:05pm] mreavy left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:06pm] hwine|focus is now known as hwine|mtg.
[2:06pm] mreavy joined the chat room.
[2:07pm] catlee: really choppy here
[2:07pm] Pike: blassey: got the bug number for about: for me, or just CC me? so that I don't have to reload like crazy 
[2:08pm] blassey: sure
[2:08pm] blassey: Pike: looking through my bugmail now
[2:08pm] RyanVM: lmandel: one small verbal update for me in OF today
[2:08pm] blassey: Pike: bug 903690
[2:08pm] lmandel: RyanVM: OK.
[2:08pm] gavin: lmandel: I do have one thing to mention that I forgot about
[2:09pm] lmandel: gavin: roundtable please
[2:09pm] gavin: sure
[2:09pm] lmandel: KaiRo: Any audible today?
[2:09pm] KaiRo: lmandel: yes, a short one, as I said above already 
[2:10pm] lmandel: KaiRo: Thanks. Missed that above.
[2:10pm] KaiRo: lmandel: np
[2:11pm] jesup|laptop: "mandatory option" -- interesting phrase....
[2:12pm] RyanVM: am I the only one who heard "George Jetson"?
[2:12pm] vladan joined the chat room.
[2:13pm] kbrosnan: proud mozilla tradtion
[2:13pm] RyanVM: and no review from a build peer IIRC
[2:13pm] dolske: "lack of license review" !
[2:13pm] khuey: RyanVM: ms2ger was wrong
[2:14pm] khuey: I reviewed it
[2:14pm] RyanVM: ok
[2:14pm] blassey: oh hey, RyanVM, I meant to ask
[2:14pm] blassey: is there a list of central-matching trees?
[2:15pm] davidb joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] RyanVM: blassey: basically !aurora,beta,release,esr17,b2g18*
[2:15pm] blassey: that's a lot
[2:16pm] blassey: is there a way to hide a test across all of those that isn't going to each one in tbpl?
[2:16pm] RyanVM: blassey: not at the moment
[2:16pm] RyanVM: it's a feature we (the sheriffs) would love to have as well
[2:16pm] RyanVM: it's on the treeherder wishlist
[2:16pm] blassey: I can see that being quite useful
[2:17pm] RyanVM: yeah, we'd love for a hiding to ride the train stoo
[2:18pm] blassey: might make sense to have that be manifest based