Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-04-08 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 4.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.4 Developer Tools (Mossop)
- 4.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.6 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.7 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.8 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.9 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.17 GFX (milan)
- 4.18 Identity (jedp)
- 4.19 JS (naveed)
- 4.20 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.21 Media (jesup)
- 4.22 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.23 Performance (vladan/avih)
- 4.24 Seceng (grobinson)
- 4.25 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.26 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: October 19, 2020||Next Release: October 20, 2020|
|Central: 83||Aurora: 54||Beta: 82||Release: 81.0|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 82 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- heads down.
- goals almost ready for prime time.
App Tools (prouget)
- Released FxOS Simulators 1.4 and 1.5
- network monitor now works with FxOS
- Gaia Developer HUD now supports certified apps and includes memory widgets and CSP errors
- Some Gaia tests now instrument the devtools actors
- Preferences (about:config) actor has landed (UI in review)
- Fennec tabs support has landed
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (Mossop)
- bug 850336 - Box model is editable
- bug 985924 - CodeMirror updated
- bug 899054 - Add-on debugger landed, blog post and more features coming soon
- No update.
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Desktop process update. Two major parts to the new Firefox process:
- We're working in two week cycles. See details at Firefox/IterativeDevelopment. So far half the team has been taking part, and more of the team will be joining as Firefox 29 development winds down.
- We're tracking bugs slightly differently, using the firefox-backlog flag. See these firefox-dev posts:
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Some great WIP's
- bug 776027 - Add Web Activities support to Android
- bug 759448 - Prevent listeners from being registered until needed. Worked on resolving undefined xpcom/xul symbols is WebRTC code for Roku
- bug 981694 - Show a notice to beta users when we turn telemetry on by default on the beta channel - Firefox for Android
- bug 977196 - UI Telemetry for opening urls
- bug 988635 - Telemetry: Device orientation
- Nightly and Aurora users should test out Margaret's home feed panels: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/home-feeds/
- Preff'd off but landed \o/
bug 921948 - Integrate roku support into Firefox
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- Fixed bugs which were reported from in-house certification test (PTS test).
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
- Figured out why memory reporter doesn't work in Tarako PVT
- Analyzed 19 Tarako bugs which were reported (or not even reported, just in partner's ITS) from SPRD.
- New DeviceStorage API and FeatureDetection API
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- Team was at Taipei Workweek 2014.03.31 - 04.04
- Agenda can be found here: https://fxos-perf.etherpad.mozilla.org/6
- Notes can be found here: https://fxos-perf.etherpad.mozilla.org/workweek2014q1
- Team was at Taipei Workweek 2014.03.31 - 04.04
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 989595 - [Tarako]wifi stay searching after turn on/off wifi some times
- bug 984919 - [RIL][DSDS] New calls an inactive SIM when there is an active SIM should be rejected
- bug 889737 - [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions
- bug 983522 - Enable cell broadcast and broadcast SMS at the same time.
- bug 983315 - [Messages][DSDS] Provide a feedback while we're switching the data APN to send a MMS
- bug 959434 - [B2G][NFC]Support secure element for NFC daemon.
- bug 978027 - [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
- bug 933588 - B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
- bug 989834 - It takes 10 seconds to unload wifi driver on Sora
- bug 980701 - [B2G][Gaia][System][Buri] The proximity sensor activates unnecessarily when not in a call causing glitchy behavior.
- bug 949675 - Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
- bug 975778 - [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling scenario.
- bug 984326 - [B2G] [RIL] [CDMA] call waiting isn't working properly. The 2nd remote party cannot hear voice.
- bug 961921 - B2G RIL: [DSDS] Separate roaming preference for each client.
- bug 986365 - Crash in supplicant because of closing supplicant while waiting for event.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- Back from a work week
- Big ticket items proposed for the next couple of trains:
- OMTC desktop (let's us simplify and remove some of the main thread compositing code)
- Skia content Windows (clear some way for the B2G and Android Skia content)
- APZ improvements (some architectural, some performance, some usability)
- v-sync on B2G (smooth scrolling, more consistent scrolling speed)
- Cloud Services work-week last week in MV
- Please keep testing Sync on Desktop
- Garbage Collection
- NOTE: We are aware there are many crashes in Nightly. We are working to stamp those out quickly. If the crash stats (and performance) are not
back in line by the week before uplift, we will disable GGC for this cycle. Note, b2g and mobile are still building non-ggc, so the non-ggc paths are still getting actively tested.
- Front End and Other
- Speed: Made progress on the remaining issues for bug 931668 in 台北 two weeks ago. This eliminates the per-descendant cost of many (but not all) style changes of noninherited properties, though a bunch of "interesting" cases disable the optimization.
- Speed: bug 950526 landed on inbound yesterday; this avoids reconstructing text runs for style changes to text frames that don't require this work
- Test Coverage (for Speed): bug 964646 changed off-main-thread (OMT) Animations from having very little test coverage to actually having some decent test coverage, though more is still needed
- New Web Feature: bug 985838 changed the syntax for CSS Custom Properties for Cascading Variables (a.k.a. CSS Variables) from a "var-" prefix to a "--" prefix, and bug 957833 enabled CSS variables by default for all release builds so that they should ship in Firefox 31 unless something changes
- echo cancellation in getUserMedia bug 694814 is landing and bouncing for multiple b2g-emulator issues (none of which are bugs in the patches). See m.d.platform for discussion. tl;dr: b2g emulator sucks perf-wise and that messes up classes of tests.
- emulator is an unending source of pain. Cost us most of a week for two people already on this alone
- This will enable noise suppression by default as a trial.
- Next steps are to refactor the MediaStreamGraph to change all the time units and reclock based on the output clock. padenot is working on this
- Necko will be reporting incomplete downloads as errors (bug 237623). This is so the Download Manager can detect incomplete downloads, but will affect other clients too.
- The necko bits to make off-main-thread Websockets work are landed (bug 925623). Now we need the DOM work to make websockets in workers use it.
- Decided (with gfx, others) to mostly ignore small OS X 10.6 regressions.
- Addon manager: quicker startup block of addon compatibility check bug 760356
- Telemetry dashboard: ability to see own jobs logs and data, added google analytics.
- Stopped working and filing power usage bugs (took a ~month). Facebook uses more power on Firefox than other browsers bug 962594. How to address?
- Talos profiling - still failing on windows. Still being worked on.
- Session restore: talos test being finalized. Planning optimizations.
- asyncCopy working on fully off main thread.
- Async test errors: harness now treats uncaught async exceptions as errors, now fixing tests.
- Working with fx team to unblock australis regressions (linux keyhole).
- jmaher started filing regressions, big question: what to do about them? acceptance threshold, etc.
- mozpkix, our new certificate validation library, is on in Nightly! Please consider helping us by testing it or reviewing the code. See the announcement on dev-tech-crypto for details.
- Bug 971341, a nasty bug that prevented users from accessing pages with invalid CSP's, was fixed in Nightly and uplifted to Aurora and Beta.
- No update this week.
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Kyle Huey, Ben Kelly, Andrew McCreight and Nathan Froyd did some great work tracking down and fixing some slow B2G leaks.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 11.88 (Previous Week: 8.86).
- Steady progress being made on Cedar getting mochitest-bc running in chunks with devtools in a separate test suite on all platforms. Hoping to get it in production by the end of the week.
- 13 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look good for beta and release, the nightly and aurora issues are known and tracked.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- Microsoft is EOL'ing Windows XP this week: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx
- Proposal: Move Thunderbird and SeaMonkey to mozilla-central: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/P8oHKTCWSiQ
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Dragos Nicolae! Here are some highlights:
- Tom Schuster (evilpie) fixed some e10s problems (bug 910729, bug 980582).
- Stefan (stefanh) fixed a preference UI issue (bug 957281).
- [first patch!] Noel Cragg fixed a XULRunner startup assertion (bug 964902).
- Douglas Crosher (dougc) fixed an asm.js crash (bug 919592).
- James Kitchener (jkitch) corrected a MathML layout assertion (bug 947557).
- [first patch!] Aaro Koskinen made SpiderMonkey build on PA-RISC (bug 958940).
- Oleg Romashin (romaxa) added pointer capture for pointer events (bug 968148).
- Masatoshi Kimura (emk) fixed an FTP encoding problem (bug 989576, bug 991690).
- Marco Castelluccio (marco) fixed some b2g test errors (bug 956904, bug 991246).
- Rik Cabanier turned on Path objects for canvas (bug 988088, bug 988409).
- Tetsuharu Ohzeki (tetsuharu) fixed a Places helper (bug 984015).
- Branislav Rankov refactored SpiderMonkey for the MIPS backend (bug 985876).
- Anuj Agarwal (anujagarwal464) updated some old hashtable users (bug 975681, bug 984124).
- Rick Eyre (reyre) furthered the WebVTT implementation (bug 879431, bug 882677, bug 903030).
- Ms2ger converted an XPIDL DOM interface to WebIDL (bug 860731).
- [first patch!] Arun Raghavan fixed a Firefox interaction with PulseAudio (bug 986985).
- Martin Stransky fixed some GTK3 issues (bug 982964, bug 983903).
- Xidorn Quan refactored some CSS code (bug 990297).
- [first patch!] xKhorasan made the document URL property follow the spec (bug 859095).
- [first patch!] Danny Chen (DChen) fixed a video playback UI problem (bug 729111).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:58 KaiRo: bsmedberg: do you have any voice update on stability for the platform mtg? 11:01 KaiRo: cpeterson: if bsmedberg doesn't have anything, we have no voice update from stability today 11:01 cpeterson: ok 11:01 bsmedberg: KaiRo: you really don't need to ask me each week. If I have something, I'll have put it in the wiki. 11:02 Waldo: in living color 11:02 KaiRo: bsmedberg: ok 11:04 Pike: is everyone silent how it's supposed to be? 11:05 Pike: oh, voice update 11:05 kbrosnan: there is sound 11:05 jedp: Mossop that's awesome 11:06 jedp: gavin do you have a link to that post? 11:06 gavin: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2014-April/001548.html 11:07 gavin: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2014-April/001551.html 11:07 gavin: I'll put those in the wiki 11:07 jedp: thanks 11:15 dveditz: I think dougt is exagerating 11:15 dougt: ? 11:16 dveditz: platform engineering mtg 11:16 dveditz: you were quoted as saying the pkix change is the scariest thing to land in Firefox in 10 years 11:16 dveditz: I think misquoted.... 11:16 kbrosnan: SeaMonkey not spider [in comm-centrl] 11:16 dholbert: cpeterson, ^ 11:17 Waldo: and yet we're still supporting it [Windows XP] a year longer :-\ or so I remember 11:17 dveditz: if it [mozkpix] really breaks the web we would find it in nightly/aurora 11:17 dveditz: if it makes it past that it will break edge cases (possibly big ones) at most 11:18 khuey: I think the real concern is what vulnerabilities we will introduce