Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-01-21 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 4.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 4.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 4.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 4.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Radio/Bluetooth/GPS (kenhkchang)
- 4.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.19 GFX (milan)
- 4.20 Identity (jedp)
- 4.21 JS (naveed)
- 4.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.23 Media (mreavy)
- 4.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.25 Performance (vladan)
- 4.26 Seceng (mmc)
- 4.27 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: November 20, 2023||Next Release: November 21, 2023|
|Central: 122||Aurora: 54||Beta: 121||Release:|
- Close to wrapping up Firefox 27 with Firefox 27 Beta 8 for Desktop and mobile gone-to-build yesterday
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 121 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- bug 749421 FIXED - You can now upload various types of files from your test runs by copying files into MOZ_UPLOAD_DIR.
- Most test jobs supported, look at log to see if MOZ_UPLOAD_DIR is being set.
- Please file a bug for job types that aren't yet supported that you need.
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- Firefox for Android continues to get love from the community.
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
App Tools (dtownsend)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- Source Editor improvements
- Highlighter in Browser Toolbox
- Numerous orange fixes
37 bugs fixed
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Fix uplifted up through Fx27 Beta bug 935676 - Flash doesn't work on 4.4 KitKat
- Enough has landed in for the new sync in Fx29, QA is now testing. Latest landings include:
- Lots of second screen-related landings: bug 953381 - Add generic support for casting a video to a second screen service
- bug 917896 Replaced progress spinner, page load time win
- We're spinning up a start-up perf effort bug 959776 - [meta][project] Improve startup performance
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- Version 1.3
- version 1.4
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 1.3 Bug Fixes
- Started on prep work and proof-of-concept on a couple of 1.4 feature targets
- Some folks from media team are in Taipei to discuss madai feature set
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 959487 - [MediaEncoder] Crash at imageclient when using MediaEncoder
- bug 926128 - reduce layer programs in use to 6, add colormatrix and blur support
- bug 946245 - [Display][gonk-kk] Porting GonkDisplay, nativewindow and libui
- bug 950317 - [emulator][mochitest] Setup eth0 IP address to NetworkManager for running PeerConnection mochitest cases
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 1.3 blockers
- Generate per-app memory consumption data for use in Datazilla to help with tarako memory goals.
- Eideticker CI up and running in London office.
- make test-perf now outputs to JSON file for better automation integration.
- impactjs library's memory usage identified as cause of some OOM; working with author to release new more memory-performant version.
- Gallery app OOM after editing photo fixed
- "refcount logging" for blob URIs now implemented.
- Memory tracking and footprint improvements.
- Performance test automation.
- Scrollgraph improvements.
- Investigate Datazilla launch latency perf results variability.
- Complete and ship remaining harnesses & ammeters.
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
No update this week. The Productivity team is in Taipei for a meetup & planning for 1.4/1.5 releases.
Firefox OS Radio/Bluetooth/GPS (kenhkchang)
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Actively fixing remaining async pan-zoom issues (Vivien helping a lot here, fixing Gecko bugs as well, thanks!)
- Investigating the performance regressions without tiling on Windows OMTC - we may not have a practical way out
- Implementing the hardware fence support on trunk (the original implementation was Gecko 28/Firefox OS 1.3 specific)
- Implementing will-change property
- Cut the rope regression fixed
- Ongoing Moz2D conversion work - getting help from Telenor/Comoyo
- Flash regression with text fixed, will ask for uplift approval
- Old DDB optimizations (Windows) were not - removing them
- Compiler (JIT)
- (bug 952891 - Implemented in-C++ pic for optimizing for-of over arrays. Needs changes to play well with GC.
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
- (bug 958726 - Uplifted to Aurora, Beta, and b2g26 to potentially reduce crash rates. Rejected from ESR24
- Compiler (JIT)
No update. Servo team is having a work week in SF.
- TURN TCP is being selected when it shouldn't be (randomly). This can hurt call delay. We're actively working to fix this ASAP. Note: TURN TCP is only in 28 & 29
- Fixed bug 960296 which caused video to freeze and not recover when using TURN TCP. We're nominating it for uplift to Aurora (28)
- Landed support for about:webrtc and ICE debugging panel there; more stats coming
- WebRTC (audio-only) will be in B2G 1.3. Currently running emulator mochitests by hand once a day until a bug in the framework for the emulator is fixed.
- About to land update of libyuv and will be moving it to media/libyuv to enable non-webrtc use (bug 880419 and bug 813645)
- Speculative network connections: database now works well enough (no longer gobbles too much CPU and disk space) that we expect to keep it preff'd on in aurora/beta/release (bug 945779, bug 947745, bug 948448)
- Q1 goals: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-Q1-Goals#Perf
- bug 948092: smaug removed "favor perf mode" which prioritized Gecko events at the expense of OS events -- it could make Firefox less responsive in certain scenarios
- No updates
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Nathan Froyd reduced the size of 32-bit libxul by ~220KB by packing JSJitInfo structs more carefully. This is the latest in a number of recent optimizations he's done to static code and data size, which are welcome because that's an area that doesn't get much attention.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 8.32 (Previous Week: 11.12).
- Metro mochitest shutdown timeouts still #1 non-infra issue, progress being made finding cause.
- Concerns over general slowdown of mochitest-bc test suite. Many recent intermittents have been "fixed" by increasing the timeout for the test, but root problem appears to be tests that normally run in short intervals randomly taking much longer (2-3x, if not more). Some sort of bad GC behavior?
- Linux debug mochitest-bc now takes 140-150 min to run, similar for OSX 10.6 debug. Debug takes 100+ minutes on all platforms.
- Filed bug 962156 for investigating.
- 19 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look OK, but desktop beta is still higher in crash rates for 27 than for 26, and Nightly is significantly bad (see below).
- bug 962141 is JS crash spike starting with 2014-01-17 Nightly builds - overall crash rates are up to 2-3x of what they are usually.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributors kcarchana77, and Art Rothstein! Here are some highlights:
- Tom Schuster (evilpie) handle-ized XPIDL (bug 939294).
- Ali Ak made a bunch of GFX changes (bug 958489, bug 958490, bug 959123, bug 959124, bug 959527).
- Stefan (stefanh) made OS X sheets appear more native (bug 889085, bug 957209).
- James Kitchener (jkitch) improved some MathML layout (bug 442637).
- Yeuk Hon Wong (yeukhon) improved the authoring experience for CSP (bug 587377, bug 918397).
- Sachin Hosmani (sachin) implemented addon block regexes (bug 897735).
- Frédéric Wang (fredw) fixed a bunch of MathML problems (bug 713606, bug 832800, bug 838506, bug 838509).
- Bob Owen (bobowen) disallowed navigation on sandboxed iframes (bug 785310, bug 944363).
- Marco Castelluccio (marco) implemented new app APIs for receipts (bug 757226, bug 959420).
- Andy Wingo (wingo) improved SpiderMonkey (bug 956173, bug 960168).
- Ms2ger fought entropy in the codebase (bug 924160, bug 937952, bug 949627, bug 952016, bug 956015, bug 956475, bug 956553, bug 956862).
- Nick Lebedev implemented touch-action for pointer events (bug 795567, bug 958984).
- Josiah Brunner (JosiahOne) improved the busy cursor on OS X (bug 411273).
- [first patch!] Charly Molter, and Alex Henrie (with the help of roc) fixed textarea padding (2002 bug!) (bug 157846).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
13:58 lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-01-21 13:58 KaiRo: bsmedberg: yup 13:59 bsmedberg: KaiRo: I'll talk about it, then. I think we should back out the whole lot unless there's a fix today. 13:59 kbrosnan: re-center mtv camera 14:00 KaiRo: bsmedberg: well, if the regression testing from Alice points in the right direction, we might have a single bug landing that might be it 14:00 lmandel: KaiRo, bsmedberg: stability update today? 14:00 bsmedberg: KaiRo: which bug is this? I don't see data in bug 962141 14:00 firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=962141 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, JS crash spike starting with 2014-01-17 Nightly builds 14:01 KaiRo: bsmedberg: see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=961466#c1 14:01 firebot: Bug 961466 cri, --, ---, nobody, NEW, crash in js::GCMarker::processMarkStackTop(js::SliceBudget&) on outlook.com 14:01 KaiRo: I pointed to that bug in the other one 14:01 KaiRo: lmandel: we have something today, yes 14:01 KaiRo: lmandel: bsmedberg will do it 14:02 kbrosnan: not so nice for the tv 14:04 bajaj: elan: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/channel-mtg-agenda 14:04 bajaj: check the mobile section 14:05 blassey: totally breaking the "no questions" rule 14:06 lmandel: blassey: questions are cool for releng 14:06 elan: bajaj: thank you. you're pointing to the crash stats for android? 14:06 robcee: should qualify: *some* browser chrome. 14:06 bajaj: elan: yep 14:06 catlee-mtg: there's a no questions rule? 14:07 mschifer: questions are at the end 14:07 lmandel: catlee-mtg: No questions during team standups 14:07 lmandel: or, as mschifer said, save your questions for the end. 14:07 elan: yes, it looks like we're inching the right direction, now 14:08 mfinkle: robcee, *some* ? 14:08 mschifer: of course, questions asked in irc don't count. 14:08 catlee-mtg: :) 14:09 mfinkle: blassey, http://eideticker.mozilla.org/#/samsung-gn/nytimes-load/timetostableframe 14:09 mfinkle: ~3secs 14:09 robcee: mfinkle: doesn't work for anonymous nodes, i.e., you can't inspect into a <button> element to see the image or text elements. 14:09 mfinkle: robcee, seems sane 14:09 robcee: but works well for lots of high-level xul stuff 14:09 robcee: and we'll get into the xbl components soonish, I think 14:09 blassey: mfinkle: as I said, embarrassing 14:10 blassey: though I think the embarrassment belongs to google, not us 14:10 mfinkle: blassey, i feel some of it