Please use "Edit with form" above to edit this page.
|NPAPI AsyncDrawing specification and implementation|
|Release target||Firefox 13|
|Status note||This was on hold for agreement from plugin-futures, but we'd like to go ahead and implement this with Adobe so that we can move away from windowed plugins even without general buyin. This appears to be landed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=651192 so I'm updating this feature page. Please revert if I'm wrong - Asa (2012-05-02)|
|Product manager||Chris Blizzard|
|Directly Responsible Individual||Josh Aas|
|Lead engineer||Bas Schouten|
|Security lead||Curtis Koenig|
|QA lead||Virgil Dicu|
|Product marketing lead||`|
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
This feature allows plugins to asynchronously draw to surfaces. These surfaces may be located in video memory, and so this allows hardware accelerated plugin drawing.
2. Users & use cases
- Make it possible for plugins to draw, explicitly asynchronously, to a bitmap/software surface.
- Make it possible for plugins to draw, explicitly asynchronously, to a hardware accelerated surface - DXGI or DirectX 9Ex.
- Allow Flash to never request windowed plugin mode
- Needs testing with a version of Flash that implements the specification.
- Needs a design and implementation security review.
- Non-Windows implementations or specifications for accelerated drawing.
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
6. User experience design
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
- Patch still being developed
Stage 4: Development
The specification was designed by Bas Schouten and Josh Aas, with input from Robert O'Callahan. The Windows implementation is being done by Bas Schouten.
- bug 651192 Implement new AsyncDrawing model for plugins
- Complete the implementation of the specification.
- Get a build of Flash that implements this specification.
- Get the specification ratified by the plugin-futures group.
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
|Theme / Goal||`|
|Secondary roadmap||Plugin Interactions|
Team status notes